How I Missed You.

Unspoken Words.

He let me inside without a word and I waited in the hall while he closed the door. Still, without speaking he led me up to his room, it was very unsettling.

“Jacob,” I started once he had his bedroom door closed.

“What?” He crossed the room and sat down on his unmade bed.

“Yesterday,” I felt a twinge in my nose as I remembered the pain, “that was all just a misunderstanding.”

“Oh yeah?” He glared.

“Yes,” I took a deep breath and sighed, “When Isabella said she liked someone else, well it wasn’t me.”

“No?”

“No,” how could I explain this properly? I should’ve rehearsed or something, “Look, Jacob, “I joined him on his bed, careful not to get too close incase he lashed out again, “I don’t know who Isabella likes, I don’t know half of her friends. But I know I haven’t seen her in nine years. Nine years ago she was my best friend, the closest thing I had to a sister and now it’s still the same. She’s like a sister to me, man. I could never have feelings for her like that, and I don’t think she could have feeling for me either. Whoever this guy is that she likes, I don’t know him and she sure as hell never spoke to me about any guy... so, yeah,” I finished lamely.

He was silent for a moment, looking down at the racing cars on his boxers, “I’m sorry man,” he finally spoke, looking up at me, “I guess I just kind of over reacted. I never thought it could be someone else. I mean I actually thought she liked me. God, I was so stupid. This has never happened to me, girls never meant anything. I’m sorry I punched you.”

I smiled, “That’s okay man, just next time... don’t aim for my face.”

He cracked a smile.

“Come on man, you’ll make us late for school,” I laughed chucking his school shirt at him.

I waited down stairs as Jacob got ready, everything felt back to normal and surprisingly I felt closer to Jacob, like we could actually be real friends. I sighed content, today was going to be a good day.

We walked to school together and Jacob seemed very interested in finding out who Isabella did like. I failed to tell him that Isabella had lied; I figured that might make him mad.

When we got to school Cooper cornered me in science.

“What?” I asked backing up against the lab table.

“You,” Cooper said confused.

“Yeah, me...”

“You look... happy,” Cooper said.

“Why shouldn’t I be?” I asked.

“Well yesterday, you seemed really far away from happy.”

“Oh right,” I sighed, “I’ll tell you later ‘kay?”

When lunch came Cooper was waiting for me under the gum tree instead of playing football with the other guys and I proceeded to tell him about what happened yesterday and this morning, telling him the whole truth that I hadn’t told Jacob. Cooper was my best mate.

Isabella

I got up early that morning; I didn’t feel like walking to school with Jamie. I felt so ashamed of myself; I had caused so much trouble between two friends. What if Jacob doesn’t believe James? Then I’ll straighten it out, of course.

I trudged my way to school, the cold morning air numbing my face.

When I arrived at school Mitchie was there waiting for me, curious to know why I hadn’t arrived with Jamie. I just told her that I needed time to think so I walked alone.

When lunch came I decided to call up James and found out how it went. I hid behind one of the gum trees and pulled out my phone, you weren’t supposed to have phones at school. Mitchie and Josh were making out on the other side so I was fairly certain no one was going to come close enough to see me using my phone.

“Hello?” I spoke into the phone.

“Hey,” I was greeted by a cheery but surprised James.

“How’d it go?” I asked, due to his tone I was almost certain it went well.

He sighed, “He no longer hates me.”

I smiled, “What did you tell him?”

“Just that I didn’t know about the other guy, I didn’t tell him that you lied about liking someone else, and that whoever it was you like it wasn’t me ‘cause we’re like brother and sister and that could never happen. So he was like “I’m sorry, I over reacted.”

“That’s great James. Although he probably hates me still,” I sighed.

“Maybe for now, but he’ll get over it soon enough. He’ll find another girl,” James assured me, laughing.

I laughed to, Jacob didn’t seem like such a bad guy but he was definitely a player.

“So I take it he won’t be coming to our study sessions any more?”

“Hmmm... I guess not. Hey, we could have one tomorrow, since our last one got cut short,” James suggested.

“Sounds like a great idea,” I beamed, “how about we do it at my house this time?”

“Great,” James said, “I’ll bring my mum.”

I smiled, “Great, it’s a date,” I heard the bell ring in the distance and Mitchie and Josh came around from behind the tree, “I gotta go. Bell just rang,” I told James, “I’ll talk to you after school.”

“Yeah, sure thing,” James said, “Get off the phone!” I heard someone on the other end yell. “Just a second,” James yelled back.

I laughed, “I’ll see you later James.”

“Bye.”

~~~~~

Even though I ditched him this morning Jamie still wanted to walk me home. So I decided on spilling the beans about Jacob to him.

When I finished he started laughing, although I didn’t see what was so funny.

“He-fainted?” He said between laughs.

“Yes, and don’t make fun of James, he’s my best friend remember?” I told him angrily.

“Right, right, sorry,” but he was still smiling.

I slapped his arm, walking ahead and turning around to face him, “I want you too meet him. I reckon you’d get on great.”

“You think so, huh?”

“Yes,” I said, pulling the ‘s’ out long. “He’s coming over to my house tomorrow afternoon to do homework. You should come.”

“Well, okay. I don’t have anything else to do, so why not?”

“Yay,” I smiled stopping and giving him a hug, “You’ll like him.”

“We’ll see.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So here it is, as promised, Chapter 24. This chapter is leading up to something really important in the story.