Your Not Alone; I'm Here With You

Chapter 2

I woke lying in the grassy clearing. I must have had fallen asleep at some point during my crying. Crying over all the recent hardships, but I shouldn’t think about that now.
I stood and stretched, walking to the nearest pile of food. Grabbing the first meal I could I ended up with cheese tortellini. My favorite. After finishing that off I decided I should think of a way out of here.
Pacing along the edge of the lights, the forest was so dense it was always dark; I scoped the area for any monsters close by. I didn’t see anything, but I still wasn’t about to venture into the trees. I know they won’t give up. They want me specifically me for some reason. Some how I’m important and they won’t give up until they get me.
I walked back to the middle and sat down. I wonder what they are. Vampire popped into my mind. The creatures did look like people and they did have fangs, but they didn’t suck your blood, they ate your flesh. They don’t have many characteristics of your common myth creatures.
A rustling sound at the edge of the camp made me jump. My eyes darted from place to place looking for the source of noise. What could it be?
“Who’s there?” Asking, I realized how stupid the question was. No one’s out here accept those creatures. Right?
As if answering my mental question a person jumped through the edge of the forest, into the clearing. I shot up from my seat, almost causing me to fall backward. The boy who ran in happened to notice and snatched my arm before I fell.
“Who are you?” I shook his hand away. That was kind of rude, but hey he scared me. I looked at the guy. He was young probably around my age. I’m only seventeen. Its sad I’m so young and yet one of the only humans surviving.
I scanned the guy’s appearance. He had short black hair that was spiked in the front. He had the build of a football player and dreamy hazel eyes. He wore jeans, that were in okay condition except for some scrapes here and there, and a dark green tee. All in all he looked in too great of condition to be living in this beast-infested world.
“My names Brian, yours?” He was panting; must have just been chased.
“Jade.” I gave him a short answer, still trying to piece together his good condition.
“Nice to meet you.” He stuck out his hand in an attempt of politeness. I avoided it.
“Why do you look so good?”
“Huh?” He pulled his hand back and scratched his head awkwardly at my rejection.
“No, I mean, your clothes are in such good condition. How’d you manage that in this world?” My voice came out sharp and accusing.
“I’ve been in hiding with others. What are you doing out here?” He ignored my sharp tone.
“Wait, hiding? Others?” My face felt light as it filled with hope.
“Yes. Did you think you were the only one left?” I shrugged at this before answering.
“ Me and my friend Diana.” It hurt to speak her name.
“Oh, where’s she?” Thinking of her my hope fled and my jaw clenched.
“Gone.” My face was solemn.
“Gone where?” He just couldn’t take a hint, could he?
“Not here.”
“She left you?” He was right there, just not in the same sense. I couldn’t help it I broke down. I fell to the floor and began crying.
“Oh.” His voice was a whisper as he realized the fate of Diana. He sat down next to me and awkwardly patted my back.
“Come on don’t cry. I was never good at comforting people.” He tried to dry my tears, but they kept coming.
“She left me. She left me.” My sobbing made everything almost incoherent.
“Please don’t cry. She’s in a better place now. Shh she’s away from all these monsters.”
I looked up at Brian, my tears slowly loosing their flow.
“You really think so?”
“Yeah I do.”
“But now I’m alone.”
“No your not. I know you don’t really know me, but us humans have to stick together. In other words I’m not leaving you.”
“Thanks Brian.” My tears were all gone as I looked in his hazel eyes.
“No problem. Now why don’t you get some sleep we’ll go to the hideout in the morning.”
“Okay, but wait. Why are you here?”
“Oh, I was scavenging.” He stood up from next to me and lay down a few feet over. I lay back where I was and drifted asleep thinking about how I wasn’t alone.