Mental Fiction Follows Me

Chapter 6: Good To Be Home

Brian’s POV:

I woke up for the second time because someone was banging on my door. I groaned and looked at the clock. It was fifteen minutes after two in the afternoon. I untangled my sheets and stood up. I had on a pair of boxes, which was enough for me. I slowly walked over to the door and opened it. Aiden looked up at me with wide, worried eyes.

“Aiden? Something wrong?” I asked. All I could think about was Syd.

“Have you seen Syd?” she asked quietly.

“She isn’t in her room?” I asked.

“No,” Aiden said and looked down the hallway.

“I’ll get dressed, and then we’ll go check over to Aunt Sally’s,” I said.

“Okay. I’ll be in my room when you get ready,” Aiden said. I nodded my head, and Aiden walked off down the hallway. I closed my door and started to get dressed.

Syd’s POV:

“Oh, shut up!” Mom said and swatted at my hand.

“Me? Since when do you start getting inked?” I asked and poked the back of her neck.

“Since my daughter joined the army to save us all,” Mom said and winked at me. I propped my hands on my hips and looked at the American flag on the back of her neck. It looked like it was waving, and SYD was written beneath it. It was small, but it still made tears of pride and love swell in my eyes.

“Did it hurt?” I asked as I sat back in front of her. We were sitting alone in the kitchen and talking about everything that had gone on since I left.

“Ugh, don’t even get me started,” Mom said and rolled her eyes.

“Did what’s-his-name hold your hand?” I asked with a teasing smile. Mom had told me about the leading man in her life via letters, and she had even sent me a Christmas picture of him and her.

“His name is Mark, and yes he did,” Mom answered.

“Where is he now?” I asked.

“Visiting his son in Washington,” Mom said. Her eyes looked sad for a minute, but then she quickly smiled at me.

“I hope he comes back soon. I can’t wait to meet the man who stole my mother’s heart,” I said.

“He should be back tomorrow,” Mom said.

“Why haven’t you married him, Momma? You’ve been together for almost seven years now,” I said.

“We both agreed to never get married again. My first marriage didn’t work out, and neither did his,” Mom said.

“But you live in the same house. That’s living in sin, you know,” I said and smiled to let her know that I was playing.

“As if you’ve never sinned,” Mom said and cut a glance at me.

“Well, there was that one time...;” I said trailed off. Mom smacked my arm.

“Syd?” I turned around and saw Aiden wearing a relieved face. Brian was standing right behind her with a wide smile.

“Mom, I’d like you to meet Aiden. She’s the friend I brought with me,” I said and stood up. I looped my arm around Aiden’s shoulder and pulled her forward. Mom stood up and smiled.

“Syd’s told me so much about you. I’m glad I’m finally getting to meet you,” Mom said. I let go of Aiden, and Mom stepped forward to hug her. I watched as Aiden hugged her back, and I felt myself smile. It felt good to be home.

”Yes, it does. It’s been sooo long,” Lillian said quietly.

”I guess it’s alright. There’s not as much action, but it’ll do,” Sage said. I knew she had missed home too, but she’d never admit it.

“Brian!” Mom yelled.

“Hi, Aunt Sally,” Brian said and leaned around us to hug Mom.

“I’m gonna go find your mother, and I’ll be right back,” Mom said and walked out of the kitchen. Aiden quickly turned and smiled at me.

“Leave a note next time, okay? You had me worried,” she said.

“Sorry. I guess I wasn’t thinking,” I said and rubbed the back of my neck.

“It’s okay. Do you always disappear like that?” Aiden asked.

“Yes,” Brian answered for me.

“I do not!” I yelled.

“Do too! You were always disappearing when we were kids. Remember the time you just felt like going for a walk to the old farm?” Brian asked.

“Oh, yeah, that,” I said and sat back down in my chair.

“So you do disappear all the time?” Aiden asked and sat down across from me.

“I guess so,” I said and smiled. Honestly, I had been in the army for so long that I couldn’t remember some of my old habits. It seemed like they were starting to resurface. Maybe I could be human again...;back to normal. But where was the fun in that?

A Few Hours Later

“This has been nice,” I said quietly. Mom and Aunt Jan had invited all of Brian’s friends over, and then Papa Gates and Matt had started grilling. Papa Gates, Mom, and Aunt Jan were inside now, and the rest of us were just sitting around talking.

“It’s good to have you home, Syd,” Brian said and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I leaned my back against his chest and looked out towards the ocean.

“Yeah, I’ve missed my best friend,” I said and turned to smile up at him.

“I’ve missed mine too,” Brian said quietly. We were sitting at the end of the picnic table, basically alone. Aiden and Johnny were sitting in the grass and playing poker. Matt was sitting beside Johnny, Nikki was sitting in Matt’s lap, Zacky was sitting beside Aiden, and they were laughing and talking. Jimmy had disappeared with his cell phone attached to his ear.

“You haven’t ever told anyone else, have you?” I whispered.

“No, just you.”

“You should tell them.” Brian laughed softly, and my body rocked slightly.

“I think I’ll pass.”

“They wouldn’t judge you, Bri. They’re not like the guys from back home. They’d accept you. All of you,” I said quietly. I felt Brian sigh.

“It doesn’t matter, Syd.”

“Of course it does. You shouldn’t have to hide, and I’m really tired of reading all of those magazine articles about how you ‘go through’ women,” I said, using air quotes.

“Don’t worry about me, little cousin,” Brian said and flicked the end of my nose. I tilted my head and stuck my tongue out at him.

“I’m going for a walk,” I said suddenly and stood up. I heard Brian mumble an “okay”, and I walked through the small door in the gate surrounding the backyard.

My toes sunk into the soft sand of the beach as I continued to walk to the water’s edge. I had only visited Brian a few times, and the beach still fascinated me. There was nothing else like feeling your toes sink into the sand while you watched the moon shine on the inky black water. No, nothing else like it.

”It’s so...;beautiful.”

”It’s okay. Maybe we should try surfing.”

”Can’t you sit back and enjoy the sights for once?”

”Where’s the fun in that?”

”For now, we’re watching. Maybe I’ll try surfing during daylight hours,” I said. Both voices went quiet, and I looked out at the ocean. There was a small breeze, and the lapping of the waves nearly lulled me to sleep.

“Umm...;Syd?” I turned my head and smiled shyly at the person standing next to me.

“Sorry, Jimmy. Did I space out?” I asked.

“Just a little,” he said and smiled at me. I let myself loosen up, and I turned back to the waves.

“I’m sorry for last night,” I said quietly.

“It’s okay. You didn’t hurt me,” Jimmy said. I had hurt some people though. Brian, Matt, and Nikki were still bruised.

“You probably weren’t close enough,” I said with a small laugh. I heard Jimmy make a small noise, and I turned my head to look at him. His hands were shoved deep in his pockets and he was looking down at his feet.

“Jimmy?” I asked.

“I was close enough, but you didn’t hurt me.” I felt confusion draw my eyebrows together as I tried to think of what he meant.

“I don’t get it,” I said finally.

“You called me Danny,” Jimmy whispered. I quickly turned my head and took a few steps to the side.

I called him Danny. Why would I call him that? Yes, I did blame myself for not being able to save him. My best wasn’t good enough, but I had accepted that and moved on. I liked to think that Danny was in a better place now, and not being forced to do something he no longer had the passion for. But why?

“Sydney?” Jimmy asked quietly from behind me.

“I’m. Sorry.” I felt Jimmy’s arms wrap around me, and he settled his chin on my shoulder. He took my hands in both of his and pulled my back against him.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it,” Jimmy whispered in my ear. I nodded my head and leaned more into him. Together we looked out over the waves, without saying another word.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one was a filler, but I liked it. It was...I don't know...sweet. I wonder what Brian's problem is though?

I've got a surprise in the next one XD