You're Cute When You Scream

Guitar Hero

I cringed as Renee’s cries filled my ears. This time it wasn’t her fault, or mine for that matter. There was a shit ton of commotion outside – lots of shouting and footsteps.

Oddly enough, Synyster wasn’t in bed with me anymore. The clock read 7:35 AM. He shouldn’t be up for at least another four hours. I forced myself up out of bed and made my way to the nursery.

The walls were obscenely thin, so I could hear Zacky and Katie talking in the other room. I sighed, secretly wishing that Synyster could’ve regained his human side. Or even better yet – that Ronnie wouldn’t have died. I blinked away a couple of stray tears as I twisted the doorknob.

My eyes instantly widened upon landing on the sight within the room. A shrill scream passed my lips as I ran into the room and shoved him out of the way. He was trying to smother my baby! He wasn’t expecting my sudden arrival, so it was surprisingly easy to knock him off balance.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” I demanded, glaring harshly at him.

He returned the expression, which was to be expected. “She shut up, didn’t she?” he smirked.

I quickly, desperately leaned down into the crib and listened for a heartbeat. It was small, and faint. But present.

“That’s it, you’ve crossed the line,” I growled, taking an angered, confident step toward him. “I don’t give a fuck what’s happened to me – there’s no point in dwelling. But you will not harm my baby.”

He shook his head with mock disappointment and chuckled lowly. “If you plan on trying to fight me, you might want to pick a different location. I couldn’t bear making a bad example for our children,” he taunted.

Unfortunately for me, he did have a slightly important point there. I narrowed my eyes at him before turning around and making my way for the door, assuming that he’d follow.

My eyes suddenly watered as an unanticipated pain prickled my scalp. His fingers were tangled tightly in my hair, which made it more than easy for him to tug me back into the room and up against his chest.

“Like I give a fuck about setting any example,” he sneered, his hot breath running along my skin as he wrapped an arm tightly around my throat. “Maybe I should make sure that you won’t ever give birth to any other monstrosities.”

I heard the flicking of a switchblade opening behind me. My eyes caught the flash of light as the metallic object soared through the air before the sharpened tip embedded itself in my stomach, more specifically where the womb would be. Blood splashed out onto the wall above Renee's crib and began slowly dripping into her crib. It was a horrible sight.

I couldn’t hold anything back; I had absolutely no restraint over my reaction. Tears leaked from my eyes as my trembling body fell to the floor. The sickening sound of dripping blood bounced off the silent walls just before I released a tremendous scream of maximized agony and frustration.

The discussion and laughter that had been taking place in the other room ceased almost instantaneously. Cradling my stomach and keeping my sight locked on the ground, I left the room. This needed to end. Things were different now. And I need to make him change.

Somehow…

*Nikki’s POV*

Unintentionally, I found myself retreating to the corners of the cave, continuously moving until I felt my back make contact with the rocky, rough wall. I drew in deep breaths to steady my nerves. I know for a fact it isn’t Shadows or Rev, so what the hell did I have to be afraid of? I just escaped from a house of crazed lunatics; I think I should be strong enough to handle this.

“W-who’s there?” I asked, mentally whacking myself for verbally displaying my nervousness.

Finally, a boy, probably a year or two younger than me, stepped forward. “Que pasa to you?” he asked, eyeing me with a mixed look of horror and sympathy.

Wait, did he just mix Spanish and English? Please tell me I’m not stuck with someone who hardly speaks English! I looked at him warily, pausing for effect before answering.

“This may sound crazy,” I began, “but I just escaped from a group of horrible men who kidnapped me.”

Surprise, I would’ve expected. Hugging, not so much.

A broad smile lit up his face as he lunged forward and wrapped his arms around me in an oddly friendly embrace. Yeah, I’m assuming he didn’t understand a word I said.

“What are you…doing?” I asked awkwardly.

“Lo siento, that may have been a little weird. You just can’t imagine how happy I am right now! My friends – Myra, Katie, and Randi – were kidnapped and we’ve discovered their kidnappers live somewhere around here. Do you know them?”

I nodded at first, but then stopped myself. “They were…um…with me, too. All of them, except for Randi.”

His smile drooped dramatically. “What do you mean?”

“From what I heard, the one named Shadows killed her. Her body’s still in his room and it’s been fucking months since she died.”

He backed away from me slowly with a blank expression on his face. It felt like hours until he finally spoke again. “M-my friend Chris and the others should be closing in on the house. I fell in this cave, and couldn’t get out without someone else’s help. Now that you’re here, well, I guess we should get outta here and then find the nearest hospital.”

“I’m sorry about your friend,” I whispered.

His downcast eyes returned to mine with a hint of surprise. “Thank you, really. Now let’s get out of here. You look terrible.”

I rolled my eyes and laughed briefly. “You’re so kind.”

After a bit more random small talk, I eventually found out that his name was Pablo. Apparently, he hadn’t explored my end of the cave, which meant he didn’t see the vines and roots that were dangling from the surface. “Looks like I rescued you,” I teased.

“Yeah,” he grunted, struggling to crawl up the wall, “but who’s the one who has access to a cop car to get you to the hospital?”

“Touché,” I nodded, extending my arm to give him an extra pull.

The rain was beating heavily against my back, but it didn’t bother me a single bit. The cool, though fierce drops felt like they were washing away all the pain and suffering those men induced. It was a wonderful, refreshing feeling.

But one single voice was enough to eradicate it all.

“Wow, Nikki, I thought that you would’ve made it much further by now,” the Rev sneered as he and Shadows glared at me from across the hole.

“And look at this, the Mexican friend is here…which must mean the police that Syn mentioned are here as well,” Shadows noted.

After a few defiant glares and deep breaths, I finally figured out my plan of action. Gripping Pablo’s hand, I shouted, “RUN!”

Together we took off sprinting through the uneven terrain, blinded by a gray shield of rain.

Shadows shouted something that I couldn’t quite make out, but it didn’t matter. We already had the advantage, given that they had to find away around that massive ass hole before they can pursue us.

However, it would seem that they knew these woods far better than we did. Rev lunged out, catching attention in my peripheral vision. I cried out, side-stepping him just in time before following Pablo’s lead and picking up the pace.

Everything felt so heavy due to my soaked clothes and clinging hair. Not to mention both of my legs only recently healed, and I’m sure that running from some crazy people through the rain in a forest wasn’t part of the doctor’s orders. We continued onward nevertheless, with them right on our heels.

Now, with the precipitation around us, it was very hard to decipher the sound of running water. We came to a sudden halt once we found ourselves on a cliff adjacent to a waterfall.

Where the hell did that come from?

Pablo and exchanged concerned glances, unsure of what to do, yet knowing we only have one choice. With a mutual nod, hands still entwined, we took a leap, screaming as we flew through the air. My stomach felt as if it were prying its way through the ever-narrow esophagus to try and jump back to the cliff. Unfortunately, that was out of its control.

The raging waters came into view quickly just before I was submerged into the rapid, freezing body of water.

*Normal POV*

I hadn’t seen Syn since that incident earlier. No, he wasn’t off regretting his decision. He probably just wanted to be alone, for God knows why. Point being, this gave me time to talk to Katie.

I entered Zacky’s room without knocking, only to find both of them naked under the covers. Okay, I could do without that, but this situation took far greater precedence. I directed my stare to Katie, still not feeling comfortable enough just yet with Zacky.

“W-what’s been going on all morning?” I asked, knowing full well based on the concerned expression she was wearing that she’d rather ask what happened between Syn and I in the other room.

“Nikki escaped,” she smiled weakly. “Of course Shadows and Rev went after her, but by the time they left, there was already too much distance between them.”

“That’s great!” I grinned, hesitantly stepping closer to the bed before deciding to sit down on the edge. “So,” I added timidly, “I need your help with something.”

Katie self consciously pulled the white sheets up further to make sure she was covered. “Of course, Myra, what is it?”

“Syn claims that a whole bunch of cops were working with Dr. Manor at our old apartment when he and…and Ronnie went there a couple nights ago. What if Nikki left because she saw or heard any signs of cops in the area?”

“Well,” Katie said thoughtfully, “that would be a good thing…but I don’t follow where you’re taking this exactly.”

“We need some way to get the guys to make a lot of noise to alert the cops to the area.”

“The guitars,” Zacky said, seemingly randomly.

“What?” Katie and I simultaneously asked.

“The guitars,” he repeated, “Syn and I could hook up the guitars and jam for a bit. We have some huge amps, so I’m sure it’d create some sort of noise.”

I eyed him suspiciously, unsure whether or not he could be trusted. Katie, on the other hand, was all for the idea. “Alright, I’ll go talk to him.”

“Why don’t you let me?” I blurted.

“Are you sure that’s such a good idea? He’ll probably just think you’re up to something,” he said.

“I could say the same for you,” I smirked, knowing that Syn didn’t think nearly as high of Zacky as he used to.

Defeated, Zacky returned to his more comfortable position, laying down.

“I’ll let you know when he’s ready,” I smirked.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he mumbled.

Obviously, the last thing I wanted to do right now was talk to him. But this was my vendetta,
which meant I needed to be the one. There was no arguing that much.

*Shadows’ POV*

Drenched and defeated for the time being, I took one last hateful stare into the falls and saw no bodies resurface. “Dude, we should just head back. Between that fall and this damn storm, there’s a very small chance they’ll survive and make it to town,” Rev observed.

I nodded, “You’re right. Let’s go before we get sick or some shit.”

Anxious to get out of the rain, we sprinted through the woods. As we passed a small cabin-like house, I couldn’t help but pause when I saw who came out of the house. It was a mother-fucking cop. And not just any cop…it was one from the NYPD.

I nudged Rev and pointed the man out. A twisted smile formed on his face as he nodded toward some bushes below the front porch.

“Thank you for your time, Ms. Radke. I promise you that the moment we find your daughter and son we’ll bring them right back home to you,” the officer said with sincerity.

Oh, I do believe this just got much better. What a small world this was – Ronnie and Aliza’s mother lived near us this entire time? Oh, the irony.

The officer and woman exchanged a few more words before his heavy steps bounced off the wooden staircase and the door shut behind him. The Rev made the first move, casually walking up to him and pretending to be lost.

“Can you point me in the direction of town?” he asked in such an uncharacteristically pathetic voice.

“Sure thing, son. You just want to follow this main road here,” he paused to point to the road at the end of Ms. Radke’s driveway, “for about another two miles.”

“I find it strange that a cop from New York City would know his way around these parts so well,” I noted, stepping out of the bushes wearing an evil smile.

The cop didn’t really know what to make of the comment. “I’m here on a case. Maps can do wonders, you know,” he replied.

“Let me guess, you’re here looking for those horrible men who kidnapped Myra Thompson and company?”

His eyes narrowed suspiciously. “That’s correct. Do you have any information?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Rev cackled, pulling a knife out of his back pocket.

The officer noticed immediately and drew his weapon, locked and loaded. Realization dawned upon him faster than I would’ve expected. “You’re some of the men, aren’t you?” he asked.

I nodded. “And for your accuracy, won’t you allow us to reward you with a painless death?”

His eyes widened as his grip on the gun tightened. “What are you –?”

His focus had been on me, which allowed the Rev a free shot. He stabbed him roughly, right in the side, probably cutting into an organ or two. “Ooh, sorry too late,” Rev laughed, twisting the knife in deeper.

The officer groaned in pain, a shocked expression still worn on his face. “Now, to finish the job,” I added, pulling out a rather large and rather sharp hunting knife.

I circled him before planting my feet behind him, knocking his hat off and gripping his skull, pulling backward.

“I must applaud you on your work. You came so close to being the hero. Oh well,” I shrugged, before slamming the length of the blade into his throat, cutting through the cartilage and tissue, covering the Rev in a splash of blood.

The officer choked on his own blood, falling to the ground and twitching. He stayed like that for at least another fifteen minutes before he finally gave in. The Rev kicked the lifeless body a couple of times for reconfirmation before we finished the trek back home.

*Normal POV*

I roamed the limited halls of the house for what felt like an eternity before I found him lounging on the deck in the backyard, a cigarette hanging limply against his lips.

During the time I spent searching, I had developed what I considered to be a decent back-story. I was going play the long-lost-love card that he thought was so much fun to play back in December.

This will be a challenge to pull off if he doesn’t bite the bait, but let’s hope it doesn’t get difficult. Violence isn’t my specialty, and I need to keep that in mind.

“Hey, Brian,” I said quietly as I sat down next to him, watching the sheets of rain. “I was looking for you…”

“What do you want?” he asked in annoyance as he briefly glanced at me.

I faked a stern expression. “Look, I’m sure somewhere deep down inside your black heart you realize that things are different now. We have a family; we have kids to look out for. You can’t treat me like some hostage bitch anymore.”

He shifted his body so that he could stare at me; analyze me. I temporarily suspended thoughts from my mind so that I could keep my face locked in place.

After a moment of silence, he said, “So, you’re serious about this?”

“About us, yes,” I corrected.

He laughed humorlessly. “You believe that we can have anything remotely close to a relationship after all this shit?”

“What choice do we have?” I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

Zacky stepped out onto the deck, catching me off guard. “You two seem…civil,” he noted.

Neither one of us replied.

“Uh, anyway, guess what dude? I found our guitars downstairs. My fingers have been aching to shred. What do you say, for old time sake?”

I subtly glared at Zacky, angry at him for stealing my thunder. Regardless, Brian seemed okay with the idea. “You know, that might be a good idea. I could use a way to vent some emotions,” he replied, though staring pointedly at me.

He followed Zacky back inside and found the amps already stacked and plugged in along the walls in the living room.

“What song should we play?” Zacky asked as he slid under his guitar strap.

Brian paused to think for a minute. “Does it even matter?” he laughed lightly, “I mean it’s not like there’s anyone to sing the lyrics.”

I remembered back in high school when the guys were all talking about forming a band, making it big. Before I could stop the words from retreating, I said, “If you guys played one of the originals, I could substitute in for the vocals. I can’t believe it, but I’m almost positive I know some of the lyrics still.”

They exchanged contemplative glances before Brian sighed, “Name one, then.”

“How about, ‘We Come Out At Night?’ I can’t do the screaming, so I’ll just sing it all instead.”

“And I can pretend to know what I’m doing with this toy drum set,” Katie supplemented, digging through a mountain of toys for the set.

We needed to get this show on the road, and fast, before the cops give up their search. I counted off and allowed the boys to begin playing. The microphone was also plugged into the amplifiers; however, poor Katie’s drumming faded into the distance, overpowered by the incredibly loud speakers. This was perfect!

After the first song, it was as if some sort of alternate force totally took over, possessing Brian to really get into this. They played a few more songs, some of their own design and others as covers.

Brian was lounging across the couch while Zacky was sitting on the recliner next to him. Katie had given up long ago on the drums and instead sat on Zacky while he instructed her how to play a couple of chords. Brian’s fingers were rapidly moving across the fret board in an absent-minded fashion.

I watched him, wondering if I should push the limits. Well, if the cops did show up here, they’d take him away and then whatever was to happen right now wouldn’t matter. Right? Sounds good enough to me.

Carefully, I crawled over him, noticing his finger slip onto the wrong string. Yet, he kept playing. Making sure I didn’t interrupt him, I made precise movements until my torso was just above his guitar. I propped myself up using the palms of my hands. I leaned in awkwardly, locking eyes with him. Fuck, if I wait any longer I’ll probably chicken out.

Closing my eyes, I finished my descent, accidentally landing on top of the guitar as our lips met, willingly – for the first time in years. He adjusted one of his arms out from under the instrument so that he could hold my face in his hands, gently running his fingertip across my scarred flesh.

It was such a strangely beautiful moment that I was almost sure that everything that had happened up until now was a horrible dream, and now I was finally waking up. Hesitantly, I stuck my tongue into his mouth, grazing across his and initiating our pent up passion.

We moved together with the rhythm Zacky and Katie had been working on, blasting out of the speakers. I grinned, breaking the kiss just for a moment to look at his face. His eyes, previously seeming to be glazed over with a darkened lust and hatred, were now the deepest and clearest brown.

My smile dropped immediately once I caught sight of the foyer door flying open, indenting the drywall.

“ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?” Rev shouted over the speaker, until Zacky jumped and abruptly stopped playing.

“Dude, chill we were just trying to pass some time. It’s been months since we touched these,” Zacky said.

“Yeah, well, with massive amplification like that, it’s practically begging those fucking cops to pick out our house,” Shadows muttered.

“Wait, what? What cops?”

“Cops are going door-to-door searching for us. We managed to kill who appeared to be the leader about a mile into the woods. They’re close…which is why all that noise isn’t good.”

Brian looked dumbstruck at first, before his eyes darted up toward me. “You knew all along,” he whispered. I expected to see the anger, betrayal. But what killed me the most was the hurt his eyes held.
♠ ♠ ♠
wow, that felt like a really long chapter!

in the next chapter: zacky is seen as a traitor, syn gets pissed at myra for playing with his feelings, chris believes he's discovered the right house and considers a one-man ambush

there are only four chapters left, and i assure you they will be the sexiest, bloodiest, angstiest, saddest chapters of the entire story. Brace yourselves! ;)

5+ comments please. I plan on getting this story finished by November, but if i get enough support i'd be all for finishing early lol

also whenever i find an abundance of free time I'm going to start editing the original scream story. ive already worked on ch. 1-18 and plan on including some new chapters, so if you're interested ill have that changed soon