It's Our Time to Shine

The Hoodie And the Bus Shed.

”Oh, no! I don’t have a jacket”, I suddenly burst out as me and Bert stood inside the entrance, now realizing that I’d thrown all of my outdoor-jackets in the washing machine along with the rest of my dirty clothes.
“Here – take mine”, he smiled, taking off his black hoodie before handing it to me.
“No, I can’t. What about you, what are you gonna wear?”
“I’ll just go and find another one. Here, take it.”
“Thank you”, I said as I grabbed his hoodie and put it on while stepping outside.

Even though the sun was shining and the temperature was high, I still preferred to wear some sort of jacket or hoodie, just as a habit.
Apparently, so did Bert as I saw him coming out of the house again, now wearing another black hoodie.

“Hey, it fits you”, he grinned while looking at me with yet another smile.
“Yeah, it does. I feel like a hobo, though.”
I couldn’t stop giggling. It must’ve sounded pathetic.
“Nah, you shouldn’t. Hell, I’m wearing almost the same as you.”
“Sorry”, I responded laughing.
“Besides, I think you look fuckin´ awesome in my hoodie”, Bert said, blinking his eye at me before the both of us started walking.

As we were walking down the street, I couldn’t help noticing that there were hardly any cars at all in the area, neither any children and definitely not any cats or dogs of any kind running around.

“Bert…”, I began, slowing down a little.
“Yeah?”
“How come there aren’t any kids playing here or animals running around in the streets, and no cars?”
“Ahh, I was wondering when you were gonna ask me that. Well, you see, it’s always been like this around here. Us fuckin´ Mormons are pretty fucked up, right?”
“But you’re not a Mormon, are you?”
I was asking a question to Bert’s question, a question I was trying to avoid.
Who was I to judge whether Mormons were fucked up or not? I hardly knew anyone who was.

“Fuck, no. And that’s why I hated it so much, you know, growing up in this neighborhood because there was nothing you could call normal here”, he started.
“When I was a kid, I wasn’t allowed to play in the streets, and whenever I for example brought home a stray dog or somethin´, my dad threw it out the second later. I fucking hated it.”
The tone in Bert’s voice was so dismal and I hadn’t heard him talk like this before.

“I’m sorry”, I said, looking at him with an understand look.
“No, don’t be. You were just a kid then yourself. There was nothing you could do. I’m just glad that I got away from this town. From all of this. Fuck, it still manages to give me the creeps even years after I’ve moved out of here. The only reason I even come back here to Orem is because of mom – and dad of course. They’ve lived here their entire lives and I don’t even think mom’s been out of town for decades, so it’s up to me to keep in touch with them.”
“Yeah, I understand that. You’re a good guy, Bert. I would’ve done the same thing for the ones I love”, I said, trying to sound as understand and caring as I possibly could.
I think I made it.

He gave me a smile as we began walking down the street again after a short break.
I pressed my cheek against his hoodie, sticking my hands down its pockets, before I sensed the scent of his cologne; Aqua di Gio by Giorgio Armani.
Did Bert use cologne? Since when? Did he use cologne because of me? Either way, I hadn’t noticed this before. Or maybe I’d just been too inattentive to notice.
The wind had now started to increase and the sun was being blocked by some heavy clouds that just kept on coming and coming.

“Looks like the good weather’s abandoning us. We better hurry up”, Bert said while looking up at the sky which now wasn’t as cloudless as it had been just a couple of minutes ago.
“Yeah, I hope it doesn’t start to rain.”
“Me neither.”
“So, where were you planning on taking me?”, I asked curious with a smile upon my face.
“Uhm, I don’t know. How about going downtown to the market and then visit this park called Scera Park before which I like before headin´ down to the parking lot to maybe meet the guys? Whaddaya think about that?”
“Sounds like a great day”, I responded, meeting Bert’s crystal blue eyes as I looked up at him.

He bumped into my shoulder, grinning as we kept on walking down the street, seeing nothing but our own shadows following us.

“Oh, fuck – it’s starting to rain!”, Bert burst out, wrinkling his nose before blowing it off with a smile and a giggle.
“Come on, we better get goin´”, he ten said, taking my hand as we started running.
“Where are we going?”, I asked between my breaths.
I was not, I repeat, not built for this kind of running.
Like the un-fit person that I am, after only 100 feet of running, I felt my breath becoming short.
“Some kind of shelter where we can take cover”, he answered, clearly becoming out of breath himself.

The warm summer rain was now running down my neck, feeling it pouring down my shoulder as it got to my bra, making it wet.

“Over there!”, Bert said, taking a turn to the left while dragging me across the street where the both of us stepped into puddles and making our feet wet.
For some weird reason, it didn’t matter at all.

The shed was some sort of abandoned shack, almost like a bus shed that hadn’t been used in years.
Regardless of its lacking ability of keeping most of the rain at a distance, this didn’t matter either.
Our clothes were now soaking wet, but despite this, for some reason we couldn’t stop smiling as we sat next to each other under the bus shed, just looking into each other’s eyes…
♠ ♠ ♠
i like this update. ;D
and i have the nerve to call it cute.
yes, i know i've written this story and update myself,
but still, i have the nerve to call it cute.
because i truly think it is. :]
do you agree? (:

oh, and btw; i'm so happy right now. ::inlove:
i just got a reply from the used on myspace.
it's the second time this year, and it's just mid-february so far!
oh, my god; i am so beyond happy. it's been the third time
they've actually bothered answering me so far.
so, yeah; they made my day once again.
do you guys wanna know what they said? i could post a screenshot? :]

xo,
lina.