Status: very slow

Just a Story of One Little Girl

Chapter 19

They stopped hugging me and pulled their phones out. Matt called Bryan and Austin called Aiden. They assured the other boys that they had found me and decided to bring me back to the diner. Matt picked me up bridal style and carried me back to the diner. By the time we got there, I had almost fallen asleep.

We sat at the same table where Joey was waiting for us and Matt called over a waitress. She eyed Austin and me suspiciously. “What can I get for you, Matt. Are they gonna cause trouble?”

Matt laughed. “They shouldn’t cause too much trouble. It seems like my stuff is still here. What do you guys want?”

“Dr. Pepper, no ice,” Austin ordered quickly. “And what’s the sweetest thing on your menu?”

The waitress thought for a moment. “We have our famous Triple Chocolate Cake. It’s a chocolate cake covered in chocolate icing, topped with chocolate shavings and filled with a chocolate gnash.”

My eyes widened and I turned to Austin. “Can I get it? Please!” I begged. He nodded looking amused. “I’ll have a slice of that please!” She wrote down my order and walked away.

Aiden walked in a few minutes later with Bryan by his side. He rushed over to me. “There you are! Don’t do that! Do you know how worried I was? You don’t know this place. You could've been raped! Or killed! Where did you even go? Why did you run away? What—“

“Shut up, Aiden!” I yelled at my brother, cutting off his rambling questions. I continued calmly. “If you thought about it, you’d know why I ran. I went to the park; it was safe there. And I’m trying to stay alive, like I have for the past nine and a half years, so if you’d kindly refrain from punching strangers and opening yourself up to arrest, that would make my life just that little bit easier.

“Unfortunately, we all know that you’re run by your emotions. You get mad, you fight, yada yada yada. So what do you think I’m going to try to do in order to stay as healthy and unhurt as possible? I’ll do something to terrify you. If that means I gotta run away in unknown territory, then so be it. Just stop trying to get me killed, would ya?” I glared at my brother.

Aiden stared at me before sinking into a chair at another table. I frowned. “Listen, Aiden—“

“No, no don’t apologize. You’re right. I was being stupid. I shouldn’t have picked a fight. I’m sorry kiddo, I just…no one gets to touch my baby sister like that, ok?” I nodded. I was a little surprised that he cut me off so nicely. I had expected him to yell at me for that.

“Ok, well then. Now that this adorable reunion is over, can we eat in peace? I mean, you did interrupt us before.” Aiden just nodded at Bryan, staying two tables behind us. The other guys had come in without us knowing and sat at the tables respectively.

“So where did we leave off, Ellery?” I shrugged going back to my cake. I was still sitting next to Bryan, but he didn’t scare me as much with a black eye.

“Tell them what you told us!” Matt exclaimed.
I shook my head violently. “No. They don’t need to know that. I only told you guys because I was really mad at Aiden and I felt like Austin deserves to know.”

Bryan put his hand on my knee again. “Come on, tell us.”

“Like hell I will!” I exploded, but then I lowered my voice. “You don’t scare me Bryan. You wouldn’t dare hurt me with my brother and friends sitting two tables away. Now get off me.”

He gazed at me with a soft expression, but left his hand where it was. “Are you abused, Ellery?”

I choked. “What? No! Where do you get off suggesting something like that?

“Your reactions to, well, everything.” He shrugged. “Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve been watching you since we found you at the park.” I narrowed my eyes in confusion and he continued. “You didn’t just walk with us to the diner, you clung to Joey for dear life.”

“I was lost and scared. He was nice.”

“You looked guilty when we ordered you hot chocolate.”

“I felt bad using your money.”

“You jumped like 12 feet when you saw I heard you on the pone.”

“I didn’t expect you there. You startled me.”

“You curled up in a ball and begged me not to hurt you.”

I squirmed, trying to think of an excuse. “Well, you look like you wrestle or play football and so do your friends. Except Joey. He looks like a band kid.”

The boys all shared a look. “Even if that were true, which I’m neither admitting nor denying right now, what would it matter?”

“Well, jocks are violent. Band kids are much tamer. And I’m right, don’t even kid yourself.”

“I never admitted it. Are you saying band kids are wimps?”

“Ha! Good try. No, band kids are pretty strong, they hafta be to do the half-time show at football games and whatnot, but they’re not idiotic meat-heads that need to pound each other to move up in the high school food chain. They’re civilized people. And I’m still right. About all of you.” I stuck out my tongue.

“Well, I was right about the abuse.” He sat up straighter and smirked at me.

“Where the hell do you get off!?”

He turned quickly, raising his arm. I flew backwards into Matt as Bryan scratched his head. He smirked again as I scooted back closer to him. “Exactly. You flinch at every sudden movement. Your eyes either look completely dead or terrified. Your smile is an amazing fake, but you’re obviously not happy. You’re an awesome liar, you don’t give anything away and you can laugh it off as much as you want, but that broken arm didn’t happen at school. You stare out the window like a trapped animal, and correct me if I’m wrong, but your thinking about the day you turn 18 and can leave the hell-hole fate cast you into. The way you talked about your brothers before? Sounded like you could kill them in cold blood. And your dad? You were on edge, you had poison in your voice, you want him gone. But you know it’s not gonna happen and you’re terrified of him. You ran away from Aiden tonight? Why? So you wouldn’t cry in front of him. You know you shouldn’t: shouldn’t be heard, shouldn’t be crying. You’re not worth it. You are totally worthless and—“

“Stop! Stop it!” I shrieked. “Shut up! Just stop talking!” I was practically in Matt’s lap by now. “Why are you doing this to me?” I whispered.

Aiden was at our table almost immediately. “What’s going on here?” he demanded.

Bryan ignored him and sat back looking smug. “I knew it. I was totally right, wasn’t I? Come on, admit it. We both know the truth.” I didn’t answer, just gaped at him.

Finally, I looked up at Aiden. “You know what? My brother’s right. It’s been a long day. I’m stressed and tired. I should go.” I tried to get out of the booth, but was stopped by Bryan.

“Come on, kid. Yes or no. Was I right?” I nodded and he gave me a sad smile. He slid out of the booth, and I slowly made my way to Aiden.

“I thought I hid it.” I muttered. “How could I have been so obvious.”

I didn’t think he heard me, but Bryan spoke up. “You weren’t obvious. It just takes one to know one I guess.”

I whipped around, but Aiden was already dragging me out as if I was a stubborn toddler. My friends followed us outside.

“Wait! I have to –“ I didn’t finish my sentence, but escaped Aiden’s grip and hurried back to the table. Bryan smiled at me.

“I was hoping you’d get away for a few seconds. Here’s my cell number. Call me if you ever need anything.” He kissed me lightly on the forehead before Aiden could snatch me up.

“We’re leaving now,” he snarled at me. Then he turned to Bryan. “Thanks, but she’s already got me.”

He began to carry me outside, ignoring Bryan who muttered sarcastically, “You seem to be doing a great job protecting her.”