What The Devil Doesn't Know

2

"I'm gonna miss you like hookers miss sex."said Haley, wrapping her arms around me. She had been my best friend since kindergarten, and this would be the first time we wouldn't spend the summer together.
"You had better call and text me nonstop bitch." I said, meaning bitch in the most affectionate way possible.

"And you had better tell every hot guy you meet that you have a friend back at home that looks just like you. Only hotter." we both laughed, but all I could think about was how much I'd miss her.

"Fuck. I have to go. I LOVE YOU!" I yelled at her, rushing towards the metal detector. After that I wouldn't be able to see her anymore.
I took off my shoes and jacket and put my bag in one of those plastic bins. In front of me was an old couple. Most likely going on some trip now that all their kids were gone. I wished that that's what my new grandparents might be like. But I knew better than to wish that. Sex Pistols don't go on quiet vacations with their wives. Or do they?

"NEXT!" I hadn't noticed how badly I was holding up the line.

"Sorry." I mumbled, and hurried through my screening to the terminal. I boarded my plane, and after it took off, I spent a couple hours reading and thinking, before finally going to sleep.
A few hours later, I switched planes. Somewhere in Florida? No. Did I go to Florida and then New York? I couldn't remember a thing. Sneaking too many of those tiny liquor bottles gets to you after a while.
By the time I reached London I had sobered up quite a bit. A car was supposed to pick me up, but the flight was early. To avoid any hangovers I could require, I stumbled into a coffee shop across the street from the airport. As soon as I opened the door, my eyes locked on the guy working the register. I walked over, ordered something, and asked him what day it was. "Thursday I believe," he smiled "Aye, you look trashed. Some party?"

"Some plane ride."

"I thought I heard an accent. Where you from? Texas?"

"Obviously." I laughed. He was cute. Curly brown hair, a big nose, big lips, and a slightly crooked smile. My type.

"What's your name?" he asked

"Kendall. Yours is...?"

"Mickey." he smiled. "Nice to meet you Kendall." He handed me whatever it was I had ordered. "Maybe I'll see you around...."
I turned around. Fuck. I saw my ride. And he was still talking.

"I-I have to go. Hopefully I'll see you again!" I shouted on my way out the door. He waved.
It was not the last time I'd see him.