Unpretty

Join me in death

PROLOUGE

Baby join me in death...
Baby join me in death...
Baby join me in death...

We are so young
our lives have just begun
but already we're considering
escape from this world

And we've waited for so long
for this moment to come
we're so anxious to be together
together in death

Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death

This world is a cruel place
and we're here only to lose
so before life tears us apart let
death bless me with you

Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death

This life ain't worth living...
This life ain't worth living...
This life ain't worth living...
This life ain't worth living...

Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die?
Baby join me in death
Won't you die tonight for love?
Baby join me in death

Baby join me in death...

TWO YEARS LATER...

There was a breeze whipping round the cemetry, stirring the forlorn black leaves that had fallen to the floor. Despite this, a golden sun peaked through the clouds overhead, illuminating two figures sitting on a bench in front of a grave. One of the figures was Vicken Gossow. He hadn't changed. He was still pale, with dark eyes and chocolate-brown hair and his left ear pierced. He was still wearing his purple denim jacket and skinny jeans and black trainers. The only thing that was different was his height. A rescent growth spurt had left Vicken at six foot, for once in his life taller than his friends. This made him even more clumsy, forever tripping over his feet, that seemed to get in the way a lot. Still the same old Vicken.
The other figure was a girl-Ann-Marie Brett. She looked ill in the sunlight, yet still as beautiful as she was two years ago. Her long black hair plunged down to her slim waist, and her large blue eyes were chipped with silver. She was wearing a long, layered black dress, with laced-up black army boots and black tights. Her bare arms were sheet-white, the wrists full of scars. They had multiplyed since the loss, so much so you couldn't see her veins anymore. The scars stood out against her pearly skin. She looked like a ghost, as if she could drift away in the breeze. Sometimes, she felt like one.
Ann-Marie was clutching a bunch of red roses in her lap. She cleared her throat, and Vicken rose and walked away, up to the cemetry gates. Ann-Marie got off the bench, kneeled on the grassy turf and lay the roses of the grave.
" It's been a busy week, Frank," she said. " Amy and Adam have been walking everywhere, driving Pete and Lindsey demented. Craig and Macalya got engaged the other day, so they're going to have a big party. Jorden and Tammy had their second kid-another girl, a sister for Megan. Her name's Petal, and she's got long curly hair, just like Jordne. Scotty and Rachel are getting married next month, and I'm going to be bridesmaid, as well as Emerald. Bobby's wanted to be bridesmaid too-he's a funny little kid.Cathy's still going out with that skater lad, Marc. Morgs is seeing Andy. Maddi's got a boyfriend too, a punk called Zip. He's cool. They say hi."
Ann-Marie looked down at her hands. She often talked to Frank, as if he was still there. He was still part of her life, even though he wasn't actually there.
"I've got loads of tests in school, so Vic is teaching me Algebra. I still don't get it. You know what I'm like. Still stupid. Still unpretty."
Ann-Marie could almost hear his scorning voice-' Honestly, Annie! You're not unpretty! You are beauitiful. Listen to me, cuz I'm always right.' Ann-Marie grinned. It was just her mind, but it comforted her.
" I'm writing songs," she said. " I love that one you wrote for me. 'Not Your Star'. It's great. But you are my star, Frankie. You are an angel. Promise. Listen to me cuz I'm always right."
Ann-Marie kissed her fingertips and pressed them to the top of the gravestone.
" I love you, Frank. Always."
She slowly got to her feet and began walking away. As she walked, the tears fell down her cheeks, black, like the leaves. Her boots crunched on the dewy grass, and the silver heart locket with a new chain swung round her neck. The black diamond ring sparkled on her finger. All these reminders. Even if she wanted to forget Frank, she couldn't. She could never forget his big golden eyes, the colour of an early sunset, his long raven hair, wavy from the rain, his ghostly skin, translucent and frail, his touch, his smile, his kiss. She could never forget the things he said to her, the songs he sung to her. He would always stay with her. Always.
Ann-Marie walked up to Vicken. She loved him, but she never could love him as much as Frank. Never. It disappointed her, but Vicken understood. He knew why. He would never love anyone as much as he loved Annie.
Ann-Marie took Vicken's hand and they walked away. Ann-Marie had given up hope on Frank coming back, on hearing another Frank had died, not her's. She had stopped thinking he would walk into her bedroom one night. She had stopped believing he was alive-she knew he was dead. It didn't make any difference. She still loved him. She had kept all of his things, even his sketchbook. She took it everywhere with her, in her big patched shoulder bag. Across the front, in big black letters, was the title of one of his favourite songs -'Join Me In Death'.
" One day, Frank," she whispered gently. " One day."

-THE END-