I Hear it's Wonderful in Heaven

Chapter One: Remember

With his eyes closed Kevin found that everything felt more intense; the river breeze blew just a little bit stronger across his face and the rustling leaves sounded just a bit louder as they lazily traced a path over the grounds of the cemetery.

As he continued to run his had across the glossy surface of the coffin, he found himself biting his lip to keep from gasping as the memories of her flooded his mind faster and more intense than ever before.

It was as if she was standing right next to him. He breathed deeply swearing to himself that he could smell her perfume in the air; he shivered to himself at the sound of her musical laugh and he shivered once more as her voice whispered in his ear.

Remember me Kevin; remember me as I was, not like I am. Think back Kevin, do you remember me now? Do you remember the girl I used to be? Remember the happy times before the disease; before the pain, the needles, and the wigs. Think back to when I was the fan girl and you were the rock star on the rise; do you remember? Smile Kevin because I know you remember, after all it’s your favorite memory of me.

Kevin’s eyes popped open as he jerked his hand away from the glossy surface of the coffin breathing hard; it was as if he had just run the hardest race of his life. His heart was beating wildly and adrenalin was coursing through his veins, yet he wasn’t scared; on the contrary, he was quite exhilarated. As he took a small step away from the ominous contraption he couldn’t stop the smile that began to form on his face. He smiled because he did remember.

As he took his seat beside her mother he thought back over the years, back to the very beginning

Back to the very first day they met.

XXXXX

Kevin picked up his pace as he blew on his coffee, making his way through the slightly crowded mall. He knew that they had a show in less than two hours and he also knew that his dad would be none too pleased with his small disappearing act but, and this was a big but, he needed his coffee.

He took a tentative sip that slightly scalded his tongue on the way down, as he continued his quickened pace he closed his eyes just for a moment to savor the taste, only he must have closed his eyes for a little too long because the next thing he knew he ran into something or rather someone quite hard.

Kevin’s eyes popped open just in time to see a girl around his age tumble to the ground followed by his coffee cup.

“OH,” the girl cried in surprise as she tossed her MP3 player to the side in order to pull her saturated shirt away from her body slightly.

Kevin flushed in embarrassment as he scooped her MP3 player up before it met with the quickly spreading puddle of coffee, he reached his hand out to help her up, “I am so sorry, are you okay?”

The girl grabbed his hand careful to keep the coffee covered shirt away from her body with the other, “Well let’s see, I’m covered in scalding hot coffee what do you…” the girl looked up and locked eyes with Kevin, “Think,” she finished with a squeak.

Kevin looked at the girl in confusion as the beginning of a VERY familiar song began to blare through her ear phones. It couldn’t be could it? He glanced at the screen of the device in his hand and sure enough Mandy.MP3 scrolled across the screen.

“Holy shit you’re Kevin Jonas!” The girl yelled as she slapped her hand across her mouth in embarrassment.

Kevin looked back at her with a slight grin as he handed her the device, “Umm, hi.”

The girl flushed pink, “I am so so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to..”

Kevin interrupted her, “I’m the one that is sorry I wasn’t looking where I was going”

“I was staring at the stage.”

“I had my eyes closed.”

“I was walking to fast…”

Kevin interrupted once more, “I say we both agree that neither of us were paying attention and that we can chalk it up to an accident, what do you say?” He asked as he held his hand out.

The girl smiled as she took his hand, “Agreed.”

Kevin smiled as he shook her hand, “Hi, I’m Kevin.”

The girl laughed, “I’m Ava.”

Kevin joined her laughter “Well it’s nice to meet you Ava; can I give you a hug?”

Ava scrunched her nose, “I would love a hug but I’m kinda sticky at the moment.”

Kevin slapped his forehead as he pulled out his wallet, “Where are my manners, let me buy you a shirt to replace the one I ruined.”

Ava looked alarmed, “No, no that’s not necessary. It’s really not that bad,” She added as she looked at the now brown shirt.

Kevin just looked at her.

“Okay so it is, but you don’t need to buy me a shirt, seriously,” She continued.

Kevin rolled his eyes, “It was my coffee that ruined it so it’s only fare; I insist.”

Ava just stared at Kevin, she could tell from his expression that his mind was made up, “Oh alright, if you insist.”

Kevin smiled as he walked over to a stall that was selling t-shirts, picked one and paid for it.

He grinned as he tossed it to her, “It was really nice meeting you Ava but I have to run; if you wait around after the show I’ll introduce you to my brothers.”

As he started to walk backwards she yelled, “How to you even know I’m going to your show?”

Kevin smiled once more pointed to the MP3 player in her hand then turned and ran.

As he ran through the crowd and tried to get to the “back stage area,” he smiled to himself. He loved meeting fans, especially when it’s unexpected like that. And Ava, well she was different; she was intriguing.

He stopped to catch his breath in front of the curtains that marked off the “back stage area,” as he worked on his breathing an idea formed in his mind. Ripping back the curtain he hurried through, “Hey guys, I’ve got a girl picked out for Please Be Mine.”

Joe looked up from his stretch, “Oh? What’s her name?”

Kevin grinned, “Ava.”

XXXXX

Kevin felt someone place a hand on his shoulder breaking him from his reverie, he looked up to see Joe’s sad face gazing at him. Kevin sent him a small smile as if to say everything was okay and patted the seat beside him.

As Joe sat down Kevin looked up at the coffin once more. Yes he remembered, he remembered everything.

As he closed his eyes once more he felt the breeze pick up again and heard these whispered words,

Thank you.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what did you think? Is Kevin going crazy? is his mind playing tricks on him or is Ava really there? You tell me....

I'm sorry this took so long to get out but I had two different ways I could take this and I couldn't decide...well obviously I did but it took forever,lol..

I hope you liked it and as always comments are greatly appreciated!!