Draco Malfoy's Famous Last Words

Loyalties

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

We were late to Defense Against the Dark Arts. Not horribly late, mind you, just about five minutes. However, we had no idea who the new professor was and how they handled tardies.

You see, we've had a 'substitute' for the first month of school. Supposedly, the professor had some personal issues to sort out before starting his new job. And today, was the first day he was to teach.

We burst through the door and settle ourselves in pairs at the empty desks in the back. Monty and Sophie seated themselves together, of course, and Marissa and I slide into the other desk.

The professor is facing the board, with his back turned to us. After we are seated, he turns around swiftly.

"Who exactly feels the need to interrupt my class by arriving late?" he drawls menacingly.

I am too busy getting out my book to look up at him. However the moment I hear Sophie squeal, my head snaps up in attention.

"Carrow!" I yell in delight.

"Now, now, Ms. Zabini. I'm Professor Carrow in class," he corrects.

I am ecstatic. The Carrows are extremely close to my family. Well, that is to be expected, as they are Death Eaters. This has to be the best staffing decision ever made at Hogwarts.

"Professor Carrow?" Monty asks, "Why are you teaching DADA?"

"Well, Mr. Montague, if you would have arrived on time, you would know. The focus of this class is changing. Instead of dealing with defending, we are going to take a more offensive approach," he answers.

"What?!" Neville Longbottom shrieks, "Are you saying we're going to be learning the Dark Arts?"

"Fifteen points from Gryffindor, for the rude interruption. And yes, you shall be learning a bit of the Dark Arts. As I said, Mr. Longbottom, offense is a much more appropriate approach to protecting one's self."

I exchange a small smile with Marissa. This is going to be the easiest class ever for us. It's even better than when Severus taught Potions.

Not only do we already know all of the material, plus a few extra spells, but the Professor loves us. Yes, DADA is officially going to be a cake walk.

---

After a bit more of the customary introduction and rules, Professor Carrow begins with his unusual teaching methods.

"Ms. Zabini?"

I turn my attention to him. He motions for me to join him at the front of the class. Cautiously, I get out of my seat and walk down the aisle to join him. I can feel the eyes of my classmates burning into me as I approach the professor. I can hear them whisper things; different rumors they've heard, things written in the Daily Prophet. It is torture.

"Would you mind helping me in a demonstration?" he inquires.

"Not at all," I reply.

"Excellent. Now, I want you to think of any offensive spell that you know, and cast it on me. Pretend I am the enemy."

I nod in compliance.

"Whenever you're ready," Professor Carrow whispers.

I have to think for a second on what spell to cast. I know so many, and that makes it difficult to choose. Finally, one hits me. It is a spell that Severus had made so long ago, a spell that Harry used on Draco last year.

"Sectumsempra!" I yell, pointing my wand at Professor Carrow.

He skillfully avoids the spell, and his lips twist into a rather unpleasant grin.

"One hundred points to Slytherin! Well done, Ms. Zabini! The Sectumsempra curse, I'd have never expected such advanced magic from you. You may take your seat."

The Slytherin's hoot and clap at my work. The Gryffindors shoot me some death glares and just whisper about me some more. At least half of the class is on my side. The half that actually knows the truth about my life.

Professor Carrow goes into some more explanation of the curse I'd used. How it tears open the body with deep gashes. He also explains how if it isn't treated immediately with the proper antidotes, it can kill you, or at the very least, cause some nasty scars.

All in all, the class flies by in a blur. I have a free period after this, and plan going to use it to catch up on some much needed sleep. However, Neville Longbottom seems to have other plans for my time.

"Hey, Evelyn!" I hear him holler after me, once Monty, Sophie, and Marissa have left the classroom.

"Yes, Neville?" I ask, somewhat annoyed. I really want some sleep.

"I was wondering, how are you?"

I roll my eyes and cross my arms. Why does he insist on wasting my time?

"Well, I know it must have been tough for you, losing your baby and all. And then Draco being a murderer, and Blaise disappearing. Not to mention now that Harry's run off, and the whole school is gossiping about you."

"Do you have a point, Neville?" I groan.

"Well, I was hoping maybe, you needed some friends?"

"I have friends, Longbottom. Slytherin friends."

"I meant, your DA friends. You know, Dumbledore's Army and all. I figured that since Defense Against the Dark Arts is all Dark Arts now, maybe you would teach us defense again. I mean, you know all the Dark Magic, who could help us better than you?"

"I don't know, Neville," I start. I look over my shoulder, grateful to see that my three friends had gone on without me.

"But we need you!" he protests, "A lot of people want to start up Dumbledore's Army again. We need a teacher, and you're perfect. You did it before."

I consider this for a moment. On one hand, I am technically in the Order. Harry would want me to help out. Besides, Voldemort allowed it once, surely he won't mind this time.

On the other hand, I have a very important mission to do. I have to begin training with Severus tonight. My mission is to weaken the castle so the war could come here like Voldemort plans. It has to take top priority. I mean, obviously I'll be fighting on the Dark side. So why should I help the good guys?

Oh for Merlin's sake, what harm could it do?

"I'll make a deal with you, Neville," I state, "You get all the DA member's rounded up for me, and I'll teach them. However, we're only going to do this on the weekends and in the Room of Requirement. Okay?"

"Why only on the weekends?"

"Because it'll be easier to pass it off as a 'study group' or whatever then. And also, we can stay up later if we don't have class the next morning."

"Sure thing. I'll let you know after I talk to everyone," he says.

"Yeah, about that. I really don't think people should know we talk. It's really not safe for you or me."

Realization dawns on his face.

"Right. Sometimes I forget you have to pretend to be on the Dark side."

I nod and he leaves quickly with a small wave in my direction.

Right. I'm only "pretending" to be on the Dark side.

That's when it hits me. I'm so tangled up in loyalties, I could choose either side I want. I've just chosen the Dark side thus far on instinct. After all, evil is in my blood, my mother was a dark witch. Then again, my biological father was the patron of the Order, the man who made the ultimate sacrifice for his young son.

If I want to, I could join Harry, my true brother.

I, Evelyn Zabini, the Slytherin Princess, could be good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

XoXo Kate