‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 2

"Do you really want to go to the show?" Jimmie asked me.

"Yes I do. I haven't been to a show in forever."

The truth was the last show I had been to was with Ronnie. He had taken me to see The Used. I hated looking back on those memories. They only brought back the last thing I remember of Ronnie. The way his face looked as he stood broken on the side walk. I shook the thought from my head.

"Well I'm sure you can take off, and I'll get you some tickets. Is general admission fine?" He asked grabbing his phone.

"Yeah that's fine." Oh Steve was going to be happy about this. He flipped his phone open and called someone. I left the room and crashed on my bed. I grabbed my own phone and searched through the contacts to find Steve's number. I pressed the green phone and called him.

"Hello?" He asked. I could hear music in the background and many voices.

"Hey Steve it's Maddie."

"Hey Maddie, what's up?"

"I'm calling to let you know I'm coming to the show tomorrow."

"That's great!" I heard the background noise die down.
"You should come really early though because Buzznet is coming and filming."

"What time do you want me there?"

"Around 11 maybe?"

"Oh yay, I get to sleep in."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Bye Steve," I went to hang up, but could have sworn I heard a familiar voice. I hung up the phone and tried not to think twice and get my hopes up.

I changed into my pajamas. I wanted to be fully rested for the day ahead of me. I walked back out into my kitchen. Jimmie was standing there looking as cute as ever.

"Hey there cutie," He said wrapping his arms around me.
"Are you tired?"

"Kind of, I want to watch a movie though, if you're willing to stick around."

"How could I refuse?" He smiled and kissed me passionately before we retired to my bedroom to watch Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I woke up in the morning in an empty bed. I rolled over into Jimmie's spot and exhaled deeply. I smiled thinking of the day ahead of me. I got up with extra bounce today and skipped to the bathroom. I took a shower, got out, and blew dried my hair. I left the bathroom with a towel around me, and went to get dressed.

I got in black tights, with a long Ratt t-shirt. I wore black boots also. I did my makeup, and styled my hair. I sprayed some perfume on, and was about to leave. I walked into the kitchen and decided then I would pick up coffee. My phone started going off and I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Maddie, we're meeting at Starbucks." He told me the address, and we hung up. I got into my car and drove to the venue because it wasn't far from the Starbucks. I got out, locked the car, and headed to the coffee place. When I got there I could see Steve outside.

"Steve!" He turned, looked at me, and smiled.

"Yay you're here!" He ran and hugged me.

"Yeah I am, but can you let me go? I can’t breathe." He let go.

"Ha, sorry." He grabbed my wrist and dragged me into the building. As I stepped in the site in front of me stopped my heart.

"I get in trouble everywhere I go," Ronnie said to a guy standing next to him.
"Like last night, last night was bad."

I wanted to pull away from Steve. I didn't think I could face the boy in front of me. Ronnie continued telling the story not noticing me. Maybe that was a good thing. If he didn't recognize me I would be fine. When Ronnie finished I saw Max look up from the table with a grin on his face.

He was here too!

Of course he was. Ronnie and Max are best friends. Max's eyes met mine and his grin faded into shock.

"Maddie?" He said quietly. Ronnie's head shot in my direction.

"Hey guys," I said softly and nervously. Ronnie got up, and I would be lying if I was afraid of what he was going to do. He looked at me, turned, and left the place. Guilt washed over me. Max came up and gave me a huge hug.

"I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too Max." He looked at me, his smile returned.
"He's still not over it?"

Max looked sympathetic and shook his head.

"No."