Bend Me Over Backwards

The History

Gerard’s POV

I awoke the next day to the light shining in my eyes. My back didn’t hurt and I wasn’t shivering. Where am I? I attempted to sit up, but an arm that was wrapped snuggly around my waist kept me down. I looked to my right and saw Frank sleeping form. He was my savior. Despite him being much younger than me he was my hero.

All my life I’d been kicked around. Well, ever since I was left at D’oro. Before living in that dreaded restaurant I had lived with my mother and my brother Michael. He was still very young when my mother left me. She couldn’t take care of the both of us any longer. The last day I spent with my true family was tough, but it had to be done.

We had spent the day at the park and played around. Mikey followed me around trying to imitate me. I loved my brother. That night we went to D’oro for dinner. How my mother could afford it I didn’t know. Mikey was happily eating spaghetti (a real treat for him) and my mother kept looking around warily. I was ready to leave.

We had finished our meal and my mother paid. She stood up and took Mikey by the hand. They began to walk outside and I followed closely behind. My mother was silently getting ready to leave me, her oldest child, behind. Outside of the eatery she led us to an alley way. My mother reached into her bag and pulled out a light blue pillow and pink blanket.

She bent down to my level and cupped my face. “Gerard, my child, I want you to take these.” She handed me the pillow and blanket. “You’re going to have to be strong for Mama. I don’t want to leave you, but what has to be done has to be done.” Tears were streaming down her face. Mikey tugged on her sleeve.

“Mommy, why are you crying?” He received no answer and looked to me. “Gee, what’s wrong with Mommy?”

I looked down at my little brother. How was he supposed to cope with this? I walked toward my little brother with sadness. “Mikey, this going to sound sad, but I need you to take care of Mommy. I need you to grow big and strong for her. Become the smartest you can be and make sure Mommy is always okay.”

Mikey then began to cry. I knew he could tell what was happening. He attached himself to my leg and started sobbing. “No Gee! No, no, no, no, NO!” He thrashed his head on my leg.

“Mikey, please be reasonable with me. I need you to be good for me and for Mommy okay? I need you to be good.” I started to cry myself. I didn’t want to leave my brother and mother, but what could we do? We were struggling enough as it was. We’d been leaving in alleys and dark walkways since we didn’t have the cash to rent a place. I couldn’t get a job and my mother earned her pay by whoring herself out to any man who would pay. I didn’t want her to go through that.

Mikey separated himself from my leg and wiped his eyes. “I’ll be good Gee just you wait. I’ll come back one day with Mommy and be big and strong just like you told me to be. Then you can live with me and Mommy forever.”

My mother stood up and patted my shoulder. “Gerard, be good. If things get better I will come back for you. I promise. Just remember to never let them get you down. Bye Gerard.” My mother kissed my cheek and took my little brother by the hand.

“Gee, I’m gonna miss you! I’ll take good care of Mommy! I’ll come back just you wait!” Mikey waved toward me and soon both my mother and brother were gone. I walked to the end of the alley way and tried to see where they went, but by then they were truly gone. I was alone in the world. I had no other place but D’oro.

I walked toward a backdoor that opened up and walked inside. I was in the kitchen of the restaurant. People were hurrying about carrying dishes. “Boy! What are you doing here?” a large bald man asked.

“I’m a-alone,” I managed to say.

“You are to start now. I’ll take you to your quarters. You shall work for your stay.”

I nodded and followed.
♠ ♠ ♠
*sniffs* Hey everyone! This chapter is making me tear up a bit. Now you all know Gerard's back story and how he ended up at D'oro. Next chapter will be in Frank's POV. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Comment for Gerard!

Love and Doodles,

Tara