Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Trial

“NYX!” I cried out, “What are you doing?!”

Our entire house was empty. Well at least our living room was because that was the first room I saw when I entered. Nyx popped her head through the doorway that was connecting the kitchen and the living room.

“Hey!” She called out, “I made lunch.” She completely ignored my question.

“Why is the living room empty?” I asked frantically, “Where’s the piano?!”

“It’s in the spare guestroom across yours.” She answered.

“The couch? The coffee table?” I inquired, “The carpets?! You changed it to hardwood?!”

Nyx shrugged me off, “Practice space.”

“For what?!”

“Training. For the war?” she said mockingly.

“We have the woods for that!” I said.

“Well now we can do it at home too!” Nyx stuck her tongue out childishly.

“How long did it take to do this?”

She remained quiet, shifting her gaze from the floor to the ceiling.

“You didn’t rest did you?” I asked accusingly.

“Yes I did!” protested Nyx, “Between 8 to 8:15, 9 to 9:05, 9:45 to 9:48, 10:23 to 10:35 and 11:16 to 11:19!” She told me proudly.

“You rested for 33 minutes?! Are you serious?” I exclaimed, “You need to relax!”

“Well you pulled an all nighter!” She rebuked.

“I rested my arse for a week! You busted yours by taking care of me!”

“Yeah well… You didn’t make me noodles so feh!” She stuck her tongue out once again and went back to the kitchen.

I followed her into the room where it was heavily scented with the smell of noodles. Nyx pushed a bowl and a fork towards me as I sat down while she happily slurped hers up.

“So anything interesting happen today?” she asked.

I gave her a shrug, “Nothing really. I learned who the people in Bison’s coven were, apparently Kieran is like me or I’m like him… The details are really fuzzy and um… the Cullens are super curious about everything right now, they wouldn’t shut the hell up! I mean even Bella was nagging me.”

Nyx gave a loud slurp, halting half way when she saw me giving her a look. She smiled apologetically and motioned for me to continue.

“Everyone is really curious about where you are.” I commented, “Seems you’re really popular.”

Nyx smiled proudly, “Durh.”

“And after school, we’re going to be at the Cullens’.” I said quickly, “Plan some strategy, recon, etc.”

Nyx spat out her noodles, eyes wide with shock. “Why?!” she whined, “I love Alice and all but gah. Edward is so annoying.”

“What you rather have it here?” I asked her sarcastically.

She enthusiastically nodded her head, new noodles dripping out of her mouth.

“No.” I said, “I’d rather not have the Quileutes come here and tear our house apart. Besides the Cullens’ live by the forest so we’re safer away from civilization.”

Nyx grumbled, eating the rest of her noodles and slurped the soup. She wiped her mouth with her wrist, stood up and put her bowl in the sink.

“I’m going to go change or something.” She said, heading up the stairs.

“Rest!” I called after her, earning only a mumbled “Yeah, yeah” from her.

I finished my noodles and put the bowl into the sink. I quickly washed the dishes, wiping my hands off the towel. I checked to listen around and music was playing in Nyx’s room. I crept up upstairs and pressed my ear against Nyx’s doorway. I heard a small rustle of blankets meaning Nyx was lying on her bed. Even if she wasn’t sleeping, she was resting her body. That’s what mattered the most.

I changed into a loose Mayday Parade band tee and black shorts. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. Dark rims surrounded my garnet eyes forcing them to pop out against my auburn hair. I grabbed a black elastic, putting my hair up. I slipped on a pair of leather fingerless gloves, wrapping it nicely against my wrist. I flexed my hand, getting used to the feel of leather.

I headed down to the living room and closed the curtains of the window, obstructing the view from the outside. I started to stretch out my limbs; several cracks were heard from the slip of the air sockets between my bones. After a half hour of doing this, I shook off any tenseness in my body, taking a deep breath.

I grabbed my Ipod and placed the headphones on my head. I turned it on, playing ‘Hear Me Now’ by Framing Hanley. I took another breath, letting the beat of the music flow through my body. Then I began to move, practicing my fighting.

If you’ve ever done martial arts, there are routines you learn to gain a full understanding of how to move your body and when. It teaches fluidity, speed and power. I flipped my body over, doing a roundhouse side kick and landed through the balls of my feet. I lifted my arms up in a bracing kind of boxing position, punched twice in the air, spun and kicked.

I don’t know how long I practiced but it was a while. I didn’t even realize how quickly the time had passed. The music fueled my energy, channeling my past frustration into my practice. It was a good outlet. A good physical outlet that music could not always provide for me as exercising made my blood pump even more.

“Kari.” I distantly heard Nyx’s voice.

I turned my head and lowered my stance. I wiped my brow with my arm, flinging a piece of hair out of my face. Nyx looked less pasty and more flushed with the rest she gotten.

“You’ve been at this for hours. Go shower.” She commanded, “We’ll head over to the Cullens’ after.”

“What time is it?” I asked.

“A little after 3.” replied Nyx, “Now go. Your shirt is all soaked.”

I nodded and headed up, peeling my clothes off my back. Hot water cascaded on my body as soon as I stepped into the shower. I cleaned myself off, grabbing the towel and went to change. I put on my leather gloves again, a pair of skinny cargo dark grey shorts and a nice colorfully decorated grey graphic tee. I grabbed a pair of Nyx’s shoes and headed downstairs with my ipod and Blackberry stowed in the pockets of my shorts. I had put three elastics around my right wrist.

Nyx waited for me at the door. I took a chance and glanced at her outfit. It was similar to mine with her pair of red gloves, a soimpolite tank top, and a pair of black leggings. She went to the driver’s seat of the Spider and then we headed off. It was a silent ride but it was comfortable. I always felt at ease with Nyx, something about her calms me down.
We arrived within a couple of minutes, Carlisle already outside waiting to greet us.

“Edward called” He explained, “Come on in. They’ll be here soon.”

We followed him in, my mother stood there with a proud affectionate smile as Carlisle went beside her.

“We were told about everything.” said Carlisle, Nyx and I tensed “About the war.” Our bodies immediately relaxed in relief, “I know there is more, but we will wait until you two are ready to reveal to us about yourselves.”

Of course, there really isn’t any choice for them but to wait. Nonetheless Nyx smiled in appreciation at Carlisle, muttering a “Thank you” to him in a small voice. Carlisle gave a warm smile. My mother beamed at the interaction between us.

Within a couple of minutes, people began to file in. First Bella and Edward, then Alice and Jasper, Emmett and Rosalie, followed by Bison, Van, Pierre and Mark. The Quileutes, Aaron and Kieran were no where to be found. Bison apologized for their lateness. Bella explained in many unnecessary words saying that the Quileutes were informed of their meeting but she did not know if they were coming or not.

“So how are we going to do this?” asked Van, directing his question to Nyx.

“Practice combat, strategy.” said Nyx, “Go over war preparation, battle field tactics.”

Then Nyx whipped around to face Bison.

“What do you know exactly?” she questioned, “About their fighting method or strategy?”

Bison thought, “Silver nitrate. They’re using silver nitrate bullets to kill them.”

Nyx’s eyes widened drastically in shock.

“But how?!” she shouted, “How did they develop something like that so quickly?”

“What do you mean?” asked Alice.

“Silver kills werewolves.” replied Nyx, “The most inflicting weapon on werewolves. How did the vampire invent something like that?”

Bison shook his head, “I do not know however because of their new technology, killing will be that much easier for them. It puts us at a disadvantage. These new bullets can penetrate our skin as well.”

Carlisle stepped up in alarm, the Cullen boys following in suit.

“Wait, silver nitrate?” asked Carlisle, “That can kill them? Can it kill us?”

Bison turned to Carlisle, hesitantly shaking his head, “It should not kill us. But it will wound us immensely if we do not react quickly enough. The Ancients have put the best minds to develop a newer more destructive type of bullets where the chemical compound will essentially release into the blood stream when it is shot into a being. I do not know how long nor how close their research is to develop the new technology but nonetheless it is immensely dangerous.”

“Damnit.” swore Nyx, “We should get started then.”

“How?” questioned Edward suspiciously, “How are we to prepare?”

Nyx sarcastically snarled at him, “Oh I don’t know Cullen. How do we prepare and make sure we don’t kill ourselves? How did the Canadians obliterate the Germans at Vimy Ridge?” She gave no time for Edward to reply, “Practice Cullen, practice. We practice our combat, evasive maneuvers, battle plans for different situation and pray for the best.”

“How do you practice then?” inquired Carlisle, cutting the tension between Nyx and Edward, “I am very familiar with my family and their fighting however I have nearly no knowledge on yours.”

Nyx quirked an eyebrow, “That goes both ways. Although should you not have picked up anything when Victoria came to attack?”

Carlisle shook his head, “I have some vague theories but that is the extent of my knowledge.”

“How do you get a theory?” Nyx asked bewildered.

I stepped in, putting in my two cents, “What do you mean by theories? I mean from the stuff you gathered when you examined me or during the actual fight?”

I took a quick glance at Edward but he was simply curious.

“From what I had concluded is that both of you are gifted immortals.” He said, “Kari however displays many human characteristics. Nyx shows extremely detailed and talented combinations of two separate species of immortals.”

I narrowed my eyes slightly, trying to comprehend his words, “And by that you mean?”

“You two are gifted.” He said simply, “But you aren’t pure breeds. What are your gifts?”

Bison cleared his throat loudly, “That right now is irrelevant.” His voice spoke over the looming protests from the Cullens’, “I propose we learn about each other’s fighting styles.”

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” asked Van, smirking. His eyes danced with amusement and excitement, looking quickly between Nyx and Bison.

Learning about each other’s fighting styles… If I still know Bison well enough then I should be able to guess what he has in mind.

“Free for all tournament?” I guessed.

“In a sense,” Bison nodded and turned to Carlisle and Esme, “If of course you don’t mind.”

Carlisle quickly agreed, “No, in fact why don’t we go to the forest grounds?”

And so we headed out of the Cullen residence and into the forest by the mountains.

“Is this your entire coven?” asked Carlisle to Bison.

Bison shook his head, “No. There are two more but they are running late.”

“Both boys?”

“Yes.”

As we reached the clearing, an odd smell entered the air. Both Bison and Carlisle’s covens’ faces twisted with disgust. The closer we got, the stronger the smell and the more their faces distorted. It soon became clear the Quileutes were waiting patiently for us. Bella gave a delighted shout to Jacob who beamed in reply. I bit my lip, using the motion to compensate for any outbursts I was tempted to shout.

“Thought you weren’t going to show.” said Nyx.

“Can’t exactly disobey you now can we?” answered Quil with a playful sarcastic tone, “We all know how persuasive you can be.”

Nyx scoffed, laughing at the stupidity of Quil, “You’re something you know that?”

“Thank you.” Quil bowed at her feet, “Now what’s the plan?”

I took a brief scan of the Quileutes. Everyone stood in a circle, or a semi circle around the clearing, leaving the center empty. Only several of them did not have a scowl painted over their faces. Embry, Quil, Jacob, Seth and the two younger shifters that did not have a problem with us. In fact none of them did, they just were trying to keep their pride and dignity in tact, trying not to seem as if they were swaying from their position. Their nerves were all jumbled up inside them and-

“Hey!” called out Paul, interrupting my thought process, “Stop it.” He told me.

I looked at him puzzled but decided to dismiss it.

“Shall we get started then?” asked Bison, clapping his hands together, “Any volunteers?”

Edward stepped up and pointed at Nyx, “I want to fight you.”

Nyx stared at Edward’s finger; mouth slightly parted giving her a slightly intimidating expression.

“So do I.” spoke Sam, moving closer to the center of the clearing.

Bison looked at Nyx questioningly, “Are you alright with both of them fighting you?”

Nyx’s eyes traveled between the three males. Her tongue ran over her fangs. The small action was noticeable enough to send shivers down every male’s spine. And then she nodded.

“I’m fighting with her.” Van immediately spoke.

“Why?” asked Nyx, “Don’t bother. It’ll be fine.”

“But-”

“Stand down Van.” ordered Bison. It was clear he was the leader.

Nyx shrugged and moved forward. Bison looked between the three of them and explained a few simple rules: no biting, no killing, no brutally wounding anyone until the brink of death or paralysis. I actually felt Nyx to be the one to be a tad disappointed.

Sam and Edward got into stance, Sam shifted, Edward was in a mountain lion position. The two circled Nyx, like a bird stalking its prey. Her eyes darted back and forth between the two but she stood still and straight.

Then the males moved to strike. Nyx watched the two carefully and just as they were about to collide, she moved. She gracefully twisted out of the way causing the other two to crash. It was clear Sam and Edward had decided to forget their differences and team up on Nyx. I wonder how much Edward knows right now about Nyx. Telepathy is a powerful thing.

“Kari” Van’s voice drew part of my attention away from the ongoing battle, “You know Nyx well enough right? Her battle style at least? Can you tell me what she’s doing exactly?”

Nyx did not strike either one of her opponents.

I looked at Van questioningly before turning away back to the fight.

“Capoeira,” I answered, “An Afro-Brazilian art form combining elements of martial arts, dance, music and games.” Nyx had closed her eyes, head slightly moving almost as if beats to a song, “It was created by slaves in Brazil. Shouldn’t you have recognized this? It’s been here for as long as the 16th century.”

My eyes had to shift quickly to follow her movements. Even the slight flick of her wrist made all the difference in Capoeira. Unlike Nyx, I had yet to master this style.

“I’ve never seen it before” replied Van, “She looks like she’s just dancing.”

“That’s the style, it demands great flexibility and reflexes.”

“So why hasn’t she attacked them yet?” he asked, “She has had so many opportunities to strike back.”

I shrugged, “Capoeira is a defensive style, not so much an offensive one. It is meant to evade and not an attack. My guess is Nyx is just damn lazy.”

I heard Van laugh beside me, “I don’t doubt that for some reason. She really shouldn’t hold back though, everyone is here to see her.”

“That’s part of the reason why she’s being lazy” I told him, “She hates being put on display. Nyx is not the type to show off.”

Minutes passed on as Nyx fought on. Sam and Edward were getting tired but they weren’t the only ones. Van pestered me as well as Mark and Pierre. I was questioned endlessly about Nyx’s fighting and my limited knowledge of Capoeira. I was somewhat forced to make predictions on their moves in my explainations.

After a while, I realized the rest of the Cullens and the Quileutes were keeping a close eye on the battle while eavesdropping on my words. I could tell Nyx was getting bored. Her stance became more sluggish and she could tell the two were getting tired. Nyx allowed them to hit her arm a couple of times. Then she hit both of them.

She twisted Edward’s arm, slamming him into the ground. Nyx slipped her leg under Sam’s stomach and kicked him upwards. As Sam regained balance in the air, he landed on the ground on all fours with no time to dodge Edward’s heavy body covering him.

Nyx clapped her hands together, sarcastically cheering, “Oh yay. That was fun. Anything else?”

Edward grudgingly got up off of Sam. Sam shifted back into his human form. Bison clapped loudly, praising Nyx.

“Was that enough demo of my skills?” Nyx asked innocently.

“Not even close” smirked Van, “But we don’t exactly get a say in this do we?”

“Smart answer.” said Nyx, “Whose next?”

Immediately Emmett and Jasper stood, followed by Paul and Jared.

Nyx smirked, a sadistic glint in her eyes. Her mouth moved to form one word, “Fun.”

I couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. Any guesses on who my money is on?
♠ ♠ ♠
I took the whole silver nitrate idea from Underworld. =] Awesome movie series. If you haven't watched it, do so now. Although it is a bit gory, sexual... And its rated so yeahh...