It's Our Time to Shine

Welcome Home To the McCracken Household.

”Robert!”, a gently voice burst out.
“Mom”, Bert said, wrapping his arms around his mother as she tugged him tightly.
“And the boys of course!”, she continued, giving each and every one of the guys a great big hug.
“But what do we have here? Are you the girl I have been hearing so much about?”, Mrs. McCracken then asked in a soft voice, looking at me with a smile while her bright eyes were sparkling.
I could see by the look of it that Bert had his mother’s eyes.

“Mom, I’d like you to meet Lina. She’s the one I’ve been tellin´ you all about”, he explained.
“How lovely to finally be able to meet you, sweetie!”, she said, before wrapping her arms around me, squeezing me against her breast which felt like pillows at that moment.
“Please, come in! I bet you’re all starving.”

As we headed inside the McCracken house, we were met by a scent so heavenly that I just had to close my eyes for a moment while feeling the smell filling my nostrils, making me sigh.
“Now, take off your shoes and jackets, and come into the living room when you are done”, Mrs. McCracken smiled as she toddled into the kitchen, leaving us in the entrance.

“Oh, fuck, I’m so hungry!”, Bert said, taking off his shoes.
“What’s that, hunny?”, his mother asked, peeking her head out of the kitchen.
“Uhm… Nothing, mom!”, he responded, totally forgetting that she strictly forbid any kind of cussing in the McCracken household.
“Yes, mom, I love you, mom”, Quinn grinned, talking in a childish mocking voice.
“Shut up”, Bert replied, rolling his eyes with a smile as he entered the living room, followed by the rest of us.

As we walked towards the newly-set dining table, I couldn’t keep but notice the living room’s, in fact, the whole house’s, design.
The walls had a light burgundy color along with dark brown curtains in the windows which would’ve made any interior designer weep.
Although the entire house broke most of the what you can call ‘designer and interior’ rules, it didn’t matter.
The house was beautiful and you could see that Mrs. McCracken had put a lot of effort into it by making it feel as cozy and lived-in as possible.
As far as I knew, she didn’t fail.

Before I got the chance to scan the living room even more than I’d already done, I saw Mrs. McCracken entering the living room while carrying a big casserole in her hands.
“The pot-roast is served”, she said in a high tone, slipping an underlay under the casserole before she placed it on the dining table.
We could all see Jepha’s disappointed look as he wrinkled his nose while glaring at the pot-roast.

“Oh, I haven’t forgotten about you, Jepharee”, Mrs. McCracken smiled. “Why can’t you eat meat products again, dear? Does it have anything to do with a poor digestion?”
We could all heard Quinn and Dan choking on a laugh now as they were hitting each other to prevent them both from bursting out into a convulsive laughter.
“No, Mrs. McCracken”, Jepha replied in a risible voice. “I’m a vegetarian.”
“Oh, I see! That explains why you are so thin! Wait here while I go and fetch my specialty”, she said, tripping into the kitchen again.

“It’s probably a sheep’s heart”, Quinn commented, grinning at Jepha before looking over at Dan.
“Yeah, just wait n’ see”, he agreed.
“Fuck you, guys, and eat your god damn pot-roast!”
“There, there, boys!”, Mrs. McCracken now said, entering the kitchen again, carrying a plate.
“Here you go, Jepharee. I don’t know which vegetables you prefer, so I made a little mix.”
“That’s okay. I pretty much eat anything as far as vegetables go”, he answered, carefully analyzing what was on his plate.

“How lovely! But I must say, it isn’t that much of food, so I made you some extra rice.”
“Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. What is it, by the way?”
I had to smile. Jepha didn’t have the slightest idea what he had just been served, and neither did I.
“Oh, it’s mushrooms and hazelnut-stuffed peppers”, Mrs. McCracken explained.
“Wow, classy, mom”, Bert said, gazing up at her while seeing her stand next to him, still wearing her apron.
“Well, I do my best”, she smiled as she took off the apron and went to the kitchen to hang it up, before coming back into the living room again.

“Where’s dad, by the way? And Joe?”, Bert then asked, looking up at his mother.
“You father is on his annual elk hunt. Don’t you remember? It is the first week of August every year. He always goes hunting at this time.”
“Oh, yeah. I must’ve forgotten. Where’s Joe, then?”
“Joseph Taylor went camping with a couple of his friends. You know how boys are at that age.”
“Yeah, I can imagine”, he grinned.

“Let us pray before dinner now, shall we?”, Mrs. McCracken said as she sat down, folding her hands.
This was a ritual I was very familiar with, knowing that I grew up in a very conservative and strict Christian household with strong beliefs.
I immediately closed my eyes as I now saw the other guys doing the same.
“O’Lord, thank You for Your blessings and this food that you have given us. May it be blessed. Amen.”

During dinner, which I’d have to say was the weirdest one I’ve ever had, neither ones of us spoke a word.
I got the feeling that to make conversation wasn’t a part of the routine in the McCracken household, seeing as they were Mormons.
Here, you just let the food silence you and you were content with that.

When we were all done eating, I automatically began gathering the empty plates that were on the dining table.
“No, no, no, sweetie”, Mrs. McCracken said in a soothing voice. “Let me do that. Go upstairs with your luggage meanwhile so you can get settled for the night. Robert, dear, would you be so kind to help Lina upstairs and follow her into the guest room, please?”
“Yeah, sure, mom”, he responded, looking up at the stairs. “It’s right over here, come one.”

I did as he said and followed Bert up the stairs, carrying my red backpack which I got from the entrance.
“You’re gonna sleep in my old room for the night. It’s turned into a guest room during the years, though, but it’s still got my aura over it, so it’s good”, he grinned as he opened the door to the room.
I could immediately tell that it had been turned into a guest room considering the light pink curtains along with the matching bedcover.
The smell of newly-washed sheets was hardly to be avoided and I could tell that the entire room had been cleaned for my arrival.
At that moment, I felt like I had been warmly welcomed into the McCracken Family’s household…
♠ ♠ ♠
first of all; i'd like to congratulate a very special guy.
it's actually his birthday today.
HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY, JEPHA! ;D
man, at age 30, you're still able to rock the world.
keep it like that, okay? i love you, dude. (: <3

okay, so now back to the update; did you guys like it? :]
gah, i still need to find out mrs. mccracken's name.
lmao, i really wanna know! got any tips? xD

xo,
lina.