Within the Forest...

Avoiding the Pools

"C'mon, Swai! We're going to go hang out by the pools!" Swaifae's closest friend Aura called. The Pool's? Swaifae shook her head, flying away. Aura frowned in confusion. What was that all about?

"Swaifae! Wait! Why are you avoiding the pools?" Aura called, chasing her friend as she flew strangely up a tree. Swaifae did not answer. Aura was more than confused.

"SWAIFAE!!! Will you just TALK TO ME!?" Aura screamed up at her fleeing friend. Swaifae eventually did stop. She was at the top of a tree weeping. Aura was beyond confused or befuddled.

"What's wrong?" she asked in a helpless voice. Swaifae just shook her head.

"I'm never going near the pools again!" She screamed, staring up at the blue sky. Aura was shocked. Avoid the pools!?

"You can't be serious! Why would you want to avoid the pools? No faeri has ever done that!" Aura argued, wanting to know why her closest friend was going to avoid the most wonderful Pools.

"I... you have to promise not to tell ANYONE!" Swaifae said, turning to face Aura. Her face was read and her eyes puffy from sobbing. Aura nodded, flying closer to Swaifae landing on the same branch as her. Her wings were tired after all.

"I swear I won't tell anyone!" Aura promised, poking the little circle at the center of her top wing (that was like crossing her heart). Swaifae nodded. Aura gave her her word. If she didn't speak, Aura was going to be ticked off.

"I... I... I TOUCHED THE POOL!!!" She half shouted half sobbed. Aura gasped as she fell off of the tiny branch with shock. She continued to fall even as Swaifae shouted 'AURA' at her. It wasn't until she was ten feet from the ground when her wings came back to life after that shock. She was back at the top of the branch in two minutes, her wings exhausted but she kept them in use. Aura grabbed Swaifae's shoulders and shook her.

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? HAVEN'T YOU HEARD THE STORIES!?" She shouted. Aura rarely ever got angry. Only a few people have seen her lose her temper. The only reason she was now was because she was terrified for her friend.

"I'm sorry! I-I-I'm s-s-sor-rrrry-y-yyy...!" She sobbed, falling to her knees on the tiny branch she was standing on after Aura set her back down. Aura was worried, panicking, remembering the stories of those who had broken the reflection of the pools of raindrops. Each one ended with a death near the pools. She refused to let that happen to her friend! Even if they had to run, if they had to fly far from their beloved forest to the world beyond theirs she would. She would drag her friend kicking and screaming if it meant she lived. She refused to live without her closest friend.

"OK, here's what we're going to do..." Aura said. Swaifae looked up at her. Hope was in her red, puffy and wet eyes.

"We're going to... run away." She said, her voice broke at the last two words. Swaifae shook her head.

"NO!" She screamed. Leave their beautiful forest?

"We have to." Aura said, finally giving her wings a break and sitting down on the branch. She felt light headed.

"NOOO!!!" Swaifae argued, standing up. Aura stared her down.

"I want to give this story a different ending other than death!" She demanded. They sat in silence for several minutes, Aura was going over what they would do, where they would go.

"OK..." Swaifae finally said. They talked for hours on how they were going to do this, where would they go where would they stay, sleep, things like that. One thing they knew for sure was that they would have to avoid anything within the forest...
♠ ♠ ♠
Really the main character in this story is Aura. I just thought it'd be different to have the beginning of the story start with someone who wasn't the main character.