It's Our Time to Shine

Walking Down the Streets of Orem.

Hey, guys. Are you there”, Bert asked, coming from the bunk beds while carrying his marine blue bag.
“Yeah, over here”, Quinn responded, meaning himself, me and Jepha.
“We’re parked now, so we better get goin´. It’s gettin´ late and I’m starving.”
“Totally. I’ll go get Dan.”
“I’mma go out meanwhile. Lina, you comin´?”
“Yeah”, I said, looking at Bert before getting my red backpack and heading out of the tour bus.

“Isn’t Jepha coming too?”
“He needed to pack some more. He’d forgotten to bring some underwear, that asshole”, he answered grinned.
“Of course… We all need that.”
“Fuck, yeah. Did you remember packing that?”
“Packing what?”, I asked Bert, not really following what we were talking about anymore.
“Clean underwear!”
“Oh, yeah. Sure, I always do”, I smiled, having an idiotic look upon my face.
“Do you”, I then asked him, not being able to hide the humoristically tone in my voice.
“We’ll see”, he replied, winking his right eye.

“Hey, Bert, isn’t your mom comin´ to pick us up?”, Dan said, walking towards us from the front of the now parked bus.
“Nah, she’s at home making dinner, so she need to watch the over, moron”, he answered.
“Oh, fuck. Didn’t think of that.”

“So we need to walk, right?”, Quinn asked, carrying a dark bag on his shoulders.
“Yep.”
“Ah, man! But it’s so far!”
“Stop whining, Quinn. It’s just half a mile”, Jepha added, being the last one to leave the bus as all of us headed outside.
“Whatever. Let’s go”, he mumbled, walking down the pitch black road only lit up by a few street lights, making us all follow him.

I started wondering what would happen to the tour bus being parked all alone with no one to keep an eye on it, when I suddenly remember the crew still being inside.
They would be spending the night in it before driving back to California, a couple of states further south from Utah, to park it safely over there.

“Hey, Lina, is your bag heavy? ‘Cause I could carry it for you if you wanna?”, Jepha suddenly offered, approaching me from behind with a smile.
“No, it’s okay. But thank you, though. It isn’t that heavy, anyway – just some clothes and stuff.”
“And underwear.”
“What?”, I said, slightly giggling.
“And underwear”, Bert repeated, now grinning like an idiot.
“Moron”, Jepha added, shaking his head with a smile.

As we walked down the pitch black street, all five of us each carrying our bag on our shoulders, I kept on noticing that the surroundings weren’t as unfamiliar as I had thought them would be.
Even though it was my first time in Orem, Utah, this street seems so familiar.
But at the same time, I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

The clock had just passed 8 pm and the sun had now turned mellow orange as it hid behind the mountains across the field to the road.
I kept on thinking why this place seemed so familiar and why I couldn’t find the reason why.
It bugged me so bad not knowing that.

I played with the thought, going back and forth, trying to figure out the answer, but once again, I just couldn’t put my finger on it.
Then, without any warning signals, Bert suddenly started jumping around the pitch black street while singing;
It’s our time to shine, through the down, glorified by what is ours!
We’ve fallen in love! We’ve fallen in love! Was the best idea I ever had!


“Come on, guys – sing with me!”, he said eagerly, still jumping around.
“Look, the gas station”, Quinn added, completely ignoring Bert as we approached the gas station with a sign on the door that stood ‘UTAHCO’, something that now made me realize why this place wasn’t as unfamiliar anymore.

Then, without really knowing how to explain it, it suddenly hit me; The Taste of Ink.
The music video of ‘The Taste of Ink’ was filmed here back in 2002!
“’The Taste of Ink’!”, I burst out, suddenly remembering why this street felt so familiar now.

“What? Well, that’s a good song, but it was actually singing ‘A Box Full of Sharp-”
“I know that, but that wasn’t what I meant”, I said, interrupting Bert.
“Oh. Then what was it?”
“It’s just that now I remember why this place seem so familiar. ‘The Taste of Ink’ was filmed here, right?”
“Yeah, how’d ya know?”, Quinn asked, looking at me with a surprised look as he was scratching his head.

“Because of the music video and the gas station, and the scenery. The setting was placed here, am I correct?”
I was acting like a maniac, asking the guys questions that were related to this.
But they needed to be asked. I needed to know.

“Yeah, totally. Fuck, Lina, you have a good memory, you know that?”, Bert giggled as he looked at me with a smile.
"Agreed. Mine sucks to be honest", Quinn added grinning.
“Pfft”, I said, laughing it off, before I suddenly noticed the gas station down the road where some of the scenes in ‘The Taste of Ink’ were filmed.
“Hey, why are you so eager to get to the gas station?”, Jepha asked, now seeing how fast I was walking towards it.
“I just wanna get inside there and see how it looks. It’s so cool that I’m actually on the set to ‘The Taste of Ink’ and seeing all of the surroundings here”, I blushed.
“You’re weird, you know that?”, he smiled, ruffling my hair with a gently stroke.

As we were walking down the streets of Orem, still being somewhat far away from the gas station at the end of the street, I saw that there were actually no one around but me and the guys.
There was only one single street light shining bright, and at that point, everything was so peaceful.
The atmosphere was nothing as I had felt before.
The warm summer wind blew in our faces, making my cheeks tickle and it was just to relaxing.
I felt alive...
♠ ♠ ♠
isn't this a great start of the new year of '09 by
giving you lovely readers an entirely newlong update?
i'd say so.
no, just kidding, guys. ;D
but i hope that all of you had an amazing year, 2008 that is,
and may this year be even better than the last one! (:

xo,
lina.