Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Secrets Revealed

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

Hesitantly, I peer down at the issue of the Daily Prophet that Sophie has tossed me.

The headline reads:

NEW MAGICAL DEVELOPMENT

A six year, magical development has now been successfully completed. Unspeakables, working in the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic, have been working for some time on a form of magical abortion. Our very own, Rita Skeeter, sat down with one such Unspeakable to get the facts on this new spell.

"It's quite complex really," he said, a hint of malice in his tone, "You see, the spell doesn't kill the baby. It just transports it from woman to woman."

"And why would you want to do such a thing?" Rita asked him, innocent eyes grown wide at his morally incorrect behavior.

"Well, here's one example. Evelyn Zabini, a convicted Death Eater, age 16, was pregnant with a child. She, of course, is a murderous girl and was captured and sent to Azkaban. Her child can not help that she is a horrible person, not to mention that she would be a catastrophe of a mother. Therefore, Hector Higgins, a Ministry Official, used the spell to transport the baby from Evelyn to a more suitable mother. This way, the poor kid won't have to be born in Azkaban and be raised as a Death Eater."

"So let me get this straight," Rita asks politely, "Hector removed the baby from Ms. Zabini, for it's own good? This spell sent it to a new woman? You surely cannot expect a random woman to react well to suddenly becoming vastly pregnant."

"Of course not," the Unspeakable grins, "We have witches who cannot conceive children sign up for one. When we use this spell, the infant in question goes straight to the awaiting mother next on our list."

"So Evelyn Zabini's child is out there some where right now? Being raised by a woman from your list?"

"That's it in a nutshell," he grins.

Rita thanks him graciously for his time, and he goes back to work.

More about Zabini's child can be found on page 34.


My hands are trembling in anger; my fingers tearing the front page to shreds under their force. Some undeserving, filthy woman was out there raising my son. Oh wait until Draco hears about this. He'll kill her. My lips twist into an evil smirk at the thought of that.

I quickly flip to page 34.

ANCIENT SPELL RE-INVENTED

Unspeakables in the Department of Mysteries have found a remarkable spell from ancient, Egyptian times, and re-invented it to suit today's needs. The original spell was used to abort unwanted children from slave women. Now; however, it is being used to transport unborn infants from dangerous mothers so that they may live happy and stable lives.

The first successful case of this, was that of Evelyn Zabini.

Evelyn was taken to Azkaban for conspiring in the murder of Albus Dumbledore and being a loyal follower to You-Know-Who. Obviously, such a Dark Witch could not be a suitable mother. Her child would have grown up in a dangerous world, only to become evil himself.

Hector Higgins successfully performed the new spell on Evelyn, and her son was transported to Marsha Lecates. Marsha and her husband were incapable of conceiving a child. Therefore, she signed up to receive a child, if this new development worked.

Now, she and her husband are raising a healthy, platinum blonde boy, with striking green eyes. They say he is just a few weeks old, but already showing substantial magical talent. He is most likely, knowing his birth mother, a Pureblood. Marsha and her husband couldn't be prouder of their baby boy.

If you would like more information on how to apply for a child, please contact the fertility clinic at St. Mungo's.


I throw the paper down.

"So let me get this straight?!" I scream, not caring who hears. Besides, I'm sure the entire wizarding world knows of my misfortune by now. "My baby was taken from me and some disgusting woman is raising my son right now?"

"Yeah," Monty says coolly, "But isn't it better this way, I mean, considering his father and all..."

"Wait!" Marissa shouts, cutting him off. She scoops the paper up off of the floor, and immediately flips to the page I had been reading. Her eyes dart through the article at a rapid pace, before glancing up to me with an inquistive, if not hostile light in them.

"A boy with platinum blonde hair?" she asks me, sounding every bit the smug Slytherin.

I shrug off the question, avoiding her gaze.

"You have black hair, Evie. The Dark Lord had black hair when he was Tom Riddle. Your read parents both have black hair, and I highly doubt that his were any different. You highly underestimated genetics, didn't you?"

Sophie puts two and two together surprisingly quickly for her.

"That kid is Draco's son!" she accuses, pointing a shaky finger at me. Monty slaps her hand down.

"Evelyn, you shouldn't have done that," he lectures.

"Oh yeah, because I got knocked up on purpose," I half joke, only half.

Monty, as always, sees right through me
.
"You did get pregnant by Draco on purpose!" he hollers, "You wanted to have his kid instead of the Dark Lord's!"

"Do you really blame me?" I yell back, "It was the only thing I could think to do. There was no way in Hell that I was going to birth the spawn of that demon. And Draco and I had so much alone time when we were fixing the Vanishing Cabinet last year...it just seemed like a good idea. If I knew that I was pregnant when Voldemort held me captive, if such a light term can even be used for that torture, he couldn't truly harm me. I just wanted one piece of my life to be what I wanted and not what the Dark Lord demanded."

I hang my head in a mixture of exhaustion and shame. On one hand, it feels wonderful for someone besides Draco to finally know my secret. But on the other, I worry for my friends and for the future. If the Dark Lord finds out my secret, everyone who knows and doesn't report me will be killed.

"Don't worry, Evelyn," Marissa whispers, rubbing my back soothingly, "We won't tell a soul."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those who commented on the last few chapters! This one's for you!
Comments?
XoXo Kate