I'd Never Thought They'd Get Me Here

More pills and pain

Cat’s POV

I lay on the bed, watching as the others slept. I couldn’t really leave the room with out waking up all the others, but I needed to soon… I guess I’ll have to wait until Em and Frank come back. But I don’t know how long I’m allowed to go with out my pills. It’s already been 3 days. Patting my pockets I checked I still had all the little boxes. I was starting to run low and would be totally fucked if I lost any of them.

Ray stirred slightly on the floor, his motion nearly giving me a heart attack, which in my case was no joke. Everyone looked so peaceful and calm when sleeping, like they were briefly escaping everything. I reached for my bag and quietly pulled out the Kerrang! magazine I’d taken from Tescos. I really couldn’t sleep so I might as well read.

Some shitty main article about a new band that I don’t like the look of… Heh, a poster of My Chem, don’t really need one now I guess. Reviews on other bands, upcoming events, in next weeks issue. I flipped back to the upcoming events, to see who I could have gone to see if this whole thing hadn’t happened. Lostprophets and Fall Out Boy were playing up in Wales around today. Wonder if they’re still alive… maybe we could go have a look when we’ve been round London.

“Cat.” A voice hissed. I looked up to see Em standing in the doorway. “Your turn.”

I nodded and got up, poking Ray as I did so because he was closest. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes as I gestured that it was our turn to go on watch and got up. Put in the corridor we sat on the floor. I pulled out my pill boxes and Ray looked at them in surprise.

“What are they?” He asked, watching as I pulled out the fifth and final box.

“Uhm, codine, aspirin, losartan, tamadol and amitiptyline.” I listed off, pointing to each box.

“Uhm… and what are they for?” He asked.

“I have a heart condition.” I explained. “And I get pains in my joints, so I have to take painkillers, the things for my heart and antidepressants because the chemical content helps my joints.”

“What’s wrong with your heart?” He asked, still slightly confused.

“Uhm, I can’t exactly remember. It’s got a really long name.” I replied. “Basically I’ve only got half a heart, I had a stroke which affected my brain a bit when I was younger, and now I have these joint pains which no one knows what the hell they are.”

“Oh, why are you taking the pills now?”

“The others don’t really know… you only know because I’m desperate and need them now.”

“Oh…” He watched as I swallowed the five little pills dry. “Are you sure you can take them all at once?”

“Uhm…” I looked down at the boxes. “I have no idea.”

He sighed and for the rest of out watch kept his eyes on my, in case I passed out or anything.

[A/N: thanks go to my sister who let me steal her pill names and heart condition, even if she didn't know what exactly it was called...]

Lucy’s POV

Mikey woke me up after being woken by Ray. We silently made our way out to the corridor, careful not to wake the others. Mikey sat opposite me and I brought my knees up to my chin, desperately trying not to fall back asleep.

“Are you ok?” Mikey asked me after a few long minutes.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied, trying hard not to yawn. “Just tired.”

“No, I mean after the baby and the other things.”

I sighed. The baby had been getting to me I think, it was in my dreams before I was woken and I bet it’ll be in them when I go back to sleep. I didn’t mind killing the others, they were bigger and trying to hurt me. But an innocent baby… I know it could have harmed us all if its virus managed to spread but it was so small.

“I’m scared.” I admitted to Mikey. “I was scared when that thing grabbed me, I thought I was going to get infected. I could have hurt you all if I was infected. I’ve never been so fucking scared in my entire life.”

“But you didn’t hurt us so you don’t have to worry.” He pointed out. “And you didn’t say anything about the baby.”

“It was a little baby…” I whispered, looking at my palms. “An innocent baby, and I had to shoot it. I know it was already dead, but it was so small and helpless. It might not have even hurt us.”

Without even looking I could tell that Mikey’s face was concerned. I heard him shuffle slightly and crawl over to me. He sat next to me and hesitantly put an arm around my shoulder. I leant against him and sighed. We spent the rest of our watch in silence, just thinking about how many innocent lives had been taken by this thing. And how many would have to endure death again.