Six Days, Sixteen Hours

revelations

He would keep on waiting.
He wanted to keep on waiting. To respect her decision. After all, it was her who decided.
Wasn't it?
A week had passed since she'd expressed her opinion over the phone..and he'd been thinking. Something was up,something was wrong..he had sincerely thought they had rebuilt the bond between them. And yet she had ditched him. It had to be a pretty fucking good excuse, he thought, to build up to finally seeing eachother again after these long 4 months,and then just..leave him there. he shook his head. He was sitting on the top bunkbed on the tour bus,leaning against it's wall,inhaling slowly from his cigarette,thinking the same thoughts he'd thought all week.
"Frank," groaned Gee, coming in and seeing him there. "Please stop smoking on the bus, soon we'll lose eachother in this fog." he gestured to the thin cloud hanging around the ceiling.
"It's cold out." grunted Frank.
"Not my problem. Come on, as head of the Anti-Unhappy-Frankies, I'll offer to keep you company outside."
Since the departure from Worthing, nobody who was forced to be in Frank's presence could bear him in his new mood. Gee had come up with the idea of the Anti-Unhappy-Frankies, more of a joke to try and get a rise out of him.
Frank huffed and slipped off the bed,following Gee out into the cold late February air. They both wrapped themselves in their hoodies and sat on the damp grass,leaning against the side of the cold bus, in the semi-darkness of the evening.
Frank lit himself another cigarette and leant his head back,closing his eyes.
"You were mister happy-go-lucky just last week." commented Gee, a hint of sorrow in his tone.
Frank snorted. "Was. Gee, I don't see the point in staying here anymore. The tour's finished,let's go home."
Gee bit is lip thoughtfully. "No,not yet."
"Why,what are we waiting for?"
Gee didn't answer, so Frank opened his eyes to watch his expression.
"You're going to talk to her."
"To who?"
Gee made an annoyed frown. "To Erin."
Frank rolled his eyes, "I've told you, she doesn't want to. And I don't want to make her."
"But she forgave you."
"Yes, she said she had. I.."
"Come on." said Gee abruptly, standing up. "We're going to talk to her."
Frank gaped at him. "Are you insane? now??"
"Why not?" He said, taking a few paces backwards towards the car.
"Because it's late..and..I told you, I don't want to force her into talking to me. If she doesn't want to, I accept that."
"But don't you want to know why she won't even just see you?"
Frank didn't know what to say. Of course he did,but..oh,fuck excuses. He'd been through all the possible mental tortures of gulit in these 4 months. Guilt for his laziness, guilt for being responsible (even though not consciously) for someones death, guilt for causing Erin pain, guilt for leaving..
And then..this. She had left him there, like an idiot.
Frank stood, his mind finally made up. He threw the cigarette into the dark earth and pressed it out with the heel of his converse.
"Fine." he said. And with a satisfied grin Gee turned and got into the black car, with Frank following suit.
***
It was about an two hours later that they finally arrived in front of the white bricked apartment which Frank had seen only once. It had taken them some time to get to Crawley, and Frank had had to remember the right way to get to the house.
Gee turned to look at him.
"Here, do you want me to come in too?"
Frank hesitated a moment. "No, it's cool. I can do this." With a deep breath he opened the car door with a clunk, and dragged his feet along the pavement to the door. It was dark, but golden light flowed out onto the ground from the windows.
Frank stroked his hands nervously, inspecting the names and buttons on the receiver next to the door. He read them out to himself, none of them meant anything to him. Maybe he had got the wrong apartment? No, he was sure it was this one..He decided to try the first one, labelled 'Ross' and pressed his finger to the buzzer. He felt extremely agitated, and turned back to see Gee smiling encouragingly at him throught the car window.
A tinny voice came from the receiver. Franks suddenly recognised it as not being Erin's, and felt a dull disappointment mixed with relief.
"who is it?" it demanded.
"Um..I,err..I'm looking for Erin." Frank stuttered.
There was a pause. "She doesn't live here anymore. Who is this?"
"My name's Frank."
There was a silence, which Frank didn't know what to think of. Surely it couldn't be a good sign..
"Come up." it suddenly said, and there was a click as the door opened.
Frank swallowed through his dry throat..he hesitated..the voice had not sounded that welcoming..
He glanced round at Gee in the car who was nodding vigorously, so he pushed the door open. He found himself in a whitewashed hall, a brown shiny door on either side of him, and a staircase in front,leading up. 'Now what?' he thought to himself. The voice hadn't said which door or floor it lived on..
There was a slam from the floor above, and someone cursing. Frank edged closer to the staircase, and looked up for a sign of anyone who could help him. He was about to call out when a head leant over the banistairs, two flights of stairs above him. It frowned down at him in return, then Frank suddenly recognised him. The round face, the straightened brown hair limply hanging over his hazel eyes.
"Hi Frank," smiled Ryan.
"Ryan," Frank breathed, and he moved up the stairs. He reached the landing and there he stood, leaning easily against the black railing. It was like going back in time, Frank hadn't seen anyone or anything that had reminded him so much of Erin since he'd last seen her..it made him grin more than he ever had in the last 4 months. He held out a hand,which Ryan shook still smiling politely. Frank was glad that he didn't still hold him entirely responsible for what had happened to Julie..
"Come in," said Ryan gesturing towards the open door, "How have you been doing? It's been a while.."
Frank stepped into the the warm living room. The walls had been roughly painted a deep red, and there was some clatter on the small table, and on the floor..cds,magazines,empty beer cans, and a stripy carpet on the already carpeted floor.
"Fine,thanks Ryan. Been on tour lately.." Frank said, slipping off his jacket. Ryan took it and draped it over one of the armchairs.
"Yes, I heard you had, you're becoming quite big." smiled Ryan. They sat down on the chesterfield, and Frank started to feel slightly uncomfortable: he didn't remember ever having been alone with Ryan.
Ryan continued, "So you were looking for Erin,huh?"
"Umm, yes..when did she move?"
"A few months ago, three, maybe four..you see, after the, er, accident, Val moved in with us. So Erin said she needed some time on her own, and moved out. She's quite close by though, 15 minutes."
"Oh,wow, I didn't know.."
"She said you two had been in touch."
"We have, she just..never mentioned changing apartment."
"Odd," remarked Ryan, raising an eyebrow. "Can I get you anything? Beer, or maybe some tea?"
Frank smiled, "I'll take the beer,thanks."
"Right-oh," Ryan got up and moved to the adjoicent room, where Frank heard the sound of a fridge door opening.
"So how's Val?" Frank asked loudly so he would hear him.
"She's good..she was quite shaken by the, um, events..but she's better." Ryans voice replied from the kitchen. Frank didn't answer, he din't really know what he could say to that. Ryan popped his head round the door to the living room, ad gave a simpathetic smile. "You know we don't blame you, Frank, not anymore."
Frank nodded, the horrible feeling he'd had in these months grabbed at his stomach, but he tried to shake it off.
"Yes..so where is she now?"
"Oh, she took Erin to a doctors appointment, she should be back any minuite now."
Frank blinked, confused. "A doctor? is she sick?"
Ryan laughed unsurely, snapping the top off one of the bottles of beer. "No no, a check up, you know.."
Frank was still somewhat confused. "I..she never mentioned anything.."
Ryan froze, halfway through snapping the second bottle top, bottle opener in hand. He slowly lifted his gaze to meet Frank's, frowning. "She didn't?"
Frank shook his head, puzzled. Ryan raised his eyebrows and brought the two bottles through, sitting down again beside him.
"Frank, she's...Erin's pregnant. You didn't know that?"
Frank was aware that is jaw had dropped. He..what? It couldn't be true. But she said she hadn't been seeing anyone..he shook the thought from his head. This didn't matter, he was supposed to be happy for her.
"I..wow, that's great!" he forced a smile.
Ryans expression was still highly concerned. He observed Franks expression for a few moments, then raised his eyebrows.
"Well, I really thought that you of all people would have known, I must say I'm surprised.."
Frank felt a jolt in his stomach. "What do you mean, me of all pe.."
and then it struck him.
The icy wet bottle slipped from his grasp and landed with a loud thud. The cold beer glugged out. He could hear Ryan distantly moaning and fretting over the stain that had now covered the floor.
She was pregnant. Suddenly it all clicked..that's why she hadn't wanted to see him. It was his. And she hadn't told him. But why? why hadn't she told him?
It took him a few minutes before he realized that Ryan was shaking his shoulder.
"Hey man, you allright? I can't believe she didn't tell you..she told me she had..Ugh, wait till I see her, I'll give her a piece of my mind..just think.."
Frank suddenly stood up.
"Sorry Ryan, I have to go. Thanks for the beer."
And without a backward glance he grabbed the jacket from the armchair beside him and rushed out of the room. He had to repeat the information to himself all the way out and down the stairs, so that it would sink in.
He reached the black car and slid in, slamming the door behind him, panting from his jog down the stairs.
"Shit Frank, what happened, you're dead white.."
He couldn't answer, it was still unbelievable to repeat it to himself, let alone someone else..
"Hey, what happened up there?" Gee took Franks shoulders and tried to turn him round so he could see his face. But something had caught Franks eye, and Gee followed his gaze.
A red car had just pulled up on the other side of the car park, directly in front of them. They could hear voices, two young womans voices, apparently having a discussion, but muffled by the frame of the car.
There was a clunk and the drivers door opened. The outline was of a short girl, who turned around sharply, making her long curly hair fly behind her.
"...Exactly," she half shouted. Another clunk and the passengers door opened too. A slightly taller girl stepped out, a bit more hesitantly than the other, her dark blonde hair catching some of the light from the street lamp.
"It's too late, anyway," She answered.
"But those are.." whispered Gee, Frank nodded. "But then who were you.." Frank put his index to his lips, indicating to Gee to be quiet,but keeping his eyes glued to the figures.
Val's shape put her hands on her hips and seemed to stomp. "No it is not, if I had known about this before..!"
"That is exacactly why I didn't tell you." Erin snapped back. Val let out a noise that sounded like a growl of frustration.
"When are you planning on letting him know?!" She demanded.
"I'm not." Answered Erin flatly.
Val seemed to seethe for a few moments, but said nothing. She walked briskly to her front door and slipped the keys in. Erin didn't move, but brought her sleeve to her eyes.
Val clicked the door open, but waited. When she saw that Erin wasn't moving, she whispered in a much calmer tone. "Come on baby, it'll all be ok."
Erin's shape nodded, and then moved over to the door as well. She walked slower, and the light of the streetlamp shone over her hair, the form of the hoodie she wore...and the bump that rose from her stomach.
Gee gave a sudden and loud gasp. Frank whacked his hand over Gees mouth to stop anymore noise attracting attention.
Val put an arm around Erins shoulders and ushered her in, the door shut with a snap.
Frank let his hand slip from Gees mouth, and they sat in a stunned silence for a few moments.
"Holy mother of fuck," breathed Gee finally. "so that's why you were all...shook up."
"Ryan was up there, he told me.."
"Did he tell you who the father was,too?"
Frank hesitated. He'd be facing up to the truth by saying out loud.
"Me...Holy shit,I'm going to be a dad."