Status: completed

California Love A7X

The mysterious cousin

I laid awake. It was seven forty seven in the morning. I didn't sleep that well. Various reasons I suppose. Mainly for the fact I was to live with a cousin I'd never met. Which at this point I'd come to terms. I was ok with it. I would deal. After all it would be better than going back to Seattle. I just didn't see why I couldn't just stay in this house. I mean I'm already here. And so is my shit. I sighed and sat up. A shower sounded like a good thing to do at this time. I stepped into the hot water. Letting it soothe my muscles. I took my time. Washing my hair and body. When I got out I wiped the mirror clean. I looked at myself. My hair was tossled every which way. The lime green color vibrant against my naturally dark hair. I shrugged and went through my routine.

Mckenna: do you think you could make my hair purple?

I quickly turned to look at her. She surprised me. She giggled.

Mckenna: I didn't mean to scare you.

Melly: you just, yeah scared me. Umm yes I could make your hair purple. But I don't know how much your mom and dad would like that.

Mckenna: I've never asked them.

Melly: well when you get there permission I'll be honored to turn your hair purple.

She smiled widely.

Mckenna: are you going to come visit us when you live with my brother?

Melly: of course. So Mckenna tell me. What's your brother like?

Mckenna: hmmm...he's fun.

Melly: that's good.

Mckenna: he's funny too.

Melly: does he live around here?

Mckenna: yeah. In Huntington but in a bigger nicer house. I like to go there cause of the beach.

I nodded.

Suzy: Mckenna what did I tell you?

Mckenna stood up and left my room.

Suzy: sorry about that hun.

Melly: oh no its alright. I like talking to her.

Suzy: I can see you were bright and early to wake.

Melly: yeah.

Suzy: well feel free to explore the house. I'm gonna get started on breakfast. I'll let you know when its done.

Melly: ok.

She walked out. I gave it a minute or two before I followed. I decided against exploring and went straight to the kitchen.

Melly: is there anything I can help you with Suzy?

Suzy: oh no no no. You just take a seat.

Melly: you sure?

She nodded.

Suzy: yes honey, I'm sure just sit.

I did as told. I looked around the kitchen. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Suzy: so tell me Melly do you have a boyfriend.

Melly: no.

Suzy: by choice?

Melly: ehh not sure.

Suzy: well Brian has plenty of single friends. I'm sure there's at least one you'll like.

I scrunched my face.

Melly: yeah no disrespect but my Uncle's friends might be-

Suzy: no silly. Your cousin.

Melly: oh right. I keep forgetting.

Suzy: your Uncle told me you're a hair stylist.

I nodded, eyeing the waffles she was making.

Suzy: that's fun. Do you do your own hair?

Melly: yeah I do.

Suzy: you should do my hair.

Melly: sure. Mckenna asked me if I could color her hair purple.

Suzy: oh that girl. She knows she's not allowed to do that yet.

Melly: I figured. I told her I only would when she got your permission.

She smiled and place a plate of waffles infront of me.

Melly: thanks.

UB: good morning.

I smiled. He put an arm around my shoulder.

UB: sorry about the whole misunderstanding.

Melly: no worries Uncle. Its cool.

UB: If you two just don't get along then you can come back.

I nodded and smiled. I put my fork down.

Suzy: are you done?

Melly: oh yes.

Suzy: you only had one waffle.

Melly: I know. I'm just full is all.

I gave her a reassuring smile.

Melly: well I better go pack all my shit back up. Opps sorry. Shit. I mean crap. Ugh. Sorry.

They laughed a little.

Melly: sorry, I don't usually go this long without something like that slipping out of my mouth.

UB: its alright.

Melly: I'm just going to go get ready.

Suzy: just leave the dish. I'll clean it.

I gave a nod and walked to the room. Getting ready was fast. Loading up my shit was quick. The car ride was like the blink of an eye. I took a deep breath as I exited the car. Bigger and nicer seemed a bit of an understatment for his house. This cousin Brian of mine. Which if you asked me I really don't think exists. Obviously he does cause I'm standing in his drive way. Which had two BMWs. One blue the other black. Does he really need two? And a fuckin' custom made bike. I could tell it was custom made. Just by the stupid paint color. I was now curious as to what this guy does for a living. Kudos on the bike. Its a sign of coolness. Then I frowned realizing that he might have got it to seem cool. Great he's a computer nerd. Hence the reason for all the cars and big house.

UB: come on Melly, let's go introduce you.

I smiled.

Melly: sure.

I followed him up the path to the door way. A huge over the top cross was hanging in the middle of the door. I made a face. Maybe he was a religious freak. Oh great. Just what I need. Crazy bible camp kid. Not that its not cool or anything, just not my flavor of ice cream. I heard the door bell ring on the other side of the door. Barking followed. He's got a dog cool. Maybe he'll let me get one. He's got the room. All this for one guy. Rediculous. But hey I'd probley do it too if I had his money. The door opened and a small dog came running out. Jumping up and down excitedly. I bent down to pet the cutie.

Guy: Todd calm down. Hey dad.

UB: hey Brian.

My Uncle and cousin were talking but I paid no attention. I looked up slowly. No need in rushing. His leg had some tats on it. That's a good sign. My eyes darted up to his face but the sun caught my eye. After a second though he stepped in its way. My eyes went wide and I lost my balance. My butt hit the ground and I fell into the bushes next to the door. Did I really just see that face. I just laid there. I could hear them laughing a bit. I looked up. Holy fucking hot shit from a cow. His black hair was teased around every which way. His brown eyes matched my Uncle Brian's. His ink covered arms stood out against his black and white jersy. His dog came and licked my face.

Melly: what the fuck. This must be fake. Not real.

I whispered to myself.

UB: are you ok Melly?

Melly: uhhh...give me just a sec. Let me just clear my eyes. Ay Dioscito. Que pasa aqui?
(Oh Lord. What's going on?)

I opened and closed my eyes a few times before standing up. I brushed myself off. Took a deep breath while looking at the ground.

UB: are you alright?

He asked more seriously. I nodded.

Melly: uhh yeah I'm fine just, a little embarassed about falling is all.

I carefully looked up.

Brian: so who's this dad?

UB: this is Melly. Melly this is Brian.

There could be no way this guy is my cousin.

Brian: nice to meet you. Did you hire a babysitter for Mckenna or some shit?

I made a face. My Uncle laughed.

UB: no, this is your cou-

Melly: Syn Gates...you're Syn Gates. Synyster fucking Gates.

He smirked. A cocky one at that.

Brian: yes and you're Melly.

UB: she's your cousin.

Brian: cousin?

UB: yeah the one from Seattle who's going to live with you.

Brian: Seattle? Wait, did you say live with me?

Great he didn't even know. This is awkward. A chick who looked about my age came to the door. She had black hair with blonde bangs and blonde under layer. Her nose was pierced and she had some pretty grey blue eyes. She looked at him, then my uncle, and finally at me. Her eyes went wide and she looked back into the house.

Girl: oh Shit! Mr. Bee, you said you would call first. I'm not fully prepared for this. The house is in a pile of shit for a mess.

She flashed me a smile and looked back at my "cousin". My mind was running a billion miles a minute. Was this a joke? Why would they even pull a joke on me? Who is this bitch? Synyster Gates is NOT my cousin. This is a mistake. I got the wrong Uncle Brian.

Brian: what the fuck is going on here?

UB: didn't you tell him Jenn?

Jenn: tell him what?

I stood silently bewildered. She looked at Brian again. I noticed her eyes look beyond him. Her brows furrowed and she pointed at the cross on the door.

Jenn: Brian what the fuck is that shit?

He looked over his shoulder. He timidly looked back at her. His brown eyes looking as innocent as possible. I wondered what the hell was going on now.

Brian: a door...

He smiled like a child.

Jenn: don't be a smartass. I thought I told you not to put that stupid gotti cross up. It looks fucking rediculous!

He made a face.

Brian: its cool thank you very much.

She sighed frusterated. She pinched the bridge of her nose.

Jenn: fine! But guess what Brian.

Brian: what?

He asked with a triumphet smirk.

Jenn: your cousin from Seattle is moving in today.

She gave him a fake smile.

Brian: about that. Why did no one tell me?

Jenn: I was going to get to it eventually.

He rolled his eyes.

Jenn: stop being a bitch. We've got the room.

He pouted. She finally looked at me again with a smile.

Jenn: I would say sorry if it was the only time we argued like this is public, or not even in public with family, but its not.

I glanced quickly at my Uncle. He gave me a comfurting smile.

Jenn: so in simpler words and shit. Welcome to your new home bitch!

That's when I knew this could go one of two ways. Either horribly bad or horribly great.