Love Spells Magic

Uggs and Sweater Dresses

Image
Banner made by Michaela

I checked myself in my small pocket mirror to see if I still looked somewhat decent enough. My hair was straightened and covered the top of my light green sweater. My jeans hugged my legs as the covered the satin looking black ballet flats. I ran my fingers through my hair one more time before shutting it and putting it back in my purse.

Maya had called me earlier this morning for me to come over. It had sounded urgent on the phone but Maya was determined to only tell me what was going on when I came over. Sound check finished about a half an hour ago leaving us with about three hours to spare to do anything we wanted before we were to report back again to the arena.

I had no idea what some of the other girls were doing. From what I had overheard, some were taking naps while others were going to catch up with phone calls they had to make to family and friends. Thankfully I had taken care of talking to my parents last night after we had come in from the concert.

Giving a quick goodbye to Reiley and Hilary, I bounced down the small stairs of the tour bus and hurried through the chilly air to the Jonas tour bus. I had no idea why I was going to the Jonas family tour bus instead of Maya’s. After our phone conversation this morning I had received a text from her to meet us there instead of her own.

Maya and I had become close friends after she had talked to me the other day we were playing whiffle ball. Even though she was a couple of years younger than me, I found that we had a lot of things in common. But then again, what girls don’t find a friendship in boys, gossip, and fun?

Running up the three stairs, I reached up to knock on the door only to find open ajar. Pushing it open gently I stepped inside.

“Hello?” I called out as I looked around to see if anyone was in here. The tour bus was
deserted except for papers lying here and there and a jacket was thrown over the booths. It didn’t really seem as if five boys lived here with only one woman cleaning up after them.

“Cady?” A voice rang out from past the bunks. Maya walked through the small corridor with Mrs.Jonas behind her.

“Hey.” I set my bag down on the couch and waited for both of them to join where I was at.

“Thank you so much for coming!” Maya exclaimed.

I chuckled. “You’re welcome. But I would be more welcome if I knew why I was here though. Is something wrong?”

Maya shook her head. “No, no. Well kind of.” She frowned. “Do you know who Josh is?”

I racked my brain trying to remember if the name Josh rang a bell. I shook my head. “Nope. Should I know who he is?”

Maya shrugged. “Not really. But here’s the thing. He’s one of the stage crew member’s
sons. He’s fifteen, you’re age.” I cleared my throat. “Sorry you’re almost sixteen, I forgot. Anyway. I met him a couple of weeks ago backstage and we’ve been talking ever since through text. He’s also been calling me a lot.” Maya grinned.

“And,” She said stretching out the word. “He asked me out on a date tonight!” She squealed happiness appearing all over face.

“That’s great, Maya!” I exclaimed.

Maya nodded sheepishly. “Yeah. But see, this is where you come in.” I raised my eyebrows. “I really need your helping getting ready tonight. I really like Josh and I don’t want to screw things up with him.”

I smiled. “No problem.”

Thanks to the fact that the all the boys were out of the tour bus, we had the entire bus to ourselves. Mrs.Jonas assured us that they wouldn’t be back for at least another two hours which gave me plenty of time to get Maya ready.

It took us awhile to pick out a perfect outfit but we finally found one. I had to run back to the dancers tour bus and bring back one of my tops for Maya to wear for tonight. It was a light pink sweater dress that was long sleeved but went down to mid thigh. The material was thick enough to keep someone warm out in the chilly air.

At the moment all three of us, Maya, Mrs.Jonas and I were all sitting in the booth with nail polish bottles spread out all in front of us. We were debating which color to paint her nails and we finally picked a silver shade with sparkles. I scolded Maya for trying to paint her own nails when Mrs.Jonas and I were supposed to do them.

Conversation flowed easily between the three of us. Mrs.Jonas was such a sweet mother that it made it hard to reason why some girls hated their mothers. Nick was lucky to have such an incredible mother like I knew I did.

As we were talking the door to the tour bus flew open letting in the brisk cold air. I shivered even though I was wearing a sweater. We looked up surprised to see the rest of the Jonas family coming into the bus. They weren’t supposed to be back for another two hours.

“Close the door, boys.” Mrs.Jonas chided. “What are you doing back so early?”

“We got done a lot sooner than we thought we would. The acoustics were wonderful in this arena so we finished fairly quickly.” Mr.Jonas explained. He came over and kissed his wife on her forehead before heading towards the back. “I’m going to go get some rest now.”

Mrs.Jonas nodded before turning her attention back to Maya. Frankie came and sat next to Maya and watched us intently. Nick, Joe, and Kevin were watching us warily as they all began to take off their ties.

“What are you doing?” Joe asked slowly.

I scoffed. “Painting Maya’s nails. What does it look like we’re doing?”

Joe rolled his eyes. “I see that. But why?”

“Because of Maya’s da-” I was cut off quickly as Maya slapped her hand over my mouth to stop me from talking. She sent me a warning look and shook her head gesturing for me to stop talking. Nick walked over to me and kissed my cheek before standing behind me and placing his hands on my shoulders. I whispered a quick hello before turning back to Maya.

“What?” Maya looked at me with wide eyes conveying she certainly didn’t want to answer that question. A large smile spread across my face. “They don’t know, do they?” Maya jerked her head no and looked down playing with the strings on her skirt.

“Know what?” Kevin asked. He walked to the mini fridge and opened it pulling out a can of RedBull. He popped the can open and took a drink out of it.

I was enjoying the fact that Maya was slightly uncomfortable with telling her best friends. They were like older brothers to her and like any older brother they were protective over Maya. I had a feeling they weren’t going to be too happy that Maya was going on a date.

“Can I tell them?” I asked nonchalantly. I looked over at Mrs.Jonas and grinned. She was also smiling enjoying the scene that was unfolding in front of us.

Maya sighed. “Fine.

“Anyone want to fill us in?” Joe inquired.

Nick slid into the booth next to Maya and reached across the table and held my hand. He began playing with my fingers as he joined the conversation.

“Maya has a date tonight with Josh.” I watched amused as all three boys froze and stared at Maya.

“A date?” Nick asked flickering his eyes back and forth between Maya and me.

“Yes.” Maya replied absentmindedly

“And who’s Josh?” Kevin questioned.

“One of the tech crew’s son. Now if you excuse us, I’m going to get her ready.” I interrupted grabbing Maya’s hand and dragging her towards the back. She sent me a grateful look and didn’t complain in following me to the back.

Mrs.Jonas let us use her bedroom to help get Maya ready. Nobody was occupying it so we had it to ourselves. Mrs.Jonas left a few minutes after we settled in to go to the boys outside. Maya and I spent the next few minutes fixing her outfit. The sweater dress fit her perfectly after we matched it with Maya’s pair of beige Uggs.

I sat her down to on small stool and turned on the curling iron. Her hair was naturally straight with it only flipped at the ends so it was going to be fairly easy to curl. Silence overpowered us as we enjoyed the lack of talking between us.

Maya broke the silence first. “Cady? Can I ask you a question?”

Looking up from her hair, I made eye contact with her in the mirror. “Sure.”

Maya hesitated before continuing. “How do you know when you love someone?”

The hot curling iron in my hand stopped at the bridge of her hair as I kept it in place. A moment passed as I tried to sort out my answer in my head before speaking. I gave her a small smile as I sorted out my thoughts. I finally replied.

“It just kind of happens. Whenever you see the special boy, everything falls into place. You can’t stop thinking about him. You could be at school or work or wherever, and he’ll always still be wandering through your mind. You’ll be asking yourself, is he thinking of me? Does he care about me at all?

And then when you’re trying to asleep at night, that stupid boy is keeping you awake since he’s on your mind. Whenever you are in his presence and are trying to talk to him, he keeps mesmerizing you with all his little quirks. Maybe the way he plays with his hands or rubs the back of his neck whenever he’s nervous.

But every time you see him, no matter how long you’ve known him, those butterflies in your stomach just keep reappearing causing you to fidget and question yourself. But you know what’s even better? When the boy loves you back. The boy that you’ve put so much love and faith into feels the exact same way about you. And truly, that’s all that matters.”

Maya stared at me and pondered over what I had just said. I honestly couldn’t believe I had just said all that. One phrase that escaped my mouth turned into something so huge and elaborate that I didn’t even know where it was coming from.

“Do you love Nick?”

I smiled to myself as the image of Nick’s sweet face and famous curls popped up in my head. “Yeah. I really love Nick.”

A grin stretched across Maya’s face. “Did you know you’re the only person who could
convince Nick to do something he absolutely hated?”

I chuckled. “I am completely aware of that. His mom mentioned that to me once before too.”

Five minutes later, I was fully finished. If I had to say so myself, Maya looked gorgeous. The bouncing curls framed her face so well and her makeup shined across her face. Her skin was naturally smooth only needing the minimal makeup of mascara, eyeliner, shadow and lip gloss to finish the look.

I handed Maya her boots and grinned. “Those boys are going to drop dead when the see you.”

Maya turned and looked at herself with the mirror. She cautiously fixed her hair nervously and glanced at me. “You really think so?”

“I know so. Now come on. I want to show you off to everybody.” I grabbed her arm and lead her back towards the front of the bus. Everybody was distracted doing their own little thing. The parents were talking busily in the booth with Kevin while Joe, Nick, and Frankie were battling it out on Guitar Hero.

I cleared my throat to get the attention of everybody. Six heads snapped towards me. I watched Joe and Kevin as they both glanced at me and then widened their eyes as they saw Maya.

Mrs.Jonas walked over excitedly to the both of us. “Maya you look beautiful!” She
gushed. “Did you do all of this Cady?”

I nodded. “Yeah. Doesn’t she look amazing?”

Mrs.Jonas smiled. “She sure does. Don’t you dare move. Your mother is going to kill me if I do not get pictures.”

Maya groaned. “Denise, no pictures, please.” Mrs.Jonas pointedly ignored her and went to search for her camera. It was a lost hope with Mrs.Jonas.

“You look really nice Maya.” Mr.Jonas commented. “What do you boys think?”

His sons stole a look with each other before turning to Maya. Frankie was the first one to speak who strolled over to Maya first. “You look really pretty Maya!” He said excitedly.

Maya laughed. “Aw thanks Frankie.” I let my eyes fall on Nick who finally looked up to see who was gazing at him. I jerked my head towards Maya and prompted him to talk.

“Josh is one lucky boy, Maya.” Nick said smiling a half smile. Joe and Kevin agreed with him saying phrases similar to their brothers.

Maya was glowing with happiness with all the fuss that was being revolved around her. Who could blame her? She was about to have the night of her life and she was looking absolutely gorgeous.

“How old did you say this Josh guy was again?” Kevin asked sitting down on the couch.

Maya raised her eyebrows. “I didn’t. He’s 15.” If I had had any doubt about if they were genetically related, I would have certainly believed them. All three of them bulged their eyes out as soon as she finished speaking.

“He’s 15!” Joe exclaimed. “He’s a year older than you!”

She rolled her eyes. “Your point is?”

“You shouldn’t date people that are older than you.” Nick frowned.

I let my jaw drop as I narrowed my eyes at Nick. “You did not just say that.” Maya began laughing as soon I commented immediately realizing what I was implying. It took Nick a few seconds to comprehend. And when he did, his eyes widened in horror as he took in what words he had spoken.

“No-I didn’t mean it like that.” Nick stuttered.

“Really? What did you mean?” I asked crossing my arms. I was enjoying watching him squirm as he tried to dig himself out of the hole he created.

Nick groaned before turning to Maya. “Go on the date. I’m sure Josh is an okay guy.”

“But that doesn’t mean we don’t get to ‘talk’ to him before you go out tonight.” Kevin added.

The next half hour passed by quickly as Maya impatiently waited for the hands on the clock to reach six. It took me awhile to soothe her and calm her down as she was getting herself worked up. Josh arrived on time and the poor boy had to go through an interrogation that even I felt sorry for him.

Nick and I were walking back to the arena together as the concert time neared us. I pulled my sweater closer to my body as the cold air whistled through the air. Nick’s warm hand was enveloped around mine generating warmth throughout my entire body as we swung our hands.

“Kevin and Joe were so hard on Josh.” I complained to Nick.

Nick laughed. “I backed out the minute I made that statement. I didn’t even realize what I said till I thought it through.”

I punched Nick lightly on the arm. “You better not have meant it.”

We were stepped inside the arena and found ourselves backstage with tech crew all around us trying to get ready for tonight’s concert. Nick’s eyes darted around quickly before pressing his lips against me and touching his forehead on mine. “Did that make it up to you?”

I wrapped my arms around his neck letting Nick pull my body close to his. “How about a little bit more?”

Nick chuckled throwing his head back ever so slightly. He brought his lips down to mine
lasting much longer than last time. This time it was I who had to pull back first after becoming breathless. “That definitely made up for the comment.”

Now I’m speechless
Over the edge and I’m just breathless
I never thought that I’d catch this love bug again
Hopeless, head over heels in the moment
I never thought that I’d get hit by this love bug again
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess who's on Spring Breakkkkkkkkkk?!?!?!? Expect a lot of updates this week because of it. Just a heads up, if do no already know, this story is going to be finished before the summer starts. Sorry, there is not going to be a third part. But don't worry. The end isn't near yet.

Silly Nick. Cady is a year younger than him...how could he have forgotten? =]

Love,
Kodhai <3