‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 11.

I was being an ass and I knew it, but Icouldn't wouldn't make up with Caitlyn just yet. I was actually staying with Clover, and there was no way in hell I would give that up just yet. So I had picked a fight with Caitlyn. I wasn't even sure what she was screaming about anymore. I was just glad that I didn't have to go back. I fell back on the couch and nodded to things that she said, not that she could see me. After about an hour of being cussed she calmed down. Begging me to come back.

"No." I said simply. "We obviously have a lot to talk about before I even think about coming home. So don't worry. I have a place to stay and I'm extremely happy here. Bye."

I sat the phone on the table and ran my fingers through my hair. Talking to Caitlyn had exhausted me and I found myself struggling to stay up but I couldn't go to bed, not yet. I had so much I wanted to talk about with Clover, and I could handle a couple of hours. I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen area where Clover had been busying herself with unneeded chores. She sighed when she saw me and I felt a pang of guilt for doing this to her.

"You don't tell your fiancee you love her?" She asked drying a dish before placing it in the cabinet. "Call me crazy, but that doesn't sound right."

"Why lie?" I asked getting up to help her. "Caitlyn knew about me before we even got together."

Clover washed the plate and handed it to me for drying. "What do you mean she knew about you?"

"She knew the situation I was in, and that I would never truly love her with everything." I shrugged not wanting to tell Clover how pitiful I had been after I left her. How she would have been embarrassed to even have seen me during that time. "I really don't want to talk about that though."

She gave me a worried look and then put away the last dish. I went back into the guest room and grabbed some clean clothes. I needed a warm shower about now. I closed the door to the bathroom, not worrying about locking it. I stripped out of my clothes and turned the shower on. The warm water felt good against my skin. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind from everything that was happening. I was slowly loosing two people I cared for. Clover was getting married whether I liked it or not, and once Caitlyn knew I was here, she would surely leave. After washing my hair I got out and put the towel around my waist. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. I looked so much better now that I was clean. The door opened and Clover covered her eyes and began apologizing immediately.

"I'm wearing a towel Clover." I laughed. "Unless your embarrassed to see my chest? I can cover it up."

"Sorry." She sighed and a smile crept across her face. "I guess you're right. I'll go wait until you're done." She fumbled with the door knob for a couple of minutes before cursing herself. "Sorry." She said again, taking another attempt at the door. "Damn it." She yelled before dropping her hands at her sides.

"Are you okay?" I asked trying not to laugh.

She turned around to look at me. She had a few tears going down her cheeks and I wanted to hold her. Then out of nowhere she pressed her lips against mine. Her arms wrapped around my neck and pulled me closer to her. At first I stood there like a damn idiot, not sure how to respond, then I kissed her back. I ran my fingers through her hair and down her back. This was what I had been wanting for so long. I opened the door behind her and she wrapped her legs around my waist. I headed for our old room and my heart was pounding. Finally. I thought as we fell onto the bed.