Mental Fiction Follows Me

Chapter 41: First Meeting

"Syd?" I turned my head to see Jimmy smiling over at me, and my hand reached out for his. His fingers closed around mine, and I loved the feeling of his rough hands on mine.

"Something on your mind?" I asked. Everyone else was around us and talking, and I had never felt so at home. This was the reason I hung in there and refused to give up. This was worth every step I took.

"It's time for me to go get Devin," Jimmy said. His eyes were full of love again as he talked about...well, his son. Yes, he had a look of love in his eyes when he talked to me. This was something different though...something more pure and innocent.

"And you'll bring him back here?" I asked.

"Of course. I'm sure he's going to love you," Jimmy said. I nodded my head at his statement, and Jimmy gave me a quick kiss before standing up. I turned my head to watch him leave, and then I looked back at everyone else after he disappeared.

"You okay?" I turned my head to see Aiden looking at me, and I gave her a faint smile.

"Jimmy's gone to get Devin, and I think I'm going to wait outside," I said quietly.

"Devin's going to love you," Aiden said.

"I hope so." I gave one more small smile, and then I walked out onto the back patio. I was sure that Aiden would tell everyone else why I was outside, so I had nothing to worry about. For a little while, it was just me and my thoughts.

Jimmy's POV

Devin flew into the passenger seat, and the door closed behind him. I smiled at one of the teachers who helped kids into the car, and she gave me a small wave. I knew her from the PTA meetings I had been to. Yes, I am a member of the PTA. What can I say? People change.

"Daddy! Guess what! We're going to the zoo!" Devin yelled.

"I know, buddy. You told me a couple of weeks ago," I said.

"But we're going tomorrow," Devin said with a toothy smile. I had completely forgotten about that.

"That's right. We are, aren't we?" I asked.

"Yep."

"Hey, Devin?"

"Yeah, Daddy?"

"There's someone very special to me that I'd like you to meet. Her name is Sydney, but we just call her Syd," I said slowly. Devin's eyes raked over my face, and he chewed on his bottom lip.

"Is she the girl you missed?" Devin asked. I'm sure that he had heard me and some of the others talk about Syd, but I had never fully explained her to him.

"Yes, she's the girl I missed. She's going to be living with us, if that's okay," I said and glanced over at him. He was still chewing on his bottom lip and looked deep in thought.

"What if she doesn't like me?" Devin whispered. I stretched my arm across the seat and grabbed his little hand.

"She's going to love you," I said, truthfully. Devin nodded his head, but he didn't say anything for the rest of the car ride. We got back to Papa Gates's house soon, and I led Devin into the living room. Aiden caught my eyes, and she quickly got up and walked over to us. She ruffled Devin's hair and smiled down at him, and then she looked up at me.

"She's been waiting outside," she whispered. I nodded my head, and then I led Devin towards the back of the house. I slid open the door to the back patio, and I saw Syd sitting in one of the chairs. She was facing away from me, but I saw the muscles in her arms tense as she heard the door slide open. I looked down at Devin, and he nodded his head at me. He released my hand and walked forward, and I stepped back into the house. I wandered into the kitchen and sat down.

Syd's POV

I heard the door behind me slide open, and just about all my muscles suddenly went tense. I could take on a sandman, but I was terrified at the thought of meeting a five year old. Life's just funny that way though. I heard small footsteps walk towards me, and they stopped right next to my chair. I turned my head and saw a small boy standing next to me.

He didn't look underfed, he was just small. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a tee shirt with Cookie Monster on it. His shoes didn't have laces; they were velcro. His skin was slightly tanned, and it looked as if it glowed. His black hair fell across his eyebrows and looked untamable. It reminded me of Jimmy's hair; all over the place. His eyes were big and wide as he looked at me, and the color shocked me. It was almost like looking into a mirror. His eyes were the same pale brown as mine.

"Hello, Devin, it's nice to finally meet you. My name's Syd," I said and smiled at him. I had been around children before, so this shouldn't be too hard. The little boy looked away from my eyes and bit down on his lip.

"Daddy says you're going to be living with us," he said in a whisper. His voice still held that baby tone, and it made me wonder how anyone could just up and leave him. I had the urge to just pick him up and set him in my lap.

"Only if you want me to," I said. I meant it too. If Devin would be uncomfortable with it, then I'd stay somewhere else.

"You can stay." He was still looking at the ground and talking in a whisper.

"Devin, you don't have to be scared of me. I promise that I'm not going to hurt you," I said. For some reason, that was the vibe I was getting from him.

"My mommy used to hurt me." I shouldn't have been surprised; his mother had left him in a grocery store after all. I reached forward and grabbed one of his little hands, but it hung limply in my own.

"I will never hurt you. What your mommy did was wrong, and she shouldn't have ever done anything to hurt you." Devin finally lifted his head, and his eyes (that looked so much like mine) were filled with unshed tears.

"I asked Uncle Brian about you. He said you were in heaven and that you were an angel now," Devin said quietly. My eyes watered at his statement, and I lightly shook my head. I could tell him the truth, which would probably confuse him. Or, I could say something else.

"God decided to leave me here for just a little longer. I think I have some more things left to do," I said. Surprisingly, Devin's eyes told me that he understood. His fingers wrapped around my hand, and he walked closer to me. He wrapped his little arms around my neck, and I lifted him up into my lap. His head dropped to my chest and stayed there, and I ran my fingers through his unruly black hair.

"Syd?"

"Yeah, Devin?"

"Will you be my new mommy?" I was glad that Devin wasn't looking at me, because a few tears slipped from my eyes. I quickly wiped them away and cleared my throat.

"I would love to be your new mommy," I said and hugged him closer to me.

I don't know how long we sat outside, but eventually Devin's stomach rumbled quietly. We both laughed at the noise, and then Devin wiggled out of my lap. I stood up and smiled down at his offered hand. I wrapped my fingers around his, and then I lifted him off the ground. Devin let out a small squeal before laughing, and I balanced him on my hip. I was suddenly glad for all the working out I had done as Devin and I walked back into the house.

"Syd! Devin! How's it going, little guy?" Brian asked as he walked over to us. Everyone was still spread out around the living room, and now they were all looking at Devin and me.

"I'm okay, but I'm hungry. My tummy's growling," Devin said and pointed to his stomach. I had told Devin that Brian was my cousin, and that his "Nana" was actually my mother.

"Well, you're in luck tonight. Zacky just ordered pizza," Brian said with a wide smile. I watched as Devin's eyes lit up, and I smiled.

"All meat?" Devin asked.

"Of course," Zacky said from behind me. He walked around me and stood next to Brian, and I felt a presence beside me. I looked over and saw blue eyes looking down at me. I smiled up at Jimmy, and then Devin turned his head to look at him.

"Daddy, guess what! Syd said she'd move in with us and let me call her mommy!" Devin yelled. Now I could really feel everyone's eyes on me.

"That's great," Jimmy said and then looked over at me before adding, "Really great."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the chapter that everyone has been waiting for! I hope it's what everyone hoped for.

Well, there's only two more chapters left to go. I've thought about it, and I've decided to let my amazing readers choose for me, since there wouldn't even be this many chapters without you. I can either end this story in two weeks, by posting one chapter next Thursday and the last chapter the Thursday after that. Or, I can post the next chapter on Tuesday and the last chapter on next Thursday. I'm leaving the decision to all of you.

Thanks, as always, to all of my readers/subscribers/commenters!