The Crimson

chapter 9

The sidewalk along the school coiled and weaved out of trees of red and orange leaves.

The fallen leaves made crunching sounds under my feet as the path became narrower and the concrete, slowly vanished under the leaves and over grown grass. The trees started to take over all the empty space. And soon the only reminder of the school was a lonesome window between the trees branches.

I was about to ask exactly where he was leading me, but before I could talk he stopped dead in his tracks and turned to me. His eyes stared deep in to mine. They looked tired almost sad.

Then he turned his head to the left slightly. His eyes now fixated on a bench that I didn’t see before.

He moved steadily to it and sat down, then looked at me and then down at the seat next to him.

I slowly walked to it. The benches wood was rotting and had writing all over it. A vine twirled up the legs and back. I sat down next to him. Subconsciously making sure there as space between us.

The seat was damp as if it had rained.

I waited a second; listening to the silence, to see if he was going to say something.

He didn’t.

“What do you want Aidan.”

“I just want to talk.”

He sat there for a minute, not moving his eyes fixed on the ground.

I got up.

“No don’t go, let me explain.”

“Explain what…”

He didn’t say anything.

“Explain what happen yesterday!... I saw you with that man. I was there. You were…” frustrated I let out an angry sigh. I turned on my heel and started to walk away.

“Anna.” He said grabbing my shoulder.

I shoved his hand off. “No Aidan. I don’t know why I even followed you. I’m so stupid!… I saw you I don’t know ….eating him. You’re like a freakin cannibal. Not someone I want to be around.” My voice grew smaller every word.

“Cannibal.” He laughed. “Hardly, I didn’t eat him.” A smile remained on his face.

“Oh so you just drank from him them. You didn’t eat him; you sucked out his blood and killed him.” I said with a sarcastic tone.

His smile disappeared and he grew grave. “Anna, just let me explain.”

He grabbed my hand, but I slowly let go of his grasp. His face still serious, he looked at his hands. Then turned to me, his face still stone.

“I wouldn’t hurt you.”

He looked up at me

“I promise.”

I sat back down on the bench.

We sat there for a moment until he looked at me and gently said. “What would you do if you had to tell someone one of your biggest secrets, but telling them might change everything between them?”

“I think were kinda past that.” I said quietly looking at me feet.

“Yeah… but what if I telling you will make you hate me more.”

“I don’t hate you.” I whispered as my I swung my feet over the damp grass.

“But what if what I tell you will make you hate me and become utterly appalled by me.”

I looked at him. Finally looking in his eyes. They dark color was softer, pleading as he stared back at mine, holding a hint of worry.

“I’d try.” I said softly and slowly.

The smallest smile came on his face. And his pleading eyes turned hopeful.

But it only lasted a few seconds then his grave expression was plastered on his face again.
He took a deep breath, and then quietly he said. “I’m sorry you had to see that the other day. But I want you to know that you don’t need to be afraid, I’d never be like that around you…. I can never imagine even without a heart the thought of hurting you.” He paused; looking up making sure he had my full attention. “I realize you know I’m not like you, that I’m different. But your mistaking if you think what you saw could be you next. If you hear me out I can explain.”

“I wouldn’t still be here if I wasn’t giving you a chance to explain Aidan.”

“I’m different then you.”

“I know. You said that already.”

“No I’m different from you meaning I’m not human Anna.”

“Then what are you?” I asked, almost afraid of the answer.

He looked away and gulped, mustering up all his courage and strength until he finally said in almost a whisper.

“I’m a vampire.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:O

happy Friday the thirteenth :p