Break Down

06

“What do you want from me?” I said taking Alex’s hand away from my shoulder.

“A talk”

“What do you think we’re doing now?”

“Arguing”

“Very funny Alex”

“But you’re not even laughing”

“Why do you have to be so damn annoying?!” I started shouting.

“I’m sorry.”

“You always think your apologies can erase everything but to tell you the truth, it doesn’t change a single thing”

“Since when did you get so mean?”

“Since you cheated on me!” I said shouting and I ran away. I was out of control and I just wanted to be alone. I went to the park but Alex came along.

“Why can’t you just leave me alone?” I said. Tears started streaming down my face and I started crying.

“I can’t leave you alone. I was stupid and I can’t move on. Five months two weeks and eleven days. Twenty missed calls and thirty nine text messages. Doesn’t that mean anything to you?”

“No I guess not. You cheated on me and I think you’re out of your mind if you think I’d ever forgive you.”

“Heather, I was stupid and drunk. I didn’t know what I was doing. Heather please, just forgive me”

“No Alex, what you did was unforgivable and I don’t see why I have to forgive you”

“A second chance would be nice don’t you think?” Alex asked.

“You think I’d give you a second chance?”

“Maybe”

“You are out of your mind. I won’t forgive you and you ask for a second chance? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Even dumber than your excuse about cheating!”

“How can I make it up to you then?” Alex said starting to get angry. Clearly he was hurt inside but he tried his best to hide it. But I saw right through him just like all the other times when he tried to hide things from me. He was hurt and I knew it.

“You can start by leaving me alone”

“Okay.” He said and a tear fell from his cheek. He turned around and walked out of the park.

‘Okay’ the last word I think he’d ever say to me. I cried harder and I didn’t know why. My stomach started to feel weird and my knees started shaking. I sat on the ground just thinking of what could have happened if I never broke it off with him.

I lay down on the grass and I just looked at the stars. Tears still streaming down my face. I closed my eyes and when I opened them, it was bright. I slept in a park. Another first. My eyes were puffy and my back hurt. I got up and walked home. I opened the front door and Jack tackled me to the ground.



“I thought you died!” he said helping me off the ground.

“Why is it that every time I come home late or if I don’t come home at all, everyone thinks I died?”

“Because we worry” my mother said embracing me.

“I’m sorry Heather. I shouldn’t have treated you that way.” My mother apologized and my eyes widened.

“I know this is unusual but I realized that I was wrong and that I should trust you more.” she continued

“Mom, I’m sorry for screaming at you and for everything I’ve done but can I stay home today? I don’t feel like going to school with my aching back.” I said rubbing my eyes.

“Okay. I’ll go call the school then” she said going to the kitchen where the telephone is located.

“What did you do to her?” I asked Jack.

“I talked to her.”He said smiling his evil smile.

“Well, I guess you gave her a very long discussion because I never thought she would do something like that”

“You just don’t know her well. Anyway, where did you sleep last night?”

“In a park”

“Oh…Alex told me all about that”

“Does he seriously tell you everything?”

“Of course because I ask him to”

“Whatever imma go to bed my back is screaming for a bed”

“Sleep tight then” Jack said.

I went up into my room and changed into my pjs. I got into my bed and I shut my eyes.