Where Will I Be When I Wake up Next to a Stranger

I Love The Mayhem More Than The Love

Grey painted the sky yet again on the 8th of November as Katherine’s eyes fluttered open and closed again. Her face was buried in a familiar yet unfamiliar chest and she was enclosed in a strong pair of arms. Open, close. She brought her hands to her eyes, rubbing the sleep out of them and lifted her face to Peter’s. His face twitched with dreams, and he smiled widely at one point. Katherine smiled back, even if he couldn’t see her.

She inhaled and breathed out deeply, starting to feel everything from the night before. The bruises stung more than how they initially got there, and her body was sore from only God knows what. She started to move around to get in a comfortable position, but without waking Pete up. He did anyways, loosening his grip around her waist, and letting her turn on her back.

“Good morning.” He said in a congested voice.
“Hello.” She greeted as his arm laid across her stomach.
“How did you sleep?” He asked somewhat cautiously.
“Good. I felt protected…Thank you.” She smiled warmly, all the while staring at the ceiling.
“No problem…How are you feeling?” He kept on with the questions. He was willing to listen to her as long as she was willing to talk.
“I’ve been better.” She shrugged as he nodded at her shoulder.
“You wanna talk about it?” He asked quietly, hoping that she wouldn’t shut him out.

Katherine was silent for a while, and Pete was beginning to think that she might have fallen asleep when she spoke.

“I don’t know what I’m doing with myself anymore.” She said in a small, lost voice.
“It’s almost like I’m willing these things to happen to me. I could leave him at any given moment, but I don’t. And I come up with these lame excuses that I’m scared of being alone, but I think it’s quite the opposite.” Katherine spilled, as she just stared at the ceiling.

Pete was stunned, that she would not only open up to him, but trust him, of all people with this. He laid there, for a short while like she had before he answered her.

“Well you can’t just keep letting him hurt you…Even if it was just once or twice, this can go on to something much worse. And maybe he’s done this to someone else before, but they were too scared to say anything about it. Maybe we don’t know each other as much as we should, but I do know that you’re a strong person.” He tried to encourage her, if not for herself then for the others that might be in the dark.
“I’m scared.” She whispered as hot tears seared her vision.
“Don’t be. Because I’m here, and so is Jonathon, your father, Amity, we’re here. Even Hemingway.” Pete chuckled as Hemingway made his way into the room.

This got a smile from Katherine, and even a quiet laugh, and Pete was satisfied with this.

“What do I do?” She asked him for advice, as she wiped away the tears that were ready to spill.
“Go to the police. Even if he is the police, there has to be at least someone there that has a fucking brain. I’ll go with you if you want.” He offered, readying himself to get up and get ready.

Katherine laid there, still staring at the ceiling this whole time, seeming to think about everything and nothing all at once.

“Okay.” She said suddenly as she crawled out of the big bed and began to look for her converse and black hoodie she threw off as she entered the room the previous night.

Pete didn’t say anything, but got ready himself, finding a clean shirt and pants buried in his closet.

---

The ride to the police station was quiet. Both of them stared out the window at the places they’ve seen a million times before. The cab driver was somewhat intimidated to break the silence, considering he was driving the both of them to the police station. Pete paid the fare as Katherine stood on the steps that led up to the station, waiting for him. As they were both in front of the glass doors, Katherine hesitated, placing her hand on the silver handle, but not opening it. “I’m right here.” Pete said the first words he spoke to her ever since they were in bed. Katherine pulled the door open and walked up to the front desk where Cindy, the receptionist, was sitting.

“Heya Katherine…Who did that to you?” She asked as she noticed the bruises and red puffiness.
“Brian.” Katherine said nonchalantly as Cindy covered her mouth with her hand in shock.
“I’d like to file a report. And I request a female officer please, maybe officer Lindsey Rodriguez?” Katherine suggested as Cindy just nodded and started to dial the phone.

Lindsey came out front and brought Katherine and Pete to a quiet room in the back and sat them both down. Katherine was questioned about when and where the events took place. She didn’t even think about where until she was asked. After she described where she came from when she was walking away, she noticed Pete clenching his fists.

“Please if you don’t mind, describe the events that occurred after you left the Hard Rock.” Lindsey said as she was writing on a notepad.

Katherine explained how she ended up leaving the Hard Rock for a breath of fresh air, and then Brian arrived. She told her that Brian put her in hand cuffs, and proceeded to drive around town for a while, even pulling a couple people over for tickets. Then they arrived at some park not too far off from the Hard Rock, and she told them that she didn’t really remember what happened next because she didn’t will herself to.

“I just ended up like this…” Katherine said bluntly as Lindsey scribbled all of this down.
“If you don’t mind, we can use pictures and a rape kit for evidence.” Lindsey suggested.
“Yeah, that’d be nice.” Katherine smiled as she looked at Pete and told him that she would be right back.
“I always knew there was something wrong with him. But I really didn’t think anything like this would happen.” Lindsey confessed quietly as she was looking for the camera.
“It’s fine…I don’t think anyone thought something like this would happen.” Katherine said honestly as she stripped off her shirt.

After the pictures, and after the rape kit, a warrant was set out for Brian’s arrest. The police department was in a state of shock, that one of their own had committed such crimes. Katherine left with Pete, back to her own home, debating on what to say to her father.

“Thank you, so much.” Katherine said to Peter as she was going to leave the cab.
“Call me…Whenever you need me.” He told her as she smiled at him and closed the door behind her.

---

“What happened?” Katherine’s father asked her, right when she opened the door.
“I’ll explain later, where’s Amity?” She asked as she looked for the two year old.
“Upstairs taking a nap. Did that bastard do this to you?” Her father asked as he put his hand on her shoulder to stop her and get a good look at her beaten up face.
“Brian? Yes.” She said as she fixed her gaze on a wall.
“There’s a warrant out for his arrest…” Katherine said as her father nodded.
“I should have known this was coming.” Her father sighed as she disagreed.
“How would you know and not me?” Katherine asked him as he rubbed his face.
“It’s my job to know, and protect you, and I didn’t…” He trailed off, his voice getting softer.
“Dad, I’m fine. None of this is your fault, so don’t blame yourself, okay? Please?” Katherine pleaded since this was not what she had in mind when she told her dad.
“If this is your fault, it’s mine too because I should of saw this coming before anyone.” She continued, and stared at the wall.
“What about this other guy…” Her dad asked skeptically as Katherine smiled.
“He’s just a friend. An amazing friend at that…” He just nodded as they both stood there in deep thought.
“Please don’t tell me you’re going to work tonight.” He asked suddenly as she sighed.
“Yes, I am. I can’t just stop living my life.” She stated as she started to climb up the staircase.
“God damn it Katherine why do you have to be so strong?”
“Because no one else will be.” She called to him as she shut her bedroom door.

---

To: Peter W.

Peter, it wud be cool if u came to the club 2 nite. I’m still going 2 work and I just want some 1 else other than Jonathon to look after me. If not its alright.


Katherine sat in the living room with her daughter watching some show and sitting in her work attire for the night.

“Mommy are you gonna come home tonight?” Her daughter asked her as she stared at the T.V.
“Of course I am sweetie. Last night was a complete accident, but I will be home tonight, alright?” Katherine smile and brushed her hand against Amity’s cheek.

From: Peter W.

Of course I’ll come. R u sure u still want 2 work 2 nite? Not saying that u shouldn’t, but I felt I should ask anyways.

To: Peter W.

Yes I’m sure. Thank u for being so…Sincere. I’ll see u soon.


“Mama you’re gonna be late.” Amity said as she pointed at a clock.
“Thank you baby.” Katherine smiled and kissed her cheek, and ran her hand through her short hair.

Katherine grabbed her black pea coat on the way out, and kissed her dad on the cheek. He didn’t say anything or show any emotion towards the action. She left in a cab, the same route she was so accustomed to traveling.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was gone for a month and five days = lack of updates.
I'm already to chapter 17 for this story, in my notebook.
Just need to type it all out.
Enjoy..Please ? (: