Clash Of The Rockbands

The Persuasive Encounter

I didn’t bump into James at all for about two weeks. My nervousness slowly wore away over those two weeks, but I still didn’t feel prepared to talk to him again. I knew I couldn’t avoid him my whole life, and to tell you the truth I never wanted to either. But I wanted to postpone our meeting for as long as possible. So I stopped staying at the recording studio late. I didn’t venture away from our little section of the studio during the day. I only ran into Syn and Zacky a few times, and we just said our hellos and moved on down the hall.

But soon I found myself being forced to work late. Being a perfectionist and all, I spent a lot more time on one song than the other band members did. That pretty much forced me to work more so I could meet the song deadline. It was on one of those nights that I clashed with James again.

“I’ll regret this later tonight when I try to go to sleep, but I don’t give a damn,” I muttered as I reached into the studio’s refrigerator and pulled out an energy drink. I straightened up, closed the refrigerator door, and turned around just in time to see James slink silently into the kitchen.

I instantly froze, but forced myself to act natural. Men might be able to smell fear, like horses and dogs. I nonchalantly pulled the tab up on the drink and took a casual sip. James completely ignored me, walking over to the pantry. He pulled out a box of crackers, looked to make sure the expiration date hadn’t passed by, and then opened the box and pulled out a roll of crackers.

“You haven’t stayed late that often these past two weeks.” James said out of nowhere. He put the box back in the pantry and leaned back against a counter.

“I’ve been caught up with the rest of the band, that’s why.” I answered, taking another sip of my drink even though my throat felt so constricted I doubt I would be able to swallow.

“Oh,” James replied. He opened the roll of crackers and popped one into his mouth.

“Yeah,” I said. I looked down at my watch. “I, uh, better get back to my drum-set. I wouldn’t want it to start feeling like I’m treating it nicely and have stopped beating it for the night.”

I looked up to see that James had disappeared. How strange. But no matter. I wouldn’t have to worry about him anymore.

I turned towards the doorway only to find it barred by James. He stood leaning casually against the doorframe.

“Oh, you need through here?” he asked.

“Uh, a little bit,” I answered nervously. No, nervousness! Leave my voice right now!

“Oh, okay,” James replied. He pushed himself away from the doorframe and then turned. There was just enough space for me to squeeze through if I turned and walked sideways through it.

That fucking bastard, I grumbled in my mind. He’s making me walk near him because he knows I’m nervous. Fuck.

Trying not to show my nervousness on my face, but probably failing horribly, I stepped forward as confidently as possible. I turned smoothly sideways, stepped in between him and doorway, and then out into the glorious openness of the hallway.

“Well, see you later,” I said, slightly relieved. I felt braver now that we weren’t squeezed into such tight quarters.

“Yeah, see you later,” James replied. I power-walked back to the room that contained my drum-set.

“Bass drum, cymbal, snare...cymbal, bass...cymbal,” I muttered to myself a few minutes later. I sat at my drum-set, going through the song one last time just to make sure it sounded right.

Suddenly, the light flickered off, throwing me into darkness.

I glared up at the little glass half-sphere in the middle of the room. Well, at least where I figured it was positioned. I couldn’t see a fucking thing, so I didn’t know exactly where it was.

Power outage, I thought to myself. I sighed and put my drumsticks down on my snare drum. I pushed myself off of my stool and stepped out from behind my drum-set, deciding to head out into the hall to see if the whole place had shut down.

Right as I cleared my drum-set, I felt a body press up against mine.

Huh. Strange. No one had been in the room before...

And this person was seriously popping my personal bubble!

I hadn’t even noticed myself being backed up like a semi truck—minus the annoying beeping—in my confusion until my back pressed against the wall.

Okay, forget strange. This just had to be something a little bit more sinister (Gates! Sorry...)

Lips suddenly pressed against mine, pressing the back of my head against the wall.

Rape! But...what the freak? What would someone be doing in a recording studio at nine at night on a Wednesday?

And then I felt a piercing pressing against the skin halfway between my chin and my lip.

At first, relief flooded my mind.

And then anger.

And then James deepened the kiss and I forgot all about emotion.

Am I such a girl, or what?

No, don’t answer. I am such a girl.

I felt James’s hands settle on my hips, sending an odd little shiver down my spine. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

After fifty billion gazillion years, James pulled his lips away from mine. I saw the outline of his head sort of pull away and give me space. But my arms around his neck kept him from moving too far away.

“So, uh, hello again.” James said after a few more moments.

“Hi,” I replied. “Am I just too irresistible that you just couldn’t help yourself?”

“Not in so many words, but yeah, pretty much,” James answered. Realization suddenly slammed into me.

“You turned off the lights, didn’t you?” I asked accusingly.

“Yeah,” James answered nonchalantly. “Nice touch, wasn’t it?”

“Sure,” I said. “You’re lucky I didn’t go Jackie Chan on your butt.” James chuckled.

“You weren’t resisting at all.” he told me.

“I was confused.” I said defensively. “I couldn’t figure out who would be in a recording studio at nine on a Wednesday night.”

“Oh, I see.” James replied.

A strangely content silence stretched between us. We just stood there, staring at each other. His hands still rested on my hips and my arms were still wrapped around his neck. Slowly, more details of his face came into focus as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I could see a little smile playing across his lips.

Slowly, a thought scrolled across my mind. A kind of entertaining and funny thought.

I began to laugh at the thought. But then I couldn’t stop laughing because of the whole absurd honesty of that thought.

“What?” James asked. He sounded slightly hurt, like he thought I was laughing at him. His little smile quickly slipped off of his face.

“I’m not laughing at you.” I squeezed out between giggles. “It’s just that we aren’t even dating and we’ve kissed each other twice already.”

“We can change that.” James whispered. His face leaned in towards mine and I felt his lips brush teasingly against mine. “And then I wouldn’t have to sneak up on you to get a kiss.”

“Oh, don’t think you can win me over that easily.” I retorted. James pulled away, and I could just barely see his eyebrows rise.

“Are you really sure you want to force me to persuade you?” he asked.

“Persuade me?” I repeated. James nodded. “And how did you plan on doing that?”

In reply, I got another kiss.

“Oh, so you’re going to kiss me until I just agree to be your girlfriend?” I asked.

Another kiss.

“Good luck with that,” I replied.

“I’m grateful for your support.” James said before kissing me again.

“Nope, still not persuaded,” I told him.

“I’m not finished.”

“Well, you need to pick up the persuasive pace because I still have work to do.” Yeah. I know. James Sullivan is kissing me in the dark. Any woman’s fantasy. And I’m shoving it away because of my work. Workaholic much?

“Work can wait, I think.” James whispered, kissing me again. Kiss number six.

Don’t even ask me how I was keeping my head on straight.

Kiss number seven, and then kiss number eight.

Kiss number nine and ten.

“Budging any?” James asked.

“Nope,” I answered.

Kiss number eleven and twelve.

“We’re in the double digits on the kisses now.” I informed him.

“Right,” James murmured as he pressed kiss number thirteen (could it be considered unlucky in this situation?) to my lips.

Okay, I’ll admit it: I was pretty much already his. He had my heart in a vice-like grip. I would never be able to peel his fingers away from my red, pulsing heart.

Unless he did something really, really vile and mean. Then I would just saw his hand off at the wrist. But that’s beside the point.

But back to me already being his. I was just enjoying his lavish kisses too much. Yeah, I know, way to use the poor man. But they were so loving and careful and sweet and absolutely wonderful that I just didn’t know how I would feel if he ever stopped.

Kiss number fifteen...

“Fine,” I sighed. “I’ll be your girlfriend.” But who would be able to resist? I asked myself. “Happy now?”

“More than I’ve ever been,” James whispered. He pressed one last, lingering kiss against my lips and then stepped completely away. He slowly ran the fingertip of his forefinger down my cheek before backing away. He walked over to the doorway and flicked the light on. But he lingered in the doorway, looking like he was trying to find the right words to say something.

“Let me guess.” I said. “You need my phone number?”

“Yeah,” James answered. I stepped over to my music sheets. I tore the corner off of one and grabbed a nearby pen and quickly scribbled my cell phone number onto the paper.

I straightened up, walked up to him, and the pressed the slip of paper into his hand.

We exchanged one last, slow kiss before he backed completely out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyloo.
Abrupt, yes. But hey, they're rockstars. They can do anything they want.

Comments?