Status: Finished! FoREVer

Picture Perfect

Happily Ever After

August 2009

I leaned back on my elbows, letting my head fall back so that the California Sun could warm my sun-kissed skin and take away all my problems. It had been a long and stressful day. Luckily for me, the boys had entertained themselves well all day and did not get into too much trouble. I smiled as they ran around with our black lab mix, Ophelia. She was a good dog that mostly kept them in line. I say mostly because the boys are only seven. Their teen years would be hell, of that much I was certain.

I sighed and closed my eyes, letting the sun warm my tired body. I could still hear the waves crashing underneath the boys and Ophelia. When their noise faded from me, my eyes instantly shot open and I looked all around for them. I spotted the boys running over to the silhouettes of two people standing off in the distance. Ophelia was chasing them. From what I could hear, it sounded as if she were chastising them. I instantly got to my feet and ran in that direction.

“Jon! Will!” I yelled as I got closer to them. “What have I told you about talking to strangers?!” I chastised. “Sorry about that,” I added to the two strangers before glaring back at my sons.

“But, Mum,” Jon whined. “It’s The Rev! He’s not a stranger!”

“Yea, Mum, it’s the Rev!” Will chorused.

The taller of the two strangers chuckled. “I don’t mind, really, Miss,” he said as he autographed two napkins.

“Yea, but- Jimmy? Jimmy Sullivan, is that you?” I interrupted myself. He looked like a more mature and more heavily tattooed version the Jimmy I knew.

“Anna?” he questioned before seizing me in a bear hug. “It’s been forever! Howareyou? Whathaveyoubeendoing?” he rattled off at warped speed.

“Jimmy, let the poor woman down. You’re suffocating her.” The petite blonde to his right said.

“Thank you,” I said once he released me. “I’m Anna,” I added, extending my hand to her.

“Leanna,” she introduced herself while taking my hand. “I’m this idiot’s wife,” she added while nudging him.

I smiled. They looked so happy. “Anna, I used to be classmates with him.”

Jimmy scoffed. “You’re the reason I actually went to class.”

I gave him a playful glare.

“Are you okay, boys?” he asked, cocking his head to the side.

I looked down at my sons, who wore identical confused expressions.

“Mum, you just got ten times cooler,” Jon said.

“Yea, I’m glad dad found you when he did. My other mommy wasn’t nearly as cool as you. I mean, you know the fucking Rev!”

“William!” I chastised. “Where did you learn that word?”

He shrugged. “Dad told me.”

Jimmy gave me a confused expression.

“Step son,” I mouthed, pointing to Will.

Jimmy nodded and crouched down to both of my sons. “Don’t curse, especially in front of your mom. That’s not cool. She’s too awesome to be worrying about you two heading down the wrong path and getting into a whole host of bad stuff. Believe me, I did the same thing. If it wasn’t for your mom, I wouldn’t be where I am today. So, do you guys promise to not say any more curse words?”

The two ten year olds nodded enthusiastically. “We promise.”

I smiled and nodded. “You two go get our stuff. Daddy should be home soon. And take Ophelia with you.” I told them politely.

They nodded and scooted off.

“So, the douche bag really died, then? I heard that you killed him.”

I laughed at the old rumor that the Sinclaire’s spread in the wake of his death. “No, I didn’t. I’m not that much a bitch. I was actually with my dad in London when Chris died. I told him that his mistress was psycho, but he didn’t believe me until she rammed his letter opener into his jugular.” I shook my head. “Very nasty mess to clean. We had to get a completely new carpet, it was so ruined.”

Leanna gasped. “Oh my, how can you say that so calmly?”

I shrugged and cast a quick look to my sons. “It’s easy. I didn’t love him. Never did. We were forced into an arranged marriage. Until death do us part. I’m just worried about Jon’s mental health. He’s the one that found his father. For a while, he wouldn’t speak to anyone, but then he met Will, and he’s been recovering slowly.”

“How long ago was that?”

“Three years next month.” I said somberly. Even if I didn’t really care for Chris all that much, he was still the father of my child. “Yea, but it’s okay, because now I’m married to man that I actually love and he gave me another beautiful son.” I smiled, casting an adoring look over at the boys who were slowly inching their way up to me. Ophelia was helping them, of course, by dragging the two boogey boards behind her.

“They are beautiful,” Leanna murmured.

I could tell that she wanted children. “But what about you?” I asked Jimmy. “What have you been up to all these years?”

“I’m in a band.” Jimmy beamed. “A band that your sons know, apparently.”

I just shrugged. “Kyle will let them listen to anything if he had his way.”

Jimmy’s smile faltered a little.

“It seems like we both got what we wanted, after all. You always said that you would be this big famous rock star one day.” I smiled over to Leanna. “You’re a lucky one. He’s a great guy and he helped me a lot back in high school.”

“And you?” he asked. “You’re finally happy? You have everything you ever wanted?”

I nodded my head. “Yea, I guess. I married for love, but I just wish that my father could have seen it. He died a little over a week after we got back stateside. It was a very tough time for us.

But, life goes on. I’m poor as can be and couldn’t be happier.”

“But, your father and Chris?”

“Chris squandered his inheritance. As for Dad, no one could find his will. But that’s ok; Josh and I are managing fine. He just graduated from Harvard Law, you know. He loved to argue, so it was just a matter of time that he actually found his true calling.” I peaked over and saw that the kids were ready to leave. “Well, I have to go now. It was nice bumping into you again. Maybe we could do this again?” I asked timidly.

“Of course,” Jimmy said, digging through his shorts. “Hand me your cell and I’ll give you my number,” he said, offering an expensive iPhone to me. We quickly programmed our numbers into each other’s phone and handed them back.

I turned to Leanna. “I’m sorry if this was awkward for you.”

She smiled and laughed. “Don’t worry, Hun. He’s told me all about you. And, honestly, I would love to get to know you better.”

I smiled and nodded my head. “That sounds great. I work Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at UCLA, but any other time I’m free. Well, free as long as you don’t mind the boys tagging along.”

Her face lit up. “I don’t mind at all! I’ve always wanted kids, but our lives have been too hectic to have one.”

I smiled and nodded. “Well, I can’t keep the kids waiting. Just give me a call and we’ll set up a time. Bye!” I called over my shoulder.

Jimmy’s POV

“So, that was the Anna you used to always talk about?”

“Yea, that’s her,” I replied, grabbing my wife’s hand and kissing it.

“She’s beautiful.”

“Yea, she is, but you’re more beautiful.”

“Jimmy, you don’t need to-”

“I’m not,” I smiled. “Promise.”

She laughed and shook her head. “So, how did it feel, after all this time?”

“It felt good. I always wondered what exactly happened to her, and now I know. I’m happy that she’s finally happy.”

“You still care about her?”

“Of course I still care about her. She was a big influence on my life.”

Leanna nodded and swung our interlocked fingers. “Was Chris really that bad?’

“He was always cheating on her, but she didn’t care. He almost raped her at one point…but, I think deep down, he really loved her. He got really defensive of her after her big accident…but other than that, I can’t really say much.”

Leanna nodded and looked up at me. “She’s right, you know.”

“Right about what?”

“That I’m lucky to have you.” She went up on her tip toes and kissed me. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END.

Be proud, I actually wrote a happy ending (for the most part). I know it's not how you pictured it ending, but I had this ending planned out when I first started writing the story. Hope you all enjoyed it! Please leave a comment telling me how you feel about it all. Love/ Hate/ confused. I am happy to answer any questions.

Also, sorry for the long wait. On top of it being tech week, I also took a very nasty fall down the stairs in my tech booth. Don't worry, it's just broken (I wish), just very badly sprained. I'm not allowed to go to class until Monday. No idea what I'm going to do about strike, though.

=D Bree

Oh, and as promised, the first chapter of the prequel to the Gin and Juice series will be up momentarily. It's called "Vodka and Lemonade." Go check it out and subscribe!

Also, please check out Fight for Independence. It's the story I am beta-ing.