Sequel: Can't Have You

From Gumboots To Jimmy Choo's

"Because you're my sister.."

Two days had passed since Nick and I had hung out at the stream. It was fast becoming a routine for us. It was finally Thursday, the day where I would be filmed singing for all of New Zealand to watch with three judges.. Well, judging me really.

It was five in the afternoon and I was in my bedroom, frantically trying to pull in some practice.

"Sing to me the song of the stars
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again.

When it feels like my dreams are so far,
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again.

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray

To be only yours, I pray
To be only yours I know now...

You're my only hope,"


"Zoe, you're going to wreck your voice if you kept singing over and over again." Nick warned, stretched out comfortably on my bed as he watched me sing. I had no problem singing in front of him now, I actually constantly woke him in the morning with my singing.

"I've got to get this perfect Nick!" I hissed, getting frustrated with myself.

"It is perfect!" He protested, "But you really need to get ready, you have to be there soon."

I rolled my eyes but let out a deep sigh, "Fine, you'd best be out of here when I finish my shower."

He saluted me, grinning, "Yes ma'am."

I rolled my eyes, grinning at him before leaving the room. I was soon stopped outside the bathroom by Chace.

"What?" I asked as he stared at me strangely. Unexpectedly, he pulled me into his chest and hugged me, kissing the top of my head softly, "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He smiled down at me, "Just wanted to give you a hug. You are my baby sister."

I smiled, "And you, my big brother."

"You'll be the best tonight. I know." He said softly.

I looked up at him, "How would you know?"

"Because you're my sister and no-one is better than you."

I bit my lip and looked into Chace's eyes, "Thank you."

"No problem. Now go get ready." He smiled, ruffling my hair before walking away. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. I finally allowed a couple of tears to fall before wiping them away.

What would I honestly do without my brother's?

I showered and washed quickly, coming out of the shower smelling like mangoes and wild berries. I left my hair out this time, drying it in the bathroom. My hair curled softly, making a nice tousled effect. I changed back into the outfit I first wore to the original auditions (having been told to do so) and soon I was ready.

I paced nervously in my room, my computer playing 'Defying Gravity' from the musical 'Wicked'. It was powerful and strong, confident. Something I wasn't right now.

I sang softly along with it. I kept replaying it and replaying until finally I was belting the song out with full gusto, my body rippling with the feeling the song gave me, I even had goose bumps from my own singing.

"So if you care to find me,
Look to the western sky!

As someone told me lately,
Everyone deserves the chance to; fly!

And if I'm flying solo,
At least I'm flying free!"
I sung powerfully, using all the strength in my voice.

"To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me -

Tell them how I
Am defying gravity!
I'm flying high
Defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!"


I soon finished the song, breathing deeply. I was ready.

This, was my time to shine.