Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Forewarnings

“She’s fine.” A husky male voice said.

“Jake, give her a break. It’s not her fault.” said a familiar female.

“Just because it wasn’t intended, it doesn’t mean it won’t happen.” replied Jacob.

“Jake, Alice says she and Nyx saves us.”

“But what if she’s the reason you’re in that?” shot Jacob.

“Are you stupid?!” shouted the girl, “Have you forgotten she risked her life for me the last week? She fought a battle that she wasn’t even involved in for me!”

“Am I the only one who remembers she attacked you the next day?”

Not her fault” the girl growled, other shouts of protest were heard over the phone.

A shuffling sound was heard. A new male voice entered.

“Do I need to remind you that you’ve helped place Bella in that predicament multiple times in the past? And every time she stood up for you.”

“And I’m proving it right now that I can be who she stood up for.”

“That is hypocritical. She protected Bella on an instinct. She didn’t even know her well. She had already proved herself to all of us. And you of all people knew how I felt about them when they first arrived.”

“Yeah, nothing. Put Bella back on.”

“No! I was scared. But they are strong and they are on our side.”

“Put Bella back on.” Jacob gritted his jaw.

A shuffling came over.

“Jake you’re an idiot. Make sure she is fine. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Bella-”

Bella hung up on Jacob.

I heard Jacob walk back over to me. He picked up my body gently, letting it rest against him again. He stroked my hair, unaware I was awake and had heard a portion of the conversation. Jacob’s actions were contrary of his thoughts. Whether it was based on his feelings or just a habit, I did not care. I wanted to stay there in that spot because he acted like he cared about me. But I knew I had to get up soon. In fact, I have to get up in a second.

I heard Jacob’s breathing become more shallow and light. I could feel him falling asleep. Within the next couple of minutes, he had fallen asleep again. I had to go now before he wakes up and I’d have to face him.

I removed his arms around me, using quite a bit of effort. I placed his arms beside his body softly, ensuring that I did not wake him up. I flipped my body up, landing soundlessly. Jacob began to stir. I could see his eyes go from misty to clear.
I bailed.

I reached the end of the forest by the road. I followed the road, walking towards the mall. My body felt considerably lighter. The sun was setting already. I did not realize I had left my bag at school.

I flipped open my Blackberry. There were several missed calls, texts and voicemails left by Nyx, Trista, Kyle, Ralph and everyone who I worked with as well as Bella and the Cullens. Although the Cullens stopped awhile ago.

6:03

The mall closed at 9. I figured I could at least help close up the stores. I sped up, going quicker. Within a half hour, I had reached my destination.

The mall doors slid open. I waited for a small family of five shuffled out as I held the door. The mother wearily smiled in appreciation, urging her children to be quick. The father held the packages in his arms, nodding my way.

I closed the door behind me, heading towards American Apparel. A sense of comfort arrived. I wrapped my arms around my body and entered the store. Carlie and Jacky greeted me with hugs, endlessly battering about random things. Michelle smiled at me before pulling Isaac away from flirting with a couple of girls. Or as Isaac says…

“I’m sharing the love!” Isaac shouted at Michelle.

“Kari!” Kyle called me over. He opened the cash register and started counting today’s profits, “Where were you? I thought Trista and I were going to pick you up?”

“Oh uh,” I quickly thought of an excuse, “I decided to go home first. I felt like walking.”

Kyle enveloped me into a one arm hug, “Tell someone next time alright? We were worried.”

He handed me half of the earnings and we sorted it out together.

“Jacky?! Is Kari here yet?” Stella walked into the store. She spotted me at the cashier, “Kari! Don’t you leave all alone like that again!” she scolded.

“Sorry” I replied bashfully.

After half an hour, the mall was virtually empty. Excluding Nyx and I, everyone had gone home. Stella and Jacky instructed the two of us to lock up the stores and get our asses home and in bed right after. They gave us no choice but to comply with their orders.

Nyx slammed the door shut, locking it while I unfolded the doors in front of American Apparel. She walked over, helping me unfold before I too locked up the store. I slid the key into my pocket after testing it quickly if the door was firmly shut.

The midnight janitors bid us goodbye when we headed out. They were nice people. When we walked out into the parking lot, only the dim light street lights gave sound. That is until two familiar faces headed our way. Familiar to me at least but I do not want to see them. At least not right now, at this moment. It was too early, too fast.

Nyx stopped in her tracks, turning away from the Spider and faced the approaching two. She looked at me curiously, wondering why my professor was here. Bison and Van reached us in a matter of seconds. Van outstretched his arm towards me, holding out my bag.

“You forgot this.” said Van with a smirk.

I took it wordlessly, swinging it over my shoulder.

“Wait, wait!” called Nyx, grabbing my arm to prevent my escape into the Spider. “Who and why are you here?”

“I’m Bison Vans” introduced Bison, “This is Van. I’m Kari’s teacher and her father’s best friend. Van is, in a sense my son.” His topaz eyes twinkled, much like Professor Dumbledore’s from Harry Potter.

Nyx caught on the situation quickly.

“You’re both vampires? In the same coven?”

Both of them nodded.

“Then why did I not notice you two?”

“There’s more.” I whispered to her, “There’s five more. They’re in my class.”

Nyx became alarmed.

“Why are you here?” she repeated with a growl.

“We were always here.” replied Van with a haughty smirk, “You never picked up on it.”

Nyx glared furiously at Van. He was riling her up almost as if he was channeling Edward.

Bison let out an irritated sigh, “Van, cool it.”

Van merely continued his smirk.

“Don’t listen to Van” said Bison, earning a shout of protest from Van, “We weren’t always here. Honestly, we’ve been following you.”

Nyx quickly interjected, “Why? Why would you do that?”

“I told you. I’m Kari’s father’s best friend. I’m also her godfather. I wanted to protect her after the government shipped her off to Alaska.” explained Bison calmly, unphased with Nyx’s outburst, probably the result of dealing with Van and Kieran for all these years. “I didn’t want to frighten her or anything. I searched around the world and I found Van and a couple others that were turned. I didn’t want them to become savage beasts and regret their actions.”

“Then why?” asked Nyx, “Why after all this time did you decide to tell her, to show her who you were?”

“Timing.” replied Bison.

“Situations like ours have no perfect time.” snarled Nyx.

Solemnly Bison nodded, “I know. But I couldn’t bring myself to. Especially after I found Kieran. I knew it was going to be hard for her if she met him again.”

“Why?” I asked, “Why would it be? I would be ecstatic to have known he was here.”

Bison looked at me, “His memories as a human seem to have dissipated. He has no recollection of anything prior to the accident. The only reason he knew his name was because during the accident, someone shouted his name. A little blonde girl that tried to save him.”

“Wouldn’t he have recognized me then?” I asked.

“He did. Today. He went into a small panic attack because he remembered many things,
too many in fact.” said Bison, “I was careful when I was following you both. I didn’t want to trigger something in Kieran. He was a fragile newborn. When we had to go feed, he would freak out. I did not want him or you to end up in danger.”

Bison paused briefly, waiting to see if he was going to be interrupted. Surprisingly, Nyx remained quiet. Except she shot dirty glares at Van every time he decided to flash a smirk. I did not get it. Van was nervous. In that giddy type of way.

“I was extremely thankful when your mother and Nyx showed up.” said Bison, “You had someone to care for and someone that cared for you.”

“How come we never noticed your presence?” asked Nyx.

“Because I’m a shield except my gift includes the ability to shadow people. Meaning I can protect and hide them. I’m special.” Van replied cockily.

Nyx returned Van’s smile with a glare. Fury seemed to pile up within her.

“You evaded my question.” Nyx said accusingly.

Bison was curious, “Oh. Which one?”

“Why did you tell us who you were now?” asked Nyx.

“Something is coming.” piped Van.

“What do you mean by something?”

“War.” replied Bison, “Conflict. A battle of sorts. More than one battle is to be fought. And it’s coming soon.”

“Who?” I asked.

“Different vampires.” answered Bison, “Newborns, royalty, Elders, shape shifters, werewolves and if it may come to it, humans and the ancients.”

Nyx glowered, “What are you saying? This is not a game. There will not be another battle of the damned. That ended when…” She trailed off, unable to speak of her past.

“Your parents?” Nyx’s eyes flashed, Bison gave her a warm smile, “I’ve encountered Vladimir, Stefan, Vlad and Victor… I’ve spent nearly a half a century studying from them. Your parents were amazing from what I know. Your father sacrificed himself to end it.”

“Its over.” said Nyx conclusively. She crossed her arms.

“It’s not.” Bison shook his head, “Anger and hate in the most tradition based vampires were pent up and as the generations passed and new brethren were formed, it only grew. None of them are willing to let go.”

Nyx shook her head, refusing to believe it, “That’s not true. I’m dead. Technically I do not exist. I was killed in the war.”

“But brought back to life by the goddess of the Night herself. Twice.” whispered Bison, “Nyx is fond of you Ashnyx.”

‘She was reincarnated because of Nyx?’

“No they do not know. Nor will they know if you stay here. You’re safe here in Forks.” continued Bison, “However they are scouring each continent, country and place for werewolves or even dog, wolf shape shifters. They are going on a killing spree. And if even one single being denies them, they too would be subjected to the genocide. In the most drastic cases, those who refuse to take any action might be slaughtered as well.”

“You have no proof of that.” said Nyx defiantly; her voice was reduced to nothing but a murmur.

This was her fear. Her one fear I knew that ate at her. Sometimes at night I would hear her muffled tears as her dreams replayed the events of the World War.

“I do.” replied Bison whose face showed nothing more to wish what he spoke was a lie, “I made several contacts over the world when I was looking for Kari. They have tried to keep the newborn population down but it’s rising. Drastically. All so the Elders would have a bigger army of recruits.”

Nyx let out a growl accidentally.

“The few newborns that contained their thirst have turned to my friends for help. They told them what was going on. This information was relayed back to me.”

Nyx had balled her hands into fists. I placed my hand on top of hers, caressing it to calm her down. Nyx looked down at the ground, suppressing the urge to run off like I had done not many hours ago.

“What about the Cullens?” I asked, “Do they know?”

Bison shook his head, “I have yet to contact Carlisle. I did not have any reason to contact him or his family. Until of course, I found out about this last month.”

“And when are they planning to attack and begin the hunt?” Nyx’s voice quivered.

Bison hesitantly gazed at Nyx before uttering two single syllables.

“New Years.”

“And you’ve put this off for a month?!” shouted Nyx furiously, “Do you know how much time we’re wasting?!”

Bison looked at her sternly, “Calm down.”

“I will not!” retorted Nyx, “Do you know that everyone here is at stake?”

“We’re safer than most.” replied Van, “I’m shadowing you Nyx.”

‘They are scouring each continent, country for werewolves or even dog, wolf shape shifters. They are going on a killing spree.’

Bison’s words echoed in my head.

‘Shape shifters.’

‘Shape shifters.’


“Are you stupid?” I asked in such a poisonous tone I did not know I possessed, “We’re not safe. We’re the farthest from safe.”

“How’s that Kari?” asked Van derisively, crossing his arms.

“La Push is the home of wolf shape shifters. The Quileutes live in La Push.” My voice trembled; I do not want them to die. I didn’t want Embry, Quil, Seth, Emily, Jacob and all of them to die. “Several different Vampire covens know of their existence. It will be inevitable that they too will be targeted.”

“What do you propose we do then?” Van asked Bison.

Why were they acting as if this was a normal dinner conversation topic?

“I don’t know about you” Nyx said scathingly, “But we’re going to the Cullens and down to La Push. Enough time has been wasted.”

Nyx grabbed my hand, ripped my bag from me and dumped it into the back of the Spider. She went over to the driver’s seat and before another second had past, she rushed out of the parking lot. We were at the Cullens’ in less than five seconds. Nyx had speeded so quickly, the road behind us steamed from the friction left by the tires.

Nyx nearly jumped out of the Spider and went right up to the door step. Her hand was pounding the door with such power, I was surprised it didn’t crumble right there. Just as her fist was about to contact the door again, it swung open. Her fist hit Edward’s chest while her entire body fell from the lack of support given to her by the door. The two landed onto the floor almost painfully.

She quickly recovered, rolled off of Edward’s body, grabbed Bella’s hand and headed towards the living room, calling everyone in. No one but Edward and I stood in the hallway. I extended my arm to help him up, in which he took.

“What’s wrong with her?” Edward joked, messaging the spot Nyx had hit.

I did not even smile, “That’s not funny.”

Edward’s concern was shown on his features; he stroked my hair out of my face, “What’s wrong?”

“We’re going to be at war.” I spoke.

Edward’s body ceased all movement, his muscles tensed.

“When?” he managed to say.

“New Years.” I replied in the same undertone.

“KARI! CULLEN! GET YOUR ARSE OVER HERE.” commanded Nyx, “NOW.”

Edward grabbed my arm and led me swiftly into the living room
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashnyx

Um... Special week this week. Full of fireworks. To everyone in Canada, Happy Canada/Dominion Day!! [shh, pretend it was four days ago when I wrote that] and to everyone in US, Happy 4th of July! or Independence day! Whichever. And if you want to go celebrate even though it has absolutely nothing to do with you... Yay you!