I Control Almost Everything

Exquisite Torture

Chapter Three

It’s been a week since I talked to Warren about the dance, and I still don’t know how he feels. He’s still going with me, but not actually going with me. I sighed at I sat down at our lunch table.

“What is it?” Magenta groaned.

“Hm?” I looked at her questioningly.

“Oh come on, something’s obviously got you down, and if I don’t get it out of you now, Layla will get it out of you in front of everyone. So spill.”

“It’s Warren.”

“Yeah, he tends to aggravate people from time to time; what’d he do now?”

“It’s what he hasn’t done!” I exclaimed exasperatedly. “I talk to him about the dance a week ago and he hasn’t brought it up since!”

“Then talk to him about it,” she stated bluntly, “maybe it just hasn’t occurred to him.”

“But then I’ll seem too eager,” I sighed.

“Cherry, I’m saying this to you as your friend- you’re acting stupid. You’ve never been afraid of guys before. Sure, Warren could roast you alive…although he probably wouldn’t, but you could hit back twice as hard. What I’m saying is, don’t let this bother you. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“Exactly, never let a boy get you down!” Layla chirped while smiling.

I turned around so fast that my back cracked and my hair almost slapped Magenta in the face, “When did you get here?”

“Right now, I could tell that you were having boy problems by the way you looked. Don’t worry though; the guy will definitely be jealous when he sees you at the dance with Warren.”

Magenta and I rolled our eyes at each other, “Of course,” we muttered.

Layla gave us puzzled looks, but sat down anyway. As the rest of our group arrived, lunch picked up its pace and my awkward conversation with Magenta may as well not have happened. I won’t bore you with the details, you go to lunch at school, and you know what goes on. We ate, we talked, then Layla dropped the bomb for Magenta and I.

“We still need to go dress shopping, the dance is only a week away,” she reminded us.

“I’ve still got my dress from last year and it still fits, I’ll just put that on,” Magenta said boredly as she tried to weasel her way out of going.

“Works for me,” Zach agreed.

Layla gasped, “You can’t wear the same dress as last year!”

I closed my eyes and rolled them. This is what I mean. I love Layla like a sister, really I do, but she can be a little too excited about well, everything. I then braced myself, any second now she was going to gush about her ideas for what I should wear.

“Cherry, I know this cute little boutique by the Paper Lantern. The dresses in that shop are darling,” she told me.

Warren snorted, “You won’t like anything in there Tristen, trust me,” he murmured.

“Warren, the store is for girls, I’m sure that she’ll find something. If not, there are other dress shops here in Maxville.”

That scared me, I do not want to get dragged around town looking for a stupid dress, “Of course I’ll find something there Layla, why wouldn’t I?” I lied with a smile, kicking Warren in the shin as I did so.

“You are going to look beautiful for that dance.”

“Careful Layla, you’re starting to sound like a mother,” Zach said gently, Magenta snickered beside him.

“Guys,” Will said in warning, but it sounded more like a whine. My brother may be strong, but intimidating he is not.

I spent the remainder of my day dreading the end of it. I hadn’t been able to get out of going dress shopping, but thankfully Magenta had been dragged into it also. A huge part of me didn’t want to go, and a small part of me was glad that I was going to get this thing over with.

So here I sit in Superhero Physics, which is far more boring than it already sounds. This is a class that informs you about the details about all of the powers known to Sky High. Not only do you learn about powers, but we occasionally experience them first hand. These powers of course exclude sidekicks, last year Magenta bit somebody.

Needless to say, I was positively thrilled when the final bell rang, until I realized where I would be going.

Three hours later I found myself in one of the dressing rooms at the boutique previously described by Layla. She was waiting while magenta and I tried on dress after dress. I heard Magenta give a loudly exaggerated groan as she realized that one of her designated dresses actually fit her. I twisted around in the mirror to get a better look at myself. Although it pained me to say it, the dress I was currently wearing did look beautiful on me.

“It’s okay Mag, I’m coming out too,” I laughed and stepped into the fluorescent lighting.

Magenta looked good. This dress was very similar to the colors she always wore. Her dress was strapless with a velvet corset bodice and layer of black white and purple taffeta fabric forming a floor length skirt.

“You don’t think that it’s too fluffy?”

“Not on you Magenta, you make that dress look good!”

She rolled her eyes at me and went back into the tiny room so she could change back into her normal clothing. Now it was my turn to be scrutinized by Layla. My dress had a tight halter-style burgundy satin bodice and a cream colored silk floor length skirt with a slit up the side that came to just above my knee. It was simple, but I actually did like it. And so did Layla, so Magenta and I were both done. This was very good considering that when we were done we had planned on going to the Paper Lantern, and I was starving. So Magenta and I paid for our dresses and we left the tiny shop to go eat something.

“Don’t you people ever get tired of this place?” asked Warren as he came up to take our order.

“With your charming personality here to greet us? Never,” I grinned cheekily.

“I take it you girls want the usual?”

“Please.”

“So how did shopping go?”

“We’re alive,” Magenta commented.

“”I’ve never seen Tristen in a dress before,” he pointed out.

“But you will this Friday. Wait, this Friday already?” I gasped out.

“Yeah,” he chuckled. “I’ll let you try to breath while I get your food,” and with that he walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey. Sorry this took so long, school and exams got in the way. Also, I know that in the begining I said that I would try to update every Friday. Scratch that- I'll update as often as I can, and I don't know how often that would be. Please have patience...and banners or pictures would be great!
Much love♥
Zaki