It's Our Time to Shine

Flirtation.

”Hey!”, Bert suddenly said, sitting in the chair across from the sofa where I was sitting.
“I’ve finished that book you wanted to read.”
“’The Catcher In the Rye?’”
“Yeah. It was awesome. Now I know why Gerard loves it so much after tellin´ me about it.”
“Can I read it after you?”, I asked eagerly.
“Sure! Here”, Bert replied with a smile, handing over the book which he got from under the table.

As he handed me the book, I could feel his thumb gently brushing my hand.
I couldn’t do anything at that point, anything but to greet his shy smile.
I was totally caught off guard after Bert’s flirtatious move.
I mean, I thought he was over it, trying to flirt and sending me winking eyes after all these weeks.
It had been a while since last time he did it, so I reckoned he’d stopped.
Obviously, I was wrong.

“Bert, is it okay if I go read the book in my bed?”, I asked, looking at him while waiting for an answer.
“Yeah, sure. Totally.”
“Thanks”, I said, before heading down the tour bus and into the king-size bed.
As I leaned confused back in the bed, I began reading the book I was borrowing from him called ‘The Catcher In the Rye’.
During that time, I felt my whole entire body relax.
The comfort from the pillows in the king-size bed made me feel sleepy after a while, even though it wasn’t even 4 pm.

“Hey”, a soft voice said from behind. “How are you?”
It was Quinn coming from the kitchen area.
“Hi”, I responded, closing the book while giving him a smile.
“What’re you readin´?”, he then asked, sitting down next to me in the king-size bed.
“Just a book I got from Bert. It’s called ‘The Catcher In the Rye‘.”
“Oh, isn’t that, like, and old book?”
“Yeah, I think so. I think it’s from World War II. Let me see, I’ll check the booklet in the front. Oh, here it is; published in the late 1940’s.”

“Ahh”, Quinn responded, not too enthusiastic. “So, lookin´ forward to meet Mrs. McCracken?”
“What? Who?”
“Bert’s mom”, he laughed.
“Oh, do you guys call her that?”, I asked, actually quite surprised.
“Yeah. It’s for the courtesy, I guess. I’ve called her by that title since the first time I met her.”
“Oh, I see. Sounds fair enough. I’m kinda nervous about meeting her, though.”
“Aww, don’t worry. I’ll be fine. She’s really nice. And always bakes the best cookies!”, Quinn said grinning.

I smiled at him, but was interrupted by an unexpected yawn.
“You tired?”, he asked, looking at me with a smile.
“Yeah, a little. But it’s no use of sleeping now. I mean, we’re arriving Orem in a couple of hours, right?”
“Well”, Quinn started, gazing out of the tiny window above me in the king-size bed.
“There’s so traffic now, so that might delay us a while.”
“Oh.”
“You know what – sleep, and I’ll come wake you up when we’re almost there, okay?”
“You’d do that for me?”, I asked, looking up at him.
“Sure! No problem.”
“Thank you.”
“Great!”, he agreed, for then to gently tuck me in the covers as I sunk down in the king-size bed.
Quinn stroked his hand over my forehead and gave me a smile, before he walked over to the sofa group further down the tour bus.

It was completely silent now, only the sound of the bus’ engine running could be heard.
I yawned once more, feeling my eyes getting harder and harder to keep open as I felt them shutting, making me fall asleep.

“Hey, sleepy head”, someone said softly, gently shaking my shoulder.
It was Quinn.
“We’re almost in Orem now, so I figured I’d wake you up”, he smiled.
“Oh, yeah”, I responded, stretching my body in the king-size bed.

“Hey, babe. You hungry?”, Bert asked as I slowly walked towards the sofa group.
“Hungry?”, I repeated.
I wasn’t fully awake yet while I was rubbing my eyes, probably smudging the mascara all over my face.
“Yeah. We ate a couple of hours ago, but there’s some left-overs at the kitchen counter”, he explained.

I gazed over at the counter, spotting a bowl of what seemed to be a fruit salad.
“Jepha made it”, Quinn added as he scratched his 2-day beard.
“You ate a couple of hours ago? What’s the time?”, I asked, slightly confused.
“It’s almost 6 pm”, he replied.
“Have I been asleep for that long?”
“Yeah, sleepy head. You’ve been out for several hours”, I heard Bert say as he blew out the smoke from his cigarette.
It seemed like I’d just gone to bed, and I didn’t feel relaxed at all.

“Where’s Jepha and Dan, by the way?”, I asked, noticing the both of them were gone.
“Oh, they went and took a nap just a couple of hours after you did.”
“Ah, I see. Hey, is the bathroom available? I really need to take a shower”, I said, feeling all warm and sweaty.
“Yeah, it’s open.”

As I headed inside the bathroom, I got my red backpack which so faithfully had been with me ever since the first day I met the guys at The Hove Festival earlier this summer back in Norway.
I open the backpack and started going through some clothes that was packed inside it.
There, I noticed that there weren’t many clean clothes left.
“Hey, Bert?”, I said, peeking out of the bathroom door. “Do you think your mom would mind if I maybe washed some of my clothes when we arrive?”

I really needed to wash my clothing. It had been weeks since I last did it.
Luckily, I had brought with me a large amount of clothes to the festival, so I had a few fresh ones left.
Still, I needed to wash them before I ran out.

“Yeah, sure. No problem”, he responded smiling, peeking inside the bathroom.
“Hey! I’m actually trying to keep the door closed here. What if I’m naked in here – did that ever cross your mind?”
“I don’t mind.”
“Sure you don’t.”
I couldn’t help blushing.

“So… Are you naked?”, Bert suddenly asked, peeking inside the bathroom like a little child does in front of a candy shop.
“No!”, I laughed, still having the door almost closed.
“Oh, man. And now you got me all excited”, he pouted humoristically, giving me a very suspicious smile before crashing down on the sofa again…
♠ ♠ ♠
i miss my old readers. D:
along with the subscribers and commenters.
come back, people. ;D
i miss you guys. (:

xo,
lina,