Tension's Like a Fire

Chapter 26

In waltzed Stefan looking more cross than he had since this whole thing began. Never had one person so vexed him.

When Jazz laid her eyes on him she whimpered and the fearful tears that seemed ever present in her eyes began to reappear.

She knew his anger was somewhere in the realms of above and beyond what she'd ever imagined from any human being. She also knew that meant very bad things for her.

Fear is natural. Fear is part of the vast array of things that make us human. She realized how human she really was and only wished that there was something special about her that made her a cut above all the rest like Alex, the guys, Sally, and Jenny.

Never had she really wished like this for anything other than her old life back. The one with her mother and father, where they were a happy family. Now she realized that her tragedy was part of what made her who she was. It got her where she was... Well, not really where she was hanging from a wall but to the place where she befriended Sally, Rian, Jack, Jenny, and Zack and to the place where she cared for Alex the way she did. Without her past he'd have never been able to relate to him. To get him to open up to her. They'd still be on square one and that's the last square she'd ever want to be on ever want to be on.

She knew wishing to change things was more useless than anything else but another part of being human struck her. She still needed to pretend to have hope.

No matter how useless hope seems sometimes having a little is better than having none at all.

Even if her hope that she'd somehow become a superhero by wishing for it died she still had the hope that the guys would swoop in to save her.

Of course even that hope was dwindling as she saw the rage thundering through his eyes.

He was going to continue from where he was this morning except with a new chain that looked even rougher and more ready to tear her apart.

"Why won't you believe me when I say I don't have a power?" She managed to whimper out through her tears.

He lashed the chain out just like this morning only barely missing her but she could still feel the air whipping harshly against her cheek.

She whimpered out even louder and her tears flowed heavier.

"Because I know you're lying." He hissed back. "I know Amelia must've taught you enough for you to have planned that this morning. You knew her power came with a price and I'd have to pay said price and you'd be spared for another few hours. Allow me to tell you, time's up Sweetheart."

She clamped her eyes shut and cried harder and tried to brace herself for the pain as she heard him pick up speed with the chains readying himself to really strike her.

The earth seemed to move -like an earthquake- as crashing sounds filled the air accompanied by screams.

Jazz's eyes flew open unable to keep them shut through this new bit of chaos.

Stefan was looking around like the room could crash down on him at any given moment.

Then his look changed to anger, like something dawned on him.

He threw a pointed glare at Jazz and stormed out. He was out for blood and she could see it.

She knew her hope had gotten her somewhere.

More crashing sounded.

Shrill screams cut through the night air like a knife and she knew she was no longer alone.

She knew the boys had arrived to rescue her and at least try to put an end to Stefan once and for all.

Walls behind her started rumbling and crashing and she knew it was Zack taking them out. She knew the screams were Stefan's flunkies too.

Even as a gaping hole was made in the wall behind her she was at ease. She was being saved again, they weren't going to let anything happen to her just like Alex promised. For some reason she never thought to doubt him.

As she expected Zack came walking in through the huge hole that no one she knew but him could have created.

He sent her a kind smile then broke the chains that she was hung by wordlessly.

"Stay behind me." Was spoken once he got her safely down.

She quickly conceded.

With her safely behind him he began forcing the rest of the walls down.

As the final wall fell it revealed everything, the whole place looking like ancient ruins. A great expanse of land covered in rubble.

Amelia led the rest of the guys, Jenny, and Sally toward them. People buried beneath the rocks moaning in pain with every step they took over them.

Most of Stefan's men were beneath their feet but the ones that weren't were being promptly lit on fire by the still livid -even though he could now clearly see Jazz and knew she was safe- Alex. Never in his life had he used his power so heavily.

As everyone reached the place the room Jazz and Jenny had once been trapped in formerlty stood Stefan came flying up from under the wall Zack pushed on top of him chain still wrapped around his wrist.

He used Alex's power bringing the flames all the way down the chain.

It was like a scene straight out of Ghostrider except he wasn't a skeleton in a biker jacket.

His eye that were showing Sally's power were flaming and they could all see it from a mile away, even Jazz.

His eyes fixed on Amelia, blaming her for them knowing so much.

He whipped the chain at her striking her right across the right side of her face from her forehead down her eye to her cheekbone.

The links of the chain cut into her skin an the heat from the fire cauterized the wound so only a few trickles of blood escaped.

The chain flew back behind him for only long enough for her to let one small shriek of pain pass her lips and for her right hand to fly to touch the scorched skin.

Of course the chain flew back catching her 'round her arm. He was really controlling the chain with another of his stolen powers. The chain wound up her arm doing exactly what it did to her face.

It coiled around her arm and dug deep, she screamed, she cried, because there was nothing else she could do.

Stefan pulled her toward him with the sharp blazing hot chain forcing it deeper into her flesh.

She never saw what would happen to her in her visions or she'd have sat this one out.

He pulled her so she was right in front of him and spoke in his cruelest tone. "You could have sat next to me when I ruled this shithole world. But you chose this, and I hope it's served you well because darling it's what ended you."

Before he could do exactly what he intended to do Rian -who seemed to be her constant defender- moved to her side with all his miraculous speed and unwound the chain faster than Stefan could comprehend. With that same speed he pulled her back next to Jazz.

Jazz moved herself behind Alex not fearing the fire that eminated off of him. She just had to know he was close.

"Didn't you boys learn your lesson yesterday?" He viciously mocked them. "Are you even fully healed yet pyro?"

Alex seethed. He was ready for another fight dispite the fact he still felt the aches that told the stories of yesterday's fight.

"I'm good enough to finally end this." Alex spoke through gritted teeth.

Stefan couldn't stop his laughter even through his anger. "I'm sure boy but weren't you ready to do that yesterday?"

Alex thrust his arms forward launching flames hotter than any he may have ever used before.

Stefan just defended with ice, creating a wall of steam between them.

"Boy you know you have to do better than that!" Stefan screamed.

Now shards of the building flew at him with fire. Some rocks pitched by Zack some flung by Jack's mind.

Still Stefan blocked and defended himself with ease.

"Seeing as you children aren't good enough to beat me I may as well just end it." His mockery never ended.

Before the guys could even process what he'd said he sent what he intended to be the death blow for Alex -whom seemed to be the greatest challenge- with the boy's very own power no less.

Jazz was never a very observant girl but she did see what was coming for Alex a mile away.

No thought went into the action of throwing her body in front of his to shield him from the flames. She'd rather die herself than see another person she cared for die.

She braced herself for what she assumed would be a painful death, something she always expected really.

But they always say expect the unexpected.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about any errors I had to re-typre it because we could find a jumpdrive.

Happy New Year! We're almost ending this just like the year... but this won't be over tonight

Here's the link for Catherine's spin off
I'm Gonna Break Down These Walls Subscribe! The first chapter will be post when the last one of this is posted!