Sequel: Jamie's New Love

Jamie's New Life

Chapter 3

I reached the living room and the police were questioning Billie Joe. Then, the cop with the hat on looked my way and smiled. I smiled weakly and stepped closer to Mike and hugged his waist. I was short for my age. He walked my way and bent down to eye level. He took off his sunglasses, revealing his soft hazel eyes.
“So, how old are you?” he asked nicely.
“Ten, eleven in September.” I answered softly.
“What is your name?” he questioned.
I didn’t answer and I buried my head into Mike’s side.
“She seems to have taken a liking to you Mr. Dirnt.” the officer said.
“Well I guess so. I will probably look into adopting her since she has no mother, no father, and thank god no step father.” Mike responded.
“What is her name?” the officer asked Mike.
“Her name is Jamie but she likes to be called Jimmy.” Mike answered.
“Okay.” he said as he walked outside.
I took my head out of Mike’s side and looked up at him. He was looking down at me and smiling. I smiled weakly back to him.
“Jimmy, why didn’t you tell him your name?” he asked me.
“I don’t know. I don’t know a lot of things anymore.” I answered.

Mike’s POV

I looked into her deep brown eyes and saw how much she was hurting, not only physically but mentally. Her step father hurt her in more ways than one.
“Jamie, did anyone in school find out what was happening at home?” I asked quietly.
She didn’t answer. She only pulled my hand and led me to the kitchen.
“Jamie.” I said again.
“Every day I gym, I failed.” she said.
“What? Why?” I asked.
“Because I wouldn’t change into my gym uniform. I couldn’t bare the brunt of the humiliation of the kids if they saw my scars, bruises, and cuts. They all saw my black eyes but never anything else. I always told them if they asked that I got in a fight, which gave me a bad reputation but I didn’t give a shit. I never had a good one anyway.” she explained.
“Then, one day, I was tending a cut that came open and I didn’t have my shirt on. Then, one of those teenie type preppy bitches came in and saw all my bruises, cuts, and scars. She turned and ran out of the bathroom with an evil happy grin on her face.” she continued.
“Let me guess. She told every person she saw.” I guessed.
“Bingo. The next day, Kyle, the guy I had a crush on, came up to me and said, “I’ll give you twenty bucks if you have sex with me.” she said.
“And, we are only in the fifth grade.” she said.
“That bitch.” I said.
“Tell me about it.” she said.
“Anyways, I found the bitch in the cafeteria and spoke my mind. I cussed her out and all that good stuff. She called me something I forget what but I lost it and knocked her lights out. I was suspended and that night, I got a good one from my step dad.” she continued.
“I bet.” I said and then we went silent.
Then BJ came into the kitchen.
“Hey Mike, the police want to talk to you and social services want to talk to Jimmy. I’ll stay with her.” BJ informed.
“Come on Jamie.” I said, standing up.

Jamie’s POV

Mike went out the front door to talk to the police. Billie Joe and I stood in the middle of the living room. I stayed extra close to him for this part. He bent over and hugged me. He also kissed the top of my head. I stared into his soft, green eyes. They had a way of making you feel very, very safe.
“Okay Jamie, let’s get started. Please sit down.” the lady said.
Billie and I sat down on the large couch. I huddled into Billie and hugged him. He put his arm around my shoulders to make me feel better.
“Well Mr. Armstrong, she seems to like you.” the lady said.
“Yeah, she’s taken a liking to me and Mike. Mike is looking into adopting her.” Billie Joe answered.
“Well, that is great.” she responded in a cheery voice. She made me sick.
“Well Jamie, can you tell me what Mike and Billie did for you?” she asked.
I just looked up to Billie for guidance.
“Go ahead Jimmy.” he said.
“Jimmy? Her name is Jamie.” the lady said.
“She likes to be called Jimmy.” Billie snapped.
“All I can remember is that my step dad fell asleep and I got as far as the bottom of the stairs before he yelled my name. I then made a run for the front door. I got it open and Mike and Billie were walking down the other side of the street. My step dad pulled me back into the doorway a little and I yelled help and please at the top of my lungs. Then my step dad pulled me back into the house and slapped me and I hit my head and blacked out.” I explained.
“Is that all you remember?” she asked
I nodded. Then I felt Billie’s hand rub up and down my back. I felt so protected and safe when I was with him and or Mike. I felt like I couldn’t be hurt.
The lady got, picked up her brief case, and started to leave.
“Wait!” I suddenly yelled.
“What is it Ja.. Jimmy?” she asked.
“What happened to my step father?” I asked, just to find out.
“He died on the way to the hospital.” she said.
“Will Billie be arrested?” I asked.
“No, he is not guilty for his death Jimmy.” she answered.
“Will I have to live in an orphanage?” I asked worryingly.
“No, since Mike is interested to adopting you, we will skip to the process of trying were you live with him for a month and see how it goes. If everything goes well, you will become Jamie ‘Jimmy’ Mathews Dirnt.” she explained.
“Okay.” I said simply.
She left and I hugged BJ so hard he coughed.

Mike came in and hugged me as well.
“Jamie, I think you will like it here. And, Monday, you are starting at a new school, not your old school.” he said, with light in his bright blue eyes.
I hugged him immediately and felt so happy I cried.