‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 20.

I looked at the ring sparkling in the light. My mind was racing. Never had I felt so happy, and yet so dreading at the same exact time. “I will think about it.” His face fell but I looked at him and smiled and he smiled again. I would never be able to say no to him, and he knew it, but there where things that had to be sorted through first.

The morning brought me new found thoughts as I awoke to the light shining into my eyes. Ronnie had left hours earlier to go and find a place for Caitlyn to live, and I began to pack up some of my things. I placed some of my old pictures in the box and some of my clothes. This should be a relatively fast process. There came a loud noise and I shot up and peered into the living room and there stood Shauna, her eyes wild with anger. “Hey Shauna.” “Where is that fucking whore of a sister? I swear I will kick her ass, you finally are able to move on and she has to go back to being the same old Rider. I swear I will throat kick that bitch!” I laughed lightly and walked up and placed my arms around her. “I am not sure, her and Matt left last night, I haven’t seen them since. Ronnie stayed here last night. We are getting back together.” She smiled and patted my arm. “I knew this was going to happen one day. Just be careful.” I nodded and she threw her bags on the floor and dropped down on her knees. “So, what can I pack?” I shook my head. “You just took a thirteen hour flight the only thing you are doing is having a drink and taking a nap because I know you are scared of flying.” “Oh, and Shauna?” “Yeah?” “I lost my baby.” I said suddenly beginning to cry. “Oh baby doll, I think you need a drink too.”

The hours pass like minutes when you are not alone

“I have never been so drunk in my life” I giggled out before taking another drink from the bottle. “I don’t think I have either.” Shauna laughed before taking a drink of her own. The phone began to ring and I lunged at it. I fell from the couch onto the floor before grabbing it and opening it. “Hello?” I asked rubbing my head. I didn’t know the number so I thought it better not to assume it was Ronnie. “Hello? Is this Clover? I have a woman here named Elizabeth Caterine, she claims she is your cousin?” I nodded remembering when I was little Mazy was her nickname and we were pretty much inseparable. I had just seen her like two months ago. “Yes, she is. What can I do for you?” “Well, she has asked for you to take sole custody of her daughter Katie. She has cancer and has only six days or so left to live.” “Oh, uh yeah of course. And how is she?” “She is not doing well, she is in a medically induced coma and will be lucky to survive that.” I nodded and shook my head. “Yeah, uh, when do you need me?” “Well, we need you down here today to sign papers and then you can take her home.” I hung up the phone and dialed Ronnie’s number, but there was no answer. I groaned and dialed the only person I knew was at home alone and sober enough to drive. “Hello?” “Max? I need you to take me somewhere.”

Write our names in blood, we’ll be just fine

Max and I pulled up to the office and I stumbled out of the car and into the office. I had drank like 20 cups of coffee and was sober enough to pass as a sober being. I went through the motions like a robot and signed the papers before leading Katie back to the car. The poor little five year old looked up at me, her eyes wide with fear and her black hair matted. “It will be okay. I promise.” She nodded and I got into the car. “Katie, this is Uncle Max.” I emphasized the word ‘uncle.’ She nodded and waved. My phone rand suddenly and I picked it up. “Hey, you called?” “Hey Ronnie, yeah I am with Max.” “Doing what?” His voice was sharp and accusatory. “Picking up yours and my new daughter.” There was silence on the other end and I sighed. “Excuse me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it is so short.
So I think I am going to have a lyric contest in like every chapter lol.
Here is the next one.
MESSAGE ME YOUR ANSWERS, SO I CAN ACTUALLY KNOW WHO THE WINNER IS!
Here you go:
can we give it one more shot, have we thrown all hope away,
does it have to be this painful just to make it through?