Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Irrational

Edward had no feelings running through him right now. He was simply feeling nothing as he led the two of us into the parking lot by his Volvo. Although things were going through his mind. Nyx was slightly nervous. I was too.

Silence overtook us for a couple of minutes. I don’t think Edward suspected we would be at the mall but we were. I do know that we were probably going to be arguing. About what exactly? I’m not sure. Anxiety filled the air between us.

Edward was facing away from us. His fist constantly clenched and relaxed. He was figuring out a way to speak without blowing up or attacking us. I don’t think he knows we’re vampires or even hybrids. He suspects it though; Edward knows there’s something different about us.

He turned around; a strong fierce look overcame his features.

“What are you?” Edward spoke with a very unnaturally calm tone.

“What… What do you mean?” Nyx asked apprehensively.

I stole a glance at Nyx, something felt off about this entire atmosphere.

Edward eyed Nyx suspiciously. He clutched his fists once more.

“Ashnyx and Katrina right?” Edward asked.

I nodded.

“Why are you here in Forks?” He asked.

“Thought we needed a change in scenery.” I replied simply for both Nyx and I.

Nyx was starting to feel uncomfortable under Edward’s scrutinizing gaze.

“Where did you come from then?”

“East Coast.” I said, directing his attention away from Nyx.

Edward glared, “A rather large change isn’t it?”

I shrugged, “Not too big.”

“Really?” Edward asked suspiciously, “So what led to this change?”

My eyebrows creased, “Nothing. Just wanted something calmer.”

“Why though?” Edward pressed on.

“Why what?” I asked.

“What would require you two to find somewhere calmer?” He interrogated.

I remained silent for a couple of seconds. I blinked, never wavering my glance away from his form. He continuously glanced back and forth at Nyx and me.

I shrugged once again, “Too much constant noise and drama.”

Edward snapped towards me, “Shouldn’t that be expected in the East Coast?”

“Not really.” I replied.

“Can you give me more than one phrase answers?” Edward said angrily.

Why was he acting like we were the ones who were at fault here?

Nyx snapped, “Can you be more of an arse?”

Edward stiffened as Nyx glared daggers at him. She does not take shit from anyone. Edward took a deep breath regardless of the fact he didn’t need it and calmed down. Nyx continued to glare at him, all apprehension washed away like it was never there.

“I’m just wondering about you two. Trying to understand you.” He vaguely explained.

Nyx’s glare deepened, “And what exactly do you achieve by understanding us?”

He sharply looked at us, shocked at Nyx’s tone.

“Don’t pretend that we don’t know you harbor some kind of hatred towards us. All you’ve been doing every time we’ve crossed paths is glare at us.” Nyx seethed, “I don’t understand how we’re such a big threat.”

Edward narrowed his eyes, “Because I know.”

“And what do you know?” Nyx countered, not missing a beat in the argument.

“There’s more to you than you let on.” Edward spoke, “And I’m going to find out what.”

Nyx scoffed, crossing her arms, “So you’re basing your theory on assumption? That’s pathetic.”

Edward glared, “Stay away. I’m warning you two to stay away from me, my family and especially Bella if you know what’s good for you.”

“Right of course.” Nyx said sarcastically, “We’ll totally listen to a stranger. Oh and anything else you would like us to do Edward?”

Nyx spat out Edward’s name as if it was poison and Edward did not missed that, he clenched his jaw tightly.

“I don’t trust you.” He said, grinding his jaw slightly, “I know you two will do Bella harm in the future. I can tell.”

“We’re not going to stay away from your precious Bella if she approaches us. You can’t dictate her or our actions. Don’t you Bella is a strong enough person to stand up for herself and make her own decisions?! To make her own judgments?! Are you afraid we’ll turn Bella against you?!” Nyx retorted.

Edward glared, stepping towards us. Nyx was provoking him deliberately. Some type of sick satisfaction was arising within Nyx; I guess this was the alternative outlet for her anger towards Edward.

“I mean after all, we’re the horrible scheming frauds aren’t we?! It’s totally justifiable that you’ve assumed such things about Kari and me.” Nyx said, her voice beginning to go into hysterics.

I wasn’t mad like Nyx, just extremely confused. Confused on why she was acting so irrationally, speaking such harsh words. She was never like this. Nyx was impulsive yes, but not irrational.

“I don’t think you love Bella. You aren’t really protecting her. You just enjoy the thought of her being yours don’t you?!”

That’s when I could tell Nyx stepped over the line. Edward lunged at her, two flashes blurred right by me, holding Edward back, restraining him from potentially hurting Nyx. He snarled viciously. Alice & Emmett held Edward tightly in place.

“Don’t you dare say things like that!” Edward spoke venomously.

“Say what? Assume the exact same type of accusations that you’ve concluded about us?” Nyx defied, her voice loosing a lot of her prior defiance. She sounded weak, almost defeated.

All three Cullens were shocked at the sudden change in her demeanor. Especially Edward, he himself could see the pain reflected in Nyx’s eyes. Then I remembered… Why Ashnyx was reacting like this, being so defensive. Her biggest flaw. She wasn’t trusting. She hides her pain, her emotion and shields them from the world to prevent hurt.

By acting rashly, she was able to hide her pain. Of course it doesn’t explain entirely why everything is happening as it was. But the best answer I can come up with is she finally snapped. After all those years, even as a child and everyone always judging her, demeaning her, she wasn’t going to take it like the “better” person.

Or maybe it was her reaction to the way Edward was acting towards her. It probably pissed her off that someone she did not judge, hell someone she probably ever liked at first glance was a judgmental arse. She was broken inside right now, I could feel it. As much as her anger was overpowering me, her hurt was in there. I knew now, she liked Edward. Liked being the key word. It might have changed now. Although, I don’t think she realizes anything herself.

“You know what?” Nyx spoke at an eerily calm voice.

The silence was broken by those three words. The tension that was among the five of us thickened.

“Just because you told us to stay away, I’m going to get closer to Bella.” Nyx said.

Edward’s guilt and sympathy was washed away. He growled once more.

“Don’t you dare.” Edward spoke, abhorrence wrapped around his words.

“No Cullen, I don’t just dare.” Nyx retaliated, confusing everyone, “I’ll fucking do everything you’re afraid will happen. I’ll prove your accusations right.”

Alice looked at me, stumped with our quarrel. I looked towards her, desperation was written all over my face. I didn’t know what to expect right now.

Nyx walked right up to Edward, faces barely a millimeter apart, noses grazing against each other. She stared right in his eyes, a burning glaze overcoming her. Edward was perplexed, unable to break away from her gaze.

“I’m going to mess with your head so bad, you won’t be able to even think straight.” Nyx’s voice came as a harsh whisper.

She turned around towards me, titled her head towards the mall and walked off, leaving me in the mall parking lot. I looked back towards the three Cullens, entirely mystified at what just occurred. Edward was worried, but not as much as he should be. Because not for one moment do I doubt Nyx’s words.

This was the first time I’ve ever seen her so dangerous, furious and spoke so deadly. And for some strange reason, I wasn’t scared, just shaken from the power in her voice. Alice looked at me once more, releasing her grasp around Edward’s fore arm.

“Be careful and watch your step.” I told her, “Nyx keeps her words. Pray that you won’t get in her path like Edward did.”

Alice nodded, “I’ll do my best.”

I glanced at Emmett, his eyebrows furrowed at the path Nyx had just walked. He felt my eyes on him and turned towards me.

“Take care.” I said, walking off back towards the mall.

I wrapped my arms around myself, heading back toward American Apparel. The bright lights around celebrating the upcoming fall season seemed to betray the mood I was in. I could feel Nyx’s fury, even though it was diminishing, it was still apparent.

Ralph was at the front of Hot Topic, just waiting for me. His arm was around Nyx as she calmed down from the verbal thrashing she gave Edward. I walked towards them, Ralph’s gaze holding a small anger.

“If you didn’t get back just now, I would’ve gone out there.” He said to me, hugging the both of us.

“I’m fine though. We both are.” I whispered, “If anything, Edward is the one who was in trouble. Nyx was the one who kept him in line.”

Ralph looked at Nyx and chuckled slightly. He ruffled her hair.

“Nice.” He smiled at the both of us, hugging us tightly once more and walked back to Hot Topic.

Nyx and I just stood out side the stores for a couple of minutes. The buzz of the mall around us faded out. The two of us stared at each other.

“I meant what I said.” Nyx murmured, “I meant every word.”

I nodded my head, unsure of what to say.

“I don’t believe Edward is good for Bella. I’m going to try my best to show her that. I don’t think they truly love each other like they think.” Nyx continued.

I looked around us before returning my gaze at Nyx, my own voice was hushed as well.

“Do you really believe though… Everything you said? Because… I don’t think you do.”

Nyx looked away and shook her head.

“A lot of things, I know I shouldn’t have said. But I was too angry. That’s no excuse though.” She snapped her head towards me, her eyes alit with defiance, “However, I refuse to apologize. Edward deserved it. I don’t know why, but I feel like he deserved it.”

I simply nodded my head, “Just don’t let your pride get the best of you.”

Nyx gave me a sad smile.

“It already did.” Nyx replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edward

=D I hope that was a good chapter. Overall I liked it except some lines stood out to me and I couldn't quite place what I didn't like about it. I think I did a fair job at writing at Nyx's dialogue. I pray I captured Edward's protective character well. =S Hope you liked it!
I'm so glad exams are nearly over too.