Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Disagreements

“Shower.” I instructed, throwing the Spider keys on the coffee table, “Then get some sleep.”

“But we have school-”

“No.” I said firmly, “I’ll call in sick for you. I’ll go by myself and be back at lunch.”

“Kari-”

“Just do it Nyx.” I said.

Nyx nodded her head, tiresomely going up the stairs. Usually the roles were reversed. She would be the thoughtful, dominate one who took care of me. It’s about time I returned the favor.

I went up the stairs as well. I could hear the running water and the shuffling sound of Nyx in the bathroom. I entered my own washroom linked to my room and cleaned up. Perks of being partially immortal included never having to bother too much with how I looked. I took a quick shower, brushed my hair and teeth, and threw on a pair of clothes.

My school bag was still in the Spider. I didn’t do the homework but I’m pretty sure I can finish it quickly. I’m not looking forward to dealing with Bison and Kieran but hopefully it’ll be alright. I grabbed the car keys off the table, slipping on Nyx’s shoes.

“Nyx!” I called out by her bedroom door, “I’m going now. Rest alright?”

A muffled reply came through the door followed by a “thanks!”

I turned on the engine of the Spider. I was on the road in seconds, arriving at the school after 15 minutes. I seemed to be earlier than expected. The school front was virtually empty. I flipped open my Blackberry; it was 8. There was still a half hour until school began. I ventured into the school after ensuring the Spider was locked.

I pushed open the school doors with my bag slung over my shoulders. I headed into the office, forging a note from Carlisle saying Nyx was to be excused from her classes. The secretary gave me a smile. I left the office soon after. I figured I should go to class, Bison’s class to make some sense out of our situation. The corridor was virtually empty allowing me to make my way easily to the classroom.

In a few seconds, I arrived at the door. I pushed it open but it seemed no one was there. I dumped my bag beside my desk. What should I do while I waited? Was Bison even here early? I always came right before the bell so I did not know how any of my teachers worked before class.

I sat on my desk, kicking my legs idly. Then finally, the door opened. But it wasn’t Bison. I halted all actions, feeling myself freeze at the presence of the newcomer. His violet eyes did not leave me. He went over to his desk, followed by his posse and sat down. His friends remained quiet and did the same.

I felt Kieran’s animosity towards me. That hurt. I bit my lip again, a habit I should really stop doing before my sharp incisors pierce through and draw blood. I continued to stare at him, not noticing the approaching blond.

Until he was right by my face.

“Hi” he whispered by my ear. I swerved around, slightly alarmed at the proximity of our faces, “I’m Aaron.”

A brief silence entered. I felt the saliva accumulate in my throat. His silver eyes urged me to speak. There was something special about him… But what was it?

“K-Kari.” I forced out.

Aaron smiled, moving back to create some room between us, “Hi Kari. Nice to meet you.”

I nodded, unable to speak. His eyes drew me in. They made Aaron different from any other immortal I have ever encountered. Most accomplished full fledged vampires had a topaz color like the Cullens. In some instances there were special cases like Nyx but even Bison and Van turned out to have golden eyes. Aaron’s eyes were not even close to fake.

“Is there something on my face?” Aaron’s voice brought me back to reality.

I shook my eyes, “I, no. Sorry. Just trying to memorize your face and your name.”

Aaron’s smile grew bigger; there wasn’t a fake kindness from him.

“Yay.” He cheered; he looked back at his friends who were curiously looking at us. All except for Kieran. “Do you want to meet my friends?” he asked.

I looked at Kieran quickly and nodded. Aaron grabbed my hand, his colder than mine and led me to his friends. Kieran glared at Aaron but he simply ignored it. Besides Kieran and Aaron, there were three other guys. Two brunettes, one with darker hair than the other and the last guy having dirty blond and black layers.

“This is Mark” Aaron pointed at the dark brunette who gave me a wave, “Pierre”, the lighter brunette smiled, “John” the dirty blond and black layered guy nodded in acknowledgement, “and Kieran.” Kieran’s glare at Aaron did not waver.

“Kari.” I said sheepishly, shoving my hands into my pockets.

An awkward pause followed after. Aaron chewed his lip, wishing for someone other than him to speak.

“You smell like dog.”

I looked at Kieran, as well as the other guys. We were confused but the guys seemed to be slightly irritated.

“Not cool dude.” said Aaron, “Kari does not smell like dog. Besides you don’t even say that kind of stuff to girls.” He scolded.

“It’s fine.” I said, waving my hands as if I was surrendering.

I became increasingly aware of Mark’s presence when his face came abnormally close to my neck. My entire body stiffened when he sniffed me. I was not sure of how to react at all. Mark pulled back with a perplexed look on his face.

“You don’t smell like a dog.” He commented.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, “Thank you?” I replied unsurely.

“Yeah, you smell more like strawberries and cinnamon.” Mark continued, “Hey guess what?! Kieran loves straw-”

Pierre interrupted his sentence and slapped the back of Mark’s head. Mark whined causing Pierre to roll his eyes and tell him to suck it up.

“You’re freaking her out dude.” said Pierre.

I let out a smile at their antics.

“Hey she’s smiling!” Pierre pointed out.

I felt my smile drop into slight shock from the sudden attention.

“Aw” pouted Mark, “Smile!” He cried like a kid, “Smile again! You know you want to!”

I turned away, leaning on the desk behind me. I snuck a glance at their faces, my bangs shielding my eyes. They pouted, with eager anticipation. I let out a small laugh, smiling.

Mark beamed, “She smiled! Ha! Success!”

“The only reason she’s smiling is cause of me.” said Pierre.

“No me!” protested Mark.

Aaron scoffed, “You two have egos the size of Europe.”

“At least we don’t have sticks up our perfect coif butts!” retaliated Mark.

“You sure you’re not confusing me with yourself?” Aaron asked.

“I know I’m awesome and all” I began, “But no need to fight.”

“Girl got a little pizzazz in her” smirked Mark, talking as if he was in an old movie “I like.”

I burst out laughing, “Girl got what?”

Aaron and Pierre laughed in Mark’s face. Mark moped, crossing his arms.

“You guys suck.”

His face made me crack up even more. Pierre held onto Aaron for balance. Something about them laughing made me laugh harder.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” shouted Kieran. His voice made me jump in alarm. “There is nothing to laugh about.”

“Dude, chill.” calmed Aaron.

“No!” replied Kieran, “Stop acting like nothing is wrong!”

Kieran stood up angrily and came towards me. The three guys stood in front of me, blocking Kieran.

“Get out of my way!”

Kieran pushed Aaron to the side. Aaron caught himself before he hit the desk. Mark and Pierre stiffened slightly. Their muscles contracting.

“Kieran!” Aaron shouted, “Stop this. What are you-”

“This is not right!” exclaimed Kieran, “She’s not- We’re- I- We’re not suppose to be fraternizing with her!” He spat out, hands in fists.

“And why’s that?” asked Aaron testily.

“You know why!” Kieran shouted.

“Kieran.” Van entered the room, “Calm down dude.”

Kieran glared at Van but remained silent.

“Kari isn’t a bad person.” said Van.

“And why’s that?” asked Kieran.

“She saved your life.” Van replied simply, walking over to us, “Besides, she’s no different from you. If you say she’s dangerous, then you’re just the same.”

Kieran let out a small growl.

“She already knows Kieran.” commented Van.

“Why?”

Van looked at him alarmed, “What do you mean ‘why’? She’s probably one of the most crucial keys to all of this!”

“To be clear, we’re talking about the war?” I found myself asking before I could think of what I was doing.

They all turned towards me. Van nodded his head before averting his gaze back to Kieran. A silence overcame us. After a while, the tension got to me. I had to break it.

“So about the war…” I started catching their attention, “The Cullens and the Quileutes have already been notified and we’re going to start preparing soon-”

“The Quileutes?” questioned Van, “You referring to the shape shifters?”

I nodded, “Yeah. Yesterday Nyx and I headed down afterwards and told them everything.”
Maybe it was the presence of someone I knew a little better, but for some reason Van made it easier for me to speak what was on my mind.

“I was thinking we should have some sort of training session. We have to have some planning strategy and be comfortable around the area we’re fighting in.” I explained, “And since Forks is populated by humans, its best if we trap the enemy in the mountains.”

“Who said we needed your help?” asked Kieran.

I furrowed my brows, confused. “What?”

“We” Kieran motioned to his coven, “can take care of them all easily. Tell your little friends they can go hide until all of this goes away.”

“What?” I repeated harshly, in disbelief of what he was saying. Confusion and anger were building up in me.

“What are you saying Kieran?” Van said in an authoritative voice.

“We are more than enough to take on whoever comes here” Kieran told Van, “You know that. I don’t get why it is so important for them to be included.”

“Did you walk into a wall of titanium?” asked Aaron appalled, “Or did your head smash against the door to many times? Since when did your ego grow so big?

Kieran turned to his friend. “Shut up. You’ve done more than enough damage.”

“Are you hearing yourself right now?” Aaron asked.

Fury built up in Kieran, it was present by his actions. Why was it I could not feel his emotions?

“Shut up!” he roared.

“Kieran.”

A steady voice entered the stilled air. Bison walked in with a firm look. Kieran swerved around. He snapped his jaw, grabbed his stuff and stalked out of the classroom quickly. I stared after him, my gaze lingering at the doorway to which many students were starting to come in.

“Kari.” Bison’s comforting voice brought me from my trance, “It’ll be fine. Please take a seat. I’ll talk to you after class.”

I nodded, looking back at the door once more, taking a seat beside an animated Trista. She was talking to her neighbor allowing me some time to process what had happened. But exactly, what did happen? Van said I was no different from Kieran. How though? I saw Kieran that night. He died. I had no recollection of Kieran getting drunken from. So how? How did that happen? What did Van mean?

Speaking of Van, I scanned the room searching for him. But he was gone. So were Aaron, Pierre and Mark. Their seats were empty. When did they leave and where did they go? Bison seemed undisturbed by their lack of presence and caught the class’ attention as the bell rang signaling the start of class.

Class went by fairly quickly. Bison reminding the class that tomorrow was the debate about Lamia. Bison avoided our table slightly, talking to other students. However, it was discrete enough to not draw any unnecessary attention. Trista helped me lay down some points and the more I focused on learning about Lamia, the more it got me thinking.

Was she actually alive? Was she the reason why there are vampires? Immortals? She wasn’t a vampire herself but she was transformed into monster by Zeus so she could exact her revenge on Hera by hunting and devouring the children of others. If the existence of vampires came to be because something like this happened, then Billy was right. Vampires are no good. I’m no good.

The bell rang signaling the end of first period. Students rushed out the door. Trista bid me farewell and hurried. Everyone seemed to be in a frantic hurry today. I went to follow Trista but was pulled back by Bison.

“Kari.” He said, “We need to talk. All of us.”

His eyes stared straight into mine. I nodded hesitantly.

“Come here after lunch” said Bison, “I get my coven and excuse the Cullens’ from class.”

I shook my head. He looked at me puzzled.

“I’m going home at lunch” I told him, “But afterwards Nyx and I will be going to the Cullens’. Get your coven and we’ll meet you there.”

Bison nodded, “Alright. See you then.”

I went to the door but stopped myself. I turned back to see Bison shuffling his papers. My fingers gripped the doorway.

“Bison?” I whispered. I knew he heard me though, “Do- um… Do you know- Do you know where Kieran is?” I blurted out.

He looked surprise however I knew he wasn’t. Bison shook his head slowly.

I cleared my throat nervously, “Well… You do know what I am… Right?”

Bison raised his eyebrow, “What do you mean?”

“Well I um…” I transferred my weight back and forth, slightly bouncing on my feet, “You’re a vampire… And I’m… not.”

I looked down at the ground, waiting for his reply.

“You mean you being an amalgam?” He questioned, “Yep. Both Nyx and yourself. Did I not tell you this?”

“No I meant… Being an Empath.” I lowered my voice considerably.

Bison looked at me bewildered, “Are you?”

I nodded, shifting my gaze. He walked over to me, his eyes turning into that vampiric golden color. He held my face in his hand and stared.

“Wow.” He pulled away, “I suspected you might be gifted but I never could have guessed you were an Empath. Isn’t one of the Cullens an Empath as well?”

I nodded, “Jasper. The guy with the pixie looking girl.” I fiddled with my fingers, “But that’s not my point…”

“Tell me then.”

“What exactly- How- Why can’t I feel Kieran’s emotions?” I stuttered, “He’s like me right? That’s what Van said. But how come?”

Bison shrugged, “I’m not sure. Kieran’s special like you. Do you realize how none of you have the typical features of a vampire? I’m thinking it has to do with your amalgamation.”

“Then what about Aaron?” I asked, “His eyes are silver. What’s his gift?”

He let out a chuckle, “You sound scared.”

I sheepishly nodded, “I am. He kind of freaks me out when he looks at me.”

“Well… Aaron got bitten by a descendent of an Ancient.”

How was that possible though?

“But Ancients-“

“I know” Bison cut off, “This was an accident. Then a whole chain of blood thirsty gifted vampires came about.”

“Gifted how?” I inquired.

“You have to go now Kari.” Bison avoided, “We’re already late for our next period. My next class is just across the hall.” He went over to his desk and scribbled something quickly before passing it to me, “Here. Give this to your teacher.”

“But-”

“We’ll talk later. At the Cullens’ right?”

I nodded, slightly irked but went to Ms. Bramer’s class. She being irritated with my late entrance fueled my annoyance. Bella gave me a questioning look but I waved her off, letting her know it was nothing to trouble herself with. Lynne positioned her notebook closer to me so I could copy down the previous notes I had missed.

It was strange. I never realized how large an impact Nyx had on people until now. People would randomly whisper to me, asking me where she was. Despite the same answer I gave, it just seemed to encourage more and more people to wonder.

Third period strolled on by. Bella attached herself to my side. As soon as Lynne left us alone, she attacked me with questions. Alice and Bella decided to sit beside me. My hand began to feel like I had carpal tunnel from writing so many notes to answer Alice and Bella. What sucks the most is I’m repeating myself. All their questions require tedious long answers, mostly about Nyx and the war. Every time I would reply ‘I’ll explain later.’

Alice and Bella had no choice but to leave me alone for fourth period. However, it seemed like Edward and Emmett took their place almost seamlessly. Have I mentioned how much I hate Edward right now? His stupid telepathy won’t shut up in my head. I decided to deal with this in a very Nyx worthy way.

I poked up relentlessly with my pen. There’s a bunch of blue dots on his skin now. Halfway through I began to connect the dots. I ended up writing EdwardXNyx on his forearm. Ah. Revenge. That got him to shut up. Then Ms. Bilson got annoyed with our bickering. She made the two of us leave early, I didn’t mind though.

“So what happened?” continued Edward as he tried to rub the ink off his skin. All it did was smear over his arm causing a wicked effect.

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean.” He gave me a look, “The Quileutes.”

“And Nyx?” I pursued.

Edward sighed, aggravated and rolled his eyes, “Yeah sure.”

“Nothing much” I shrugged; I felt fumes coming out of Edward. I laughed. “Okay, okay! Well we went down to La Push. We were stopped before we could reach the border. Then there was a huge showdown between us. It wasn’t anything big. Sam threatened us, Paul tried to attack me.”

Edward gave a guttural growl; I rolled my eyes, “Hey, its fine. Nyx saved me from Sam. She fought him down.”

Edward furrowed his eyebrows, “Sam and Nyx fought?”

I nodded, “It wasn’t gruesome or anything. Just a couple of push and shoves. Jake came though… He basically saved our asses. If it wasn’t for him, the Quileutes wouldn’t have even listened to us.”

“You’re fine then?” Concern seeped into his words. Was this what having a brother felt like?

I smiled at him, “Yeah. Jake stopped Paul from hurting me.”

Edward struggled to say anything. I never realized how far Edward and Jacob disliked each other until now. They had a mutual unspoken (at least to my knowledge) to be somewhat civil to each other, for the people they cared about. Well… Bella. I don’t know if Charlie is included in that statement.

“Don’t worry.” I told him.

“What happened afterwards?”

“Well we went down to the beach. All of the Quileutes were there.” I said, “Some stuff were said, a brief agreement was approached.”

“What kind of stuff?” He asked suspiciously.

I tried to avoid the subject, “War. Insults were traded. Don’t worry about it.”

“Tell me.” He continued.

“Not my place to say.”

“Nyx?” His face turned to stone.

I turned around abruptly to face him, “Why do you always do that?”

“Do what?!”

“You always blame Nyx! I don’t even know why you do that but you do!” I said, throwing my hands up, “I mean god forbid Nyx does something right for you to recognize!”

Edward grew defensive, “She’s always there whenever something goes wrong!”

“So am I!” I retaliated, “But you never blamed me.”

“I-” Edward halted, unable to think of an argument.

“Remember how Nyx said she was going to mess with your head?” I asked quietly, “She didn’t mean that you know.”

Edward’s head hung, his voice spoke solemnly, “I know.”

“Then why exactly are you so defensive to her?” I questioned, “Actually, you know what? I think she did mess with your head.”

Edward’s head shot up, looking at me questioningly.

“But it’s not her that’s doing it. It’s you.” I told him, “It’s her presence that’s causing you to mess yourself up.”

Edward went to speak. I cut him off.

“I know that much.” I said, “I’m an Empath remember? I’ve been one long enough to deduct thoughts in emotions whether they are recognized by the person or not.”

Edward remained silent from there. We idly stood in the hallway, coated in silence until the school bell rang. Students bustled around us. Noise filled my ears as I stared at Edward. He wouldn’t face me though.

“Your house alright?” I spoke at last, “Nyx and I will be over at your place after school. Tell Bella to call the Quileutes.”

“Why don’t you-” His voice was hoarse.

“Just because we agreed on something, doesn’t mean we’re all happy about it.” I said, “Compromise sucks in that sense.”

Edward nodded somberly.

“Relax” I told him before I left for home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aaron
I decided to use Kyle Burns as Aaron. =P

Bit of a filler... But it's a really long one...