Status: Currently stopped working on.

Jecht

Last Night

I opened the door and the heat immediately hit me, like it did in Ryan's house.

I walked up the stairs to my room and threw my bag on my bed... which was made neatly. I felt the strangest look come to my face. Why in the hell is my bed made? I then looked more closely at my room. It was clean. What the bloody hell is going on here? “Mom!” I yelled, waiting for a response which never came “You did not clean my room!” I yelled even louder. I didn't hear her respond, but I heard something in the kitchen. I immediately put my hands on top of my head and pretended to pull my hair out. I sighed angrily and made my way to the kitchen.
What's going on!
Mother... was baking. I immediately stopped when I saw her in that red and white apron, taking out... “Oh... my... Bob... Are those cookies?” I asked taking a step forward. She placed the cookie sheet full of chocolate goodness onto a rack, placed about 1 inch above the stove burner. She looked up with a smile and nodded.
I ran over to her side and placed my left hand on her forehead, “Mother, are you sure you're alright?” I asked probably to fast for her to understand me. She gently placed my hand back to my side. “Jecht, I”m happier then I've ever been.” She took a cookie from the sheet and placed it on the cooling rack. “Let me have my moment.” she said as if she was telling me a secret.
What happened last night?
I slowly walked over to the other side of the counter. I slowly took a cookie, and placed it on the counter. I watched her while she placed the cookies on the sheet to cool. She was taking off the last cookie; I had to break the silence. “So, where were you last night?” I asked as I finally brought the cookie to my mouth to eat it. I wasn't worried to where she was the night before, now I was just curious.
“I went out.” she said confidently, taking the now empty cookie sheet and placing it in the sink. I felt my jaw drop, and the cookie fell from my mouth and onto the counter. “You what!” I exclaimed, I then felt the biggest smile I probably had ever had come to my face, “You mean... like with another man!” I whisper yelled, as if it were a secret. The way she smiled and nodded reminded me of a high school girl, telling one of her best friends that the coolest guy in school asked her out. “Wow, so that's why my room's clean.” I said as I looked down and around, still with the smile on my face. “His name's Mark.” she said, not as excited, but like she was nervous, “And he's coming over for dinner tonight.” she said, ending with a smile. “No way!” I said as I stood up and ran over to her, hugging her tightly. “I think you'll like him.” she whispered into my shoulder. I released myself from the hug and looked into her eyes, “Well, I think it's only fair, that if your boyfriend gets to come over, then mine does also.” I said playfully, raising my right hand and softly placing it on my chest, looking somewhat sincere. She nodded and smiled as she turned her head to the window, looking outside. “It's a deal then.” I said, nodding once. She nodded again, still with a smile on her face.
She looked good. Younger; happier. Her face was brighter, you could see in her eyes that she had changed in a good way. I could deal with her being happy, and with the baking, but I think I would have to tell her that cleaning my room was going just a little too far.