The Battle For The Sadow Grounds

Chapter 15

Haden's Point Of View

I spent most of the day fueled on magic. I hadn’t been able to get any rest. I found it pleasing that these elves now trust me so.
I felt an urge to return to the stronghold. To see if Amelia is okay. What I felt last night was not comforting. But out of respect. I must stay. For the funeral of Lypto at least.

The fire flickered gracefully and engulfed the body of the young boy. Everyone wore dark colored clothes, shielding their faces behind hoods. It appeared that I was the only one wearing white. Apoca was huddled in Arget’s arms, sobbing quietly. It had quickly turned from the joyous occasion of discovering out that she was pregnant, to the funeral of her first born.
The flames crackled and hissed as the king chanted a serene song that echoed throughout the small village. The fire flung itself into the air. And we all started to walk away. Allowing the cremation to finish. The sky had turned grey. A blanket of clouds stole the heat of the sun, throwing a chill into the forest.
I stood in solitude, staring at the sky. Turning my head to the left I watched the other elves pay their respects to Arget and Apoca. One by one they comforted her. Some embracing in a tear-filled hug. Others in a less enthusiastic gesture.
Once the majority of the village had paid their respects I walked over to them. Placing my hands on their shoulders. I channeled positive energy through my hands. They gave a brief smile and we kept eye contact.
“Will you stay? For a few more days?” Apoca said hopefully. I know I couldn’t, something compelled me to return to the Amaca. “Oh.” She uttered looking at the ground through a leather hood.
“Thank you. For everything,” Arget said meaningfully. I pondered this thought for a moment. I hadn’t done anything. If anything it’s my fault this boy is dead.
“I haven’t done anything,” I replied.
“You have done more than you realize. Thank you,” he said softly, fighting back the tears. He gave me a rough hug. I felt very claustrophobic crunched in the middle of his muscular arms. But none the less, I did my best to stretch my arms around his huge frame. He chuckled and my cheeks turned hot from embarrassment. We parted and I walked off to ready the Lionasus for flight.

“Amacan?” a raspy voice came through the doors of the stables. King Acklay walked in, his robes dragging along the floor. I smiled.
“Please your highness. Call me Haden.” I said “Your highness. Where is your crown?” I asked, staring at the bald patch on his head that was surrounded by his hair.
“I will call you what I wish Amacan.” I guess he still was arrogant. I frowned slightly, but wiped my face of all emotion. “Sorry. I am getting better,” he said reluctantly. As if apologizing was causing him pain. “H-Haden.” I guess that hurt too.
“Yes?” I replied.
“I want you to have this,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out the blue bubble. It pulsed as he gripped it in his hands. I my eyes opened wider in shock.
“My lord. I couldn’t possibly accept this. It’s the jewel of your crown!”
“I do not deserve to wear it. You opened my eyes to the monster I had become. And until I become a better King… There will be other crowns. I know it. Just take it.” He said extending his hand. I reluctantly reached out my hand towards it. It was light. And it vibrated energy through my hands. The tiny specks of light seemed at peace and drifted around in the orb. I placed it in my bag with the white stag horn. I looked up and parted my lips. I was about to say my thanks when he turned and left.
“Come on boy.” I said stroking the Lionasus’ fur. “Let’s go.” I seated myself on its muscular back once more it ran out of the stables. He flapped his wings and we lifted into the air. Arget and Apoca waved as we left.

We rose above the clouds. The sunlight shone on the giant mountains of fluff creating a heavenly scene of beauty. It made me smile. But my chest felt heavy. The memories of the funeral returned to my mind. All of a sudden I was shook out of my train of thought by a roar. I looked behind me, hearing the powerful beating of giant wings. A mound of clouds erupted as a scaly beast pushed through the blanket. Its eyes burned a fiery red and its black scales shimmered in the light. The spiked tail kept its balance. And surfing on the dragons back was the Umacan I encountered a day or two before. He cackled.
“Well hello Amacan.” he laughed. “We meet again” he said in the same arrogant voice as earlier.
“You don’t have to do this” I shouted back. Hoping he will see the lack of need for violence. “Turn back.”
“Unfortunately, I can’t do that. I told you, you will not survive when a paths meet again. And here we are. So take your punishment!” he shouted as his dragon belched fire towards me.
Dive! I messaged to the Lionasus. And I hugged its back as he folded his wings diving down. He reared up, continuing our flight pattern. The dragon’s mouth lit up as it prepared for more fire. I spun and sat backwards on my beast. Feeling the wind rush up my back. Absorbing the energy. It belched fire once more. I held out my arms as the cloud of flame rushed towards me. I spun my hands around. The flames mimicked my hand movements. And I pushed it back. The dragon dived, mimicking my move earlier dodging the fire.
The Umacan laughed.
“Good move.” he shouted. “My turn,” he reached out with his hands and curled his fingers. The Lionasus roared in agony as his left wing bent sharply in half. We spiraled out of control. I felt woozy. Sick. But I kept my focus. I reached out to the dragon with my mind and with a gesture of my hand ripped its leg off. It roared in pain. My hands pulsed with energy. The electricity jumping between my fingers. I directed it towards the Umacan and it struck him in chest. He fell off screaming. The dragon dived, hoping to catch its master.

We slammed into the Amacan transportation floor. And skidded along. My vision was blurry. I breathed heavily. My chest felt like it was on fire. My arm was in pain. The last thing I remember before blacking out was Amelia’s familiar voice.
“Haden!?” then everything turned dark.
♠ ♠ ♠
How'd i do?