Sequel: Jamie's New Love

Jamie's New Life

Chapter 6

Lunch ended, then the day ended. Thank God it did.
Pete, Patrick, Andy, and Joe followed me home and I felt safe with them. I didn’t really know them all that well but something about them made me safe.
“Jamie, why do you like to be called Jimmy? It’s a guy name.” Pete asked.
“Pete.” Patrick said.
“It’s okay Patrick. I like to be called that because my only friend at my old school called me that. Jimmy is the character on the ‘American Idiot’ CD by Green Day.” I explained.
“Oh. Did you listen to it a lot?” he asked again.
“Yeah, I burnt two CD’s of it. I’m on the third one.” I said with a laugh.

We reached my house and Mike was home.
“Wow. You have a big house.” Joe said in amazement.
“No. I don’t. Mike does.” I said, starting to laugh.
“Mike! I’m home! I brought some friends over!” I yelled out.
“I’m in the living room with the guys!” he yelled back
The guys followed me as we entered the family room.
“Hey BJ, Tre.” I said
“Hey.” they all said.
“Mike, this is Pete, Patrick, Joe, and Andy.” I introduced.
They all had a shocked look on their faces.
“Hey guys. This is Billie Joe and this is Tre. I’m Mike.” Mike said, pointing to BJ and Tre.
“We are going to go upstairs and work on homework.” I said.
“Okay.” he answered, before getting back to his conversation.

We got to my room and sat on the floor.
“Jamie, you never said Mike Dirnt adopted you.” Pete said.
“I didn’t want to make a big fuss about it.” I answered.
“So anyway, why did Mike adopt you?” Patrick said, starting a new conversation.
“Before I say anything, you guys have to promise to never use it against me, or tell anyone else.” I said.
“We all promise.” Pete said, putting a hand on my shoulder.
The others nodded their heads in agreement.
“Okay, I was born into a family were I only had a step dad. My mom died when I was born and my dad had died a year earlier. My step dad took custody of me and he was one of those ‘drink any liquor I get my hands on’ kind of step dad. He would beat me so hard I was cut by his rings and crap like that. I had black eyes all the time and I told everyone who asked that I had been in a fight. Every time one healed completely, my step dad would give me a new one. Then one day, I made a run for it and that is the first time I saw Mike and Billie Joe. I yelled at them because my step dad, Mark, had caught up to me and pulled me back in. The last thing I remember is that he hit me and I hit my head and I blacked out.” I explained.
“So, you were beat?” Patrick asked fearfully.
“Yeah.” I replied sadly, looking to the floor.
A finger was placed under my chin and it pulled my head to look him in the eye. His green eyes were so soft. They looked right through me.
“Jamie, you couldn’t control it. That is why Mike and Billie Joe helped you out.” Patrick comforted.
I just smiled at him weakly. He took his arms and wrapped them in a hug around me. I hugged back. I felt extra safe.

“Bye guys. I’ll see you in the morning.” I said.
“How about we pick you up tomorrow? We can all walk to school.” Patrick suggested.
“Okay with me.” I said.
“Okay, bye Jamie.” Pete and Patrick said.
Joe and Andy just waved.
I shut the door and went to the family where Billie Joe, Tre, and Mike were still talking.

“Hey guys.” I said upon entering the room.
“Hey Jamie. So, were those guys your friends?” Billie asked.
“I guess. Pete introduced me to the guys and we ate lunch and had classes together. We all have the same classes this semester.
“Did anyone piss you off today?” Tre asked.
I sat down before I answered.
“Yeah, there were two people. A guy and a girl.” I said.
“What did the guy do?” Mike asked, sitting up straighter.
“He told me I was blocking his locker very meanly so I just ignored him. Then he called me a goth and told me to move. I didn’t even turn around. He then pushed me down so he could get to his locker.” I explained.
“What did you do?” Mike asked.
“I got on my hands and knees, rammed into the sides of his knees and he rolled over me and fell to the ground. I got up and told him that if he ever did it again, he would answer to me. I told him he would beg for mercy by the time I was done.” I continued.
“That’s my friend’s girl!” Tre said loudly.
That made me smile.
“Hey, at least you got her to smile. That is one gained from the one that was lost over the ten years she has been alive.” Mike said.
“Then, what did the girl do?” Billie asked.
“She said I fucked Pete and he was my man whore boyfriend. I told her they were all just my friends and I planned to keep it that way.” I answered.
“Her boyfriend just happened to be the guy I had tackled early this morning.” I continued.
“Who lost it first?” Tre asked.
“I have been in those situations before.” he continued.
“I did and I threw the punch because she had called Pete a man whore. Pete is my friend and I hate it when people think they can talk about you anyway they want.” I responded.
“What happens next?” Billie asked.
“I punched her and before I knew it, she had a bloody nose and was unconscious, on the ground. Then Pete and Patrick came and restrained me. The preppy guys restrained the other girls. Pete and Patrick took me to the lunch room and I sat down with Andy and Joe. Patrick and Pete went and bought lunch.” I explained to the guys.
“Jamie, did you eat?” Mike asked, concerned with my weight.
“Yeah, Andy asked me if I was going to eat and that reminded I had promised Mike that I would eat some chips.” I said.
“Good.” Mike said, letting out a breath.
“Then the day went by pretty normally.” I finished up.
“Well, your first day was great.” Tre said.
“Jamie, your first day, I can’t complain because you made friends but don’t be fighting every day.” Mike warned.
“I promise I won’t pick a fight but if they get it started, I will finish it if I’m included in it, okay.” I replied.
Mike just shot me a look.
“Wow Jamie, you sound like Billie Joe. Are you sure you aren’t some long lost child of his?” Tre joked.
“Well, now that I look at it, she does kind of look like me. The green eyes, the heart shaped face, the shape of the eyes. Black hair.” Billie said.
“Is your hair natural or died?” Billie asked.
“It is died black.” I answered.
“What is the natural color?” he asked.
“Red. Billie, I’m sure I’m not your kid. I’m Mike’s kid.” I defended.
I left the room and went to my room.

Billie’s POV

“Tre, do you think she looks like me?” I asked.
“I do but I don’t know about Mike.” he answered.
“Mike?” I asked.
“I don’t know. I love Jamie, so please don’t take any tests.” he replied.
“I won’t. I know you love her and so do I. She is like a daughter to all of us. I feel she is my responsibility, as well as yours.” I said.
“I don’t know her that well but she is a ten year old who has a rough start. She has some good role models if you ask me. Mike is a great guy. So are you BJ.” Tre said.
“Thanks Tre. You are a cool guy. If I’m down, I go to you to get a laugh or two. You help out a lot.” I thanked. Tre was a cool guy. No wonder they called him Tre Cool, which meant ‘very cool’.
“Billie, do you think she likes those guys?” Mike asked out of the blue.
“She said they were her friends.” I answered.
“Remember, she is only ten.” I defended.
“Yeah.” Mike answered.
“That Patrick dude seemed to really have a liking to her. Maybe he knows what she is going through.” I said.
“How would he know what she went through, unless she told them.” Mike wondered.
“Maybe he was adopted.” I replied.
“Maybe, I’m going to go find out.” he said, starting to get up.
“Mike, let it go.” I said, pulling him back down.
“Billie, I told her not to tell anyone about it.” he said, trying to get up.
“Mike! Mike, it was her decision to tell them, you couldn’t do anything about it.” I defended.
“But Billie.....” he started.
“Mike, let it go.” I said, cutting him off.
He sighed and relaxed.