When Will This End?

Chapter 5

Image

I couldn't believe what happened. I sat there with my mouth agape. I saw Frank throw the guy against the wall and give him a punch square in the face. It looked like it knocked him out good. I blinked a few times as Frank made his way to me. He reached his hands out to me and helped me stand up.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I couldn't say anything.

"Are you?" He asked again.

I built up the courage to ask him "Why? Why did you help me?"

"I guess that's a yes?" He asked.

"Wha-?" I began to ask.

"Look. I was walking by and I saw you were in trouble. I wasn't gonna walk away and pretend I didn't see anything."

"Oh..." There was a short silence. "Thanks." I whispered lightly.

"It was no problem... Your okay though, right?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm good."

We walked out, side by side, from behind the alley way. It was a silent walk until Frank spoke up.

"Are you sure your okay?" He asked nicer this time.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I lied. My neck was really killing me. I looked at him and smiled sincerely as we approached my house. "You really didn't have to walk me home you know, but thanks anyway and thanks for helping me."

He smiled back."It really wasn't a problem. Plus I had to save you. If I didn't you would've gotten hurt and probably killed. Then I wouldn't have anyone to annoy me anymore." He said laughing.

"Ha ha Frank." I said sarcastically.

He smiled and said "I gue-" But he was interrupted by my house door opening.

We both looked up at the door to see Brian holding Emma in his arms. He saw Frank and I and smiled but then looked confused.

"Ana!" Emma yelled happily.

"Hey kids. Aren't you home a little early? Where's Maddie?" He asked.

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't have told him that I skipped school.

"Our last period was dropped, Mr.Thompson ." Frank said saving my ass.

I smiled at him gratefully. "Thanks." I whispered over to him.

"No problem." He told me.

"Well, it's great to see you two getting along." Brian said as he made his way down the front steps holding Emma.

"Ana! Ana!" Emma yelled as they got closer.

She opened her arms out to me and I grabbed her in a hug. When her little arms gripped around my neck it hurt so bad, but I sucked it up and hugged her back.

"I'll see you when Emma and I get back from the park. Your mom's working late tonight so... dinner is on hold for the time being." Brian told me as I gave Emma back to him.

"Oh it's okay. I'll cook something up." I said with a smile.

"Mac n' Cheese again?" He asked.

Frank laughed a little.

I nodded while rubbing my neck. "Ha ha, yeah. It's my specialty."

"Ha okay, see you later. See ya Frank." Brian said. "Say bye Emma." He told Emma.

She gave a little giggle and said "Bye Fwankie."

He laughed and gave her a high five. "See ya Emma."

"Bye guys." Brian said before he and Emma left.

"Um...Do you want to stay for dinner?" I asked Frank.

He smiled sincerely and said "I'd like to but I have band practice in about a half hour. So..."

"Really?...Mikey didn't say anything about a practice to me." I said unsure.

Frank sighed.

"Oh...it's okay if you don't want to. I just wanted to thank you for-"

"No. No I would like to but...I -I'm just not in the mood to talk or see Maddie." He said sadly.

"Oh? Is everything okay with you two?" I asked.

"Not at the moment. But, hey, thanks for the invite. I'll take a rain check on the dinner." He said as he turned around to walk away.

"Wait Frank?"

He turned back around. "Yeah?"

"Can you...can you not mention what happened today to anyone? I-I'd really appreciate it." I told him.

He nodded. "Sure." He said with a smile.

I smiled back at him. Then I made my way up the stairs but stopped when I heard Frank call after me.

"Ana!" He yelled walking back.

"Yeah Frank?"

"I- I just wanted to say that I'm sorry." He said looking me right in the eye.

"Sorry? For what?" I asked.

"For making you cry today. I didn't mean to hurt your feeling that bad. I was just angry and I got out of hand." He said truthfully.

"Oh...It's okay. You made up for it." I told him with a smile.

He smiled back. Boy did he have a great smile.

"I owe you one Frank." I told him before I walked into the house and closed the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are patching up between these two don't ya think?
By the way you guys, I'm in the process of writing a Rhys(Spider) Webb story. Be sure to check that out as well. :)