Mental Fiction Follows Me

Chapter 1: Letters Home

September 16, 1999

Dearest Brian,

You’re the bestest cousin ever!! I’m just playing, but you really are. So, how are things there? Are you having fun on tour? (Of course, you are!)

The Army’s not so bad, not like everyone told me it would be. I’m just still surprised they let me in. No one’s figured out I’m crazy yet, can you believe it?

Well, I’ve got to go. I know my letter’s short, but I’m supposed to be asleep now. (But, as you know, sleeping is for losers). I’ll try and write more next time.

Love,
Syd

September 11, 2001

Dearest Brian,

Can you believe it?! One minute I’m happy because of my twentieth birthday. The next, I learned that someone has jacked a plane and rammed into the Twin Towers. What’s this world coming to, Bri? It’s like nothing is safe anymore.

Everyone here is all riled up, obviously. They’re already talking about war and avenging our people. We saw everything on TV. It’s just...bullshit. All of it.

Sorry for the shortness, but I gotta go.

Love,
Syd


April 16, 2003

Dearest Brian,

It’s official now. I’m leaving for Iraq tomorrow. They told me this morning. I’ve already written a letter to Mom and told her. Watch after her for me, please, Brian. I’m all she has left, besides you and Aunt Jan and Papa Gates (I already love that name).

Good luck with the new album. I’ll bet it does even better than the first one. Your third one will be better than the second one, and so on. Then everyone will know my talented cousin and his amazing band.

I’ve got to go now. I’ve got a big day tomorrow. Well, bye.

Love,
Syd

December 25, 2005

Dearest Brian,

I’m sorry I couldn’t make it home for Christmas. I know most people get to come home sometimes, but I just can’t do it, Bri. If I came home to see everyone, I wouldn’t be able to come back. And then I’d probably get my ass thrown in jail. You can understand that, right?

I heard about the new CD from Mom. Didn’t I tell you that one would make you famous? Now everyone will know just how amazing you and your friends are. You deserve it, Bri. Oh, and before I forget, Danny (remember him?) wanted you to read his song. He’s been thinking about Kaitlyn a lot, and he hates he can’t be there for her and the kids this Christmas. So, he wrote a song. He’s a big fan of the band too, so I thought I’d send this to you.

He gets to go home for good in about four more years, and it’s all he can talk about. Anyway, he likes to call it “Gunslinger.”

Yeah, you've been alone
I've been gone for far too long
But with all that we've been through
After all this time I'm coming home to you

Never let it show
The pain I've grown to know
'Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you

I reach towards the sky I've said my goodbyes
My heart's always with you now
I won't question why so many have died
My prayers have made it through yeah
'Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you

Letters keep me warm
Helped me through the storm
But with all that we've been through
After all this time I'm coming home to you

I reach towards the sky I've said my goodbyes
My heart's always with you now
I won't question why so many have died
My prayers have made it through yeah
'Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you

I've always been true
I've waited so long just to come hold you
I'm making it through
It's been far too long, we've proven our
love over time's so strong, in all that we do
The stars in the night, they lend me their light
to bring me closer to heaven with you

(Bring me closer)

But with all that we've been through
After all this time I'm coming home to you

I reach towards the sky I've said my goodbyes
My heart's always with you now
I won't question why so many have died
My prayers have made it through yeah
'Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you

And with all that we've been through
After all this time I'm coming home to you


Love,
Syd

PS: You should hear him sing it.


May 16, 2008

Dearest Brian,

I’m finally coming home. Can you believe it’s almost been ten years since I’ve seen you? I know you’re probably wondering why I’m coming home now, when I wasn’t supposed to be released for another year.

Let’s just say some bad stuff happened, okay? So, I’m going to chill in this fluffy bed until I’m all good to go, and then I’ll be knocking on your door. Tell Mom not to worry about me too much, okay? I’ll be fine.

Love,
Syd

PS: Thanks for putting “Gunslinger” on the new album. I can just imagine the look on Danny’s face if he had ever got to hear it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, there's the first one. It's mostly a filler, but there's plenty more to come.

Comment and let me know what you think so far.