Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Vans

“Hey, get up sleepy head.”

I prodded Nyx with my pencil. She groaned in reply. I smirked when I saw Edward tense.

“Class is nearly over.”

“Bleh.”

I sighed, staring at the black board. Ms. Bilson explained about different math formulas but I couldn’t concentrate. I couldn’t think of anything except for Kieran and Jake. Why was this happening?

“Alright for homework, I want you to complete questions 1 to 20 on your handout.” directed Ms. Bilson, the bell rung. “I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

Everyone rushed out as Ms. Bilson went into her little office. Lynne hurried to her next class, not wanting to be late. She whispered quick farewells to both Nyx and I. Emmett nodded his head at Edward, giving me a small wave of acknowledgement and followed Lynne out.

Edward packed up his things at a normal pace, swinging his bag over his shoulder with ease. He gave me a smile, quickly glancing at Nyx. I gave a small smirk, letting a small chuckle escape my lips. Edward looked at me with a confound expression.

I pointed at him, created a heart with my hands and pointed at Nyx. I continued to smirk at him. He merely shook his head, rolled his eyes and waved me off. Edward smoothly walked out of the room.

Speaking of Nyx, she dug her head into her arms on the desk. I let out a deep breath, slightly shaking her. Why was she so tired?

“Nyx. Nyx come on. Class is over.” I said.

“I don’t wanna get up.” complained Nyx.

“It’s lunch; you can go sleep at home or something.” I told her.

She grudgingly sat up, shoving her notebook into her bag.

“You drive?”

I shook my head, “Can’t. I have to stay.”

“Mr. Vans right?” she asked.

I nodded.

I had told Nyx what had happened as soon as we reached our English class. Her now sullen mood was caused by me in a sense. She searched her brain, trying to think of explanations and reason. In fact, I think she was using her Necromancy powers to check in and see if she could conclude on something.

Nyx stood up, rubbing her eyes. We walked out of the classroom.

“I’m going to go to work then.” said Nyx, yawning. “Can you hitch a ride with Trista or Kyle? They both have seventh period study hall.”

I shrugged, “It’s fine. I’ll handle it.”

Nyx nodded sleepily. The two of us had reached the end hallway.

“I’ll see you soon.” She said, walking out of the school.

I waved before heading off to the café. I figured I might as well eat something before I starve. Not to mention, I should go feeding soon. Otherwise, I might not be able to control the hunger in Victoria’s venom.

I entered the café, lining up at the back to wait my turn to get food. I did not really care about fancy foods or “fat” foods. It was unhealthy to constantly worry or think about your weight and your body. As long as you eat right and in moderation, it’s fine.

I sound like a cheesy commercial.

“Anything you want in particular sweetheart?” asked the lunch lady nicely.

“Anything is fine.” I replied.

She gave me a warm smile, getting a box of fries and a small bowl of fruits. I handed her my money and I took my food.

The cafeteria was nearly full and students were chattering everywhere. I scanned the room, trying to find a good place to sit. Not that I had to worry about because in a split second, I found myself being dragged across the room by Alice’s petite self.

“Uh… Alice?” I began, “What are you doing?”

“You’re sitting with us.” She said firmly.

I staggered, trying to balance my food tray. Alice pulled me along, pushing me into the seat beside Jasper. I felt my food bounce on the tray. I stared at Alice who sat herself on the other side of me. She noticed my stare a couple of seconds later.

“What?”

I blinked a couple of times.

“Was a simple ‘you’re sitting with us’ not have sufficed?” I asked.

Alice shrugged happily and began to chatter away to us all. Everyone humored her remarks and her words but it was evident their minds were elsewhere. Edward gave me an apologetic glance. I smirked at him. He rolled his eyes, hugging Bella closer to him.

Bella did not miss this exchange. She was confused. I gave a quick glance at Edward’s direction and mouthed ‘Whipped’. She blushed a furious shade of scarlet, letting out a small giggle.

I don’t know why no one seems it’s strange that Edward was suddenly so kind towards me. Did he tell them about what happened? Or maybe they realized he never had a problem with me. After all, we never spoke. It was always a chaotic clash between Edward and Nyx.

Perhaps that’s why.

Lunch was over. No one except Bella and I ate. Although that was expected due to their special circumstance. I was about to take up Alice’s offer to go to the mall before I remembered I had to go to Mr. Vans.

All of them gave me apprehensive glances, looking uneasy. I couldn’t decipher anything except they all were nervous. Even Jasper. They were on edge. They were reluctant to let me go. I had to shake them off to get to the session.

I opened the door of the classroom. It was empty. I walked in towards the front row seats, dumping my bag by my feet. I pulled out my binder for the class. The clock ticked loudly in my ears.

“You’re here.”

I nearly jumped at the sound of his voice. Mr. Vans was right behind me, holding back a laugh that wanted to escape. He headed over to his desk in front of me, placing the pile of books onto the table.

“So Kari, how was lunch?” asked Mr. Vans, “Did you feed yet?”

‘Feed?!’

I swallowed the small lump in my throat, suppressing the panic inside.

“Yeah, lunch was great.” I replied quietly.

He eyed me, “Good. Girls your age worry too much about their weight and how they look.”

I nodded, trying to give him a small smile.

“Alright, do you mind taking a small quiz? I want to know your perspective on mythological creatures.” asked Mr. Vans.

I gave him a shrug. He handed me a sheet of paper and told me to take my time.

I looked down at the first question.

‘Describe the physical appearance of a gifted vampire.’

‘What?’

My eyes skimmed down the page.

‘Name more than one physical characteristic of a blood thirsty vampire.’

‘Explain the dangers of newborn vampires.’

‘Compare the similarities and differences of werewolf and vampire relations.’

I froze.

It was almost as if ice was piercing my lungs. What were these questions? Nothing in the textbook was this descriptive on vampires. In fact, I didn’t realize mythical creatures meant vampires. These were direct questions, not opinionated inquiries.

I looked up at Mr. Vans, who was interestingly watching me. I swallowed the growing lump in my throat.

“I um…” I hesitated.

“Yes Kari?”

I cleared my throat, trying to speak again.

“I don’t know how to answer this.” I said.

A cold feeling went through me. But as soon as it came, it went. Mr. Vans gave me a mocking smile. What was going on?

“You’re lying.”

I felt my jaw drop slightly.

“You know these answers.” He said, “Why don’t you tell me?”

“What?” I whispered in shock.

Mr. Vans stood up, eyeing me. He sighed.

“Maybe the reason why is you haven’t fed yet.”

I piped up, “What? I ate at lunch.”

He looked at me pointedly, “Stop trying to kid me. It’s not working.”

Mr. Vans walked up towards me, staring me down. I slightly gripped onto my pencil, biting my lip. He looked me directly into my eyes, narrowing his.

“You should have fed.” He said simply, “Control is essential.”

‘Control?’

“Now, I don’t know what you are exactly Kari but I do know this. In your veins run a clashing mix of cremated regal venom and a strong new gifted venom.” said Mr. Vans, “The problem is with the way things are going, the new venom might overtake the regal one rather then merge.”

“What?” I asked once more.

He sighed, running his hand through his hair.

“You might loose control.” He spoke, “The new venom requires you to feed on a daily basis. Once every other day. Luckily you don’t need more than a small sip.”

“I do not understand what you are saying.” I said firmly.

Mr. Vans groaned, “Stop that.”

“Stop what?”

“Stop pretending like you don’t know.” said Mr. Vans, “I know you are a half breed vampire Katrina. I know virtually everything about you, so stop.”

I was taken back, fury grew within me.

“Everything about me?!”

He looked at me.

“Do you not remember? Look at me.” He said, “Imagine my hair and my eyes were brown instead. Look and try to remember.”

I stared. I used my mind to visualize and alter his appearance. Silvery white hair became a chestnut brown, his topaz eyes became a hazel brown. Shock and disbelief went through me.

“What the hell?!” I flipped out. I turned over the desk, slamming the chair against the wall. “Are you kidding me? Tell me. Is it fun to torture me?” I fumed, “You are not Bison! Shut up!”

Topaz eyes refused to back down.

“You’re a sadistic vampire you know that?” I seethed, “I know for a fact that he is gone.”

I grabbed my bag and sped to the door. In a flash he was in front of me, blocking my way.

“Took you long enough to realize it.” He chuckled. I glared. He’s happy demeanor disappeared to one of desperation, “Please understand. I am Bison.”

“Bison got killed.”

He shook his head, “The vampire that killed your father, killed me first. He came to my home and used his gift to search my mind. Then he left one of vampires in his coven to kill me. But that vampire was new at killing. He drank my blood; however he didn’t realize he transferred his venom into me.”

“You know… The more you go on with these lies,” I breathed, “the less likely I’ll resist the urge to rip your throat out and give it to newborns.”

“Please”Bison Mr. Vans pleaded, “I was your father’s best man. Please understand. You are like my daughter. You have to believe I am who I am.”

I spat at his face.

“I’ll prove it to you.” He said, “When you were three, I took you to the new Carnival. Your father had to fly to Japan to take care of some business. I bought you blue cotton candy. We went to some booths and played a couple of games.”

“That proves nothing.”

“Wait, let me continue. I won a shooting game. I got you a stuffed purple dog that you carried around for years.” He continued, “When your father came back, he asked you what you had named her. You replied that it was a him, not a her and his name was Ellibi.”

A familiar purple dog popped into my head.

“Cause it was a little piece of your father and I together. Elli from Elliot, your father’s middle name and bi, from Bison.”

I began to calm down.

“Do you believe me now?” he asked.

I nodded hesitantly, breathing hard. I didn’t know what to say. Bison led me to a seat. He fixed the desk I turned over and fixed the chair.

“But what-” I began, breaking the tensing silence, “What do you mean when you said you knew virtually everything about me?”

Bison paused, thinking his words carefully.

The door opened. A familiar blond walked in. Wait… He’s that guy who Carlie was obsessed with. I quickly glanced back and forth between Bison and Van.

“Hey, what’s up Kari?” asked Van.

Bison looked up, walking over to Van. They shared a man hug.

“You know each other?” asked Bison.

Van nodded, “Yeah. I met her when I went to American Apparel.”

“Wait, how do you know each other?” I questioned.

Something felt off. They were hiding something from me.

“Well Kari, Van is my…” Bison trailed off.

“You could say son.” continued Van.

“What?” I gasped.

Bison rubbed the back of his head, “Van was bitten by the same vampire that bit me. It was a newborn. It was surprising that I had control and he didn’t. I killed him and I knew Van wouldn’t be able to survive it alone, so I took him as my own.”

“Like a coven?”

Van nodded, “Yeah a bunch of other guys are in it too.”

‘A bunch?!’

They saw my panicked face and quickly recovered, “Don’t worry. We’re like you. Feed from animals.”

“So um,” I cleared my throat, “How many more?”

“About the same as the Cullens.” Van tapped his chin, mentally counting, “Including us there would be seven?”

“We met two of them in France, two of them in Quebec and one in Alaska.” Bison concluded.

“Kieran right? From that village?” asked Van.

Bison nodded.

‘A village in Alaska… Are you kidding me?’

I began to feel unnerved. Van looked at me, concerned and perplexed.

“Hey, are you alright?”

I controlled my breathing to speak a comprehendible sentence.

“The one you found in Alaska is named Kieran?”

Black spots flashed in front of my eyes.

“Yep.” Van nodded, “The village burned down.”

His silhouette became blurred. Anxiety filled me to the core. The monster gnawed for her chance to escape. But I wouldn’t give in, not yet.

I dashed out of the area, towards the mountains. I ignored the stabbing pain from branches slashing at my skin. A little badger came into my sight. I jumped at it. I sank my teeth into the furry creature, taking out its blood. I discarded its body.

The nervousness I felt had calmed down a tad bit. That wasn’t enough though. I could feel it creeping up my spine, terrorizing my own gift as an Empath. I climbed up the mountain, reaching to a cave that seemed to be uninhabited.

I bashed my fist into the cavern walls, trying to rid myself of my anxiety. I turned around, slamming my back onto the wall. I slid down to the ground, cradling my head into my arms.

A warm substance trickled down my face. It was red from my arms. It mixed into the tears, dropping down to the ground as one mess. I let a scream erupt from my throat.

I did not notice a nearing presence until they stepped into the cave. I could not rely on my eye sight as it was clouded. I recognized the warm familiarity of the person. They were reluctant but eventually they did come near me.

They wrapped their slightly bulky arms around my form, rubbing against my wounds. Electric shocks went up my spine, easing my panic. I began to calm down. The person sat down beside me, cradling my form into theirs.

I sat there in their embrace for what seemed like an eternity. I blinked several times, trying to regain my vision. I looked up. Jacob had his eyes closed but his arms were firmly wrapped around me.

I followed in suit and closed my eyes as well. Listening to his steady heart beat and letting his heat comfortingly soothing my worries.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bison[Mr. Vans and Van! Yay Final Fantasy. =3

Uh... First thing before I forget, I thank the commentors, especially if they have suggestions that I should fix [cough~Rabbit~cough] because I am quite incompetent on several subjects in the world. =3 It saves me from being more loser sounding in the future.
Um... Second thing... Well I don't have a second thing. So I'll say thankies and bid adieu.