‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Good Together

“Hi,” Rob said as I opened the door to the apartment. Our buzzer went off at 7am and I was not ready for it. I was startled half to death. I was ready to go to the hospital and just waiting on Gabe to get his shit together so we could go.

“I missed you,” He said and hugged me tight.

“What’s wrong?” I started crying and held him tighter.

“Sade,” He laughed pulling away from me. “Nothing is wrong…I promise,” He teared up too and kissed my forehead. “Please, stop crying. I just came to see you and Gabe. I missed you guys and I needed some time for me too.”

“Okay, I’m sorry…”I laughed. “I’m still crazy hormonal.” I closed the door behind him.

“I figured as much!’ Rob laughed as he laid on the couch.

“Gabe! Rob’s here!” I yelled down the hall.

“What’s his crusty ass doing here so early?” Gabe asked strolling out in just boxer briefs and damp hair.

“Why don’t you have clothes on?” I shook my head. We were going to be late with Rob stopping by, but he didn’t even have clothes on, so we would surely be a lot later than i’d like.

“Rob’s seen all of this before,” He said used his hands to showcase his lanky body.

“Yeah, nothing good to see,” Rob said and got up to give Gabe a hug.

“I’m assuming everything is okay…Sadler’s not crying too much,” Gabe said and came to my side.

“No, I just needed to get out. I have been going crazy. I love her, but it’s a lot of sitting and a lot of her in pain, so it’s hard,” Rob said as he went into our kitchen and poured himself a glass of OJ.

“We are headed to the hospital…I know you may not want to return to a hospital or whatever, but you can see the babes?”

“I would love to see them,” Rob smiled widely.

“Good! Gabe go get dressed,” I instructed and started a bag. “Victoria’s gonna meet us over there at some point too.” I told Rob.

“Oh good. I haven’t seen her in forever. I’m just relieved to be here…have some me time right now, is that wrong?” Rob asked nervously.

“No, no of course not! You can only take so much and you need your own time to save both of you at the same time. Believe me, it’s nice to have Gabe with me with all of this right now, but at times before I was like, ‘bitch I need to go do me,’” I laughed. “He’d get so smothering, which while nice because he loved me, it was in fact smothering me and making me not want to be with him like I should have wanted.”

“It’s just also hard to watch her try and walk again like a baby dear. She wasn’t out that long, but she’s not the best on her feet and she’s frustrated and embarrassed and lashes out.” Rob teared up.

“She’s reverting to old ways and I fear we won’t make it…that this is going to break us.”

“Do you want to see this through? No judgement. I want you both happy obviously. And there is no shame in this tearing you both apart…maybe you need these few hours away each day and a day or two for yourself to help?”

“You know I would do absolutely anything for her and I used to feel like despite her quirks and her good heart she would do the same for me, but didn’t show it the same as me and had to accept that, but I don’t think she loves me as deeply as I love her…”

“I can only tell you what she tells me and she seems deeply and madly in love with you. Love scares Meg, as you know and I think she never wants to show if she loves someone more than they love her, but…I think you guys are equal in love for each other.”

“I need some time to think. I don’t want to do anything drastic obviously.” Rob wiped his tears away.

“Of course. We support you always. Love you,” I went and hugged him tight. I knew all too well how he was feeling and I am sure Gabe felt that way too.

“Love you too. Thank you…” Rob sighed as he hugged me tighter.

“Let me finish getting ready and kick Gabe into gear and we can head out,” I said as we parted.

“Hey, we need to make a day with Rob,” I whispered to Gabe as I walked into our room.

“What’s happening?” He asked nervously.

“It’s just a lot to deal with and Meg is a lot to deal with…he just needed some ‘Rob’ time and we should help distract him today too,” I smiled.

“Sounds good. Toss me my shirt?” Gabe asked holding his hands out for me to toss his shirt to him.

“Good catch,” I laughed and went to dig out an outfit from my drawers.

Gabe and I hurriedly got ready and took Rob with us to the hospital. Things were a bit tense in the car and I don’t know why. It just felt like a huge elephant was riding with us too and for no reason. I genuinely wanted Rob and Meg to be happy; together or separately. Meg was an amazing person and loved hard, but was also not the easiest person at times. She was strong willed and I think that’s what drew everyone to her.

“These are your niece and nephew,” I smiled widely as they brought the babies into our room for us to spend time together.

“Congratulations you two,” Rob was chocked up. Gabe walked over and put his arm around him and playfully grabbed the back of his neck and they hovered over the babies.

“They are doing so well and are super strong,” The nurse said as she took their vitals. “Atticus has made it almost a week without needing assistance with his breathing…so they are both on track to go home in a few days.”

“That is the best news ever!” I was so excited.

“They’ve both gained some ounces too and hopefully in the next few days they will be fitting into a carseat - that’s the real test and then they can go home.”

“Come on kids, let’s get fat!” Gabe chanted to them in a hushed voice.

“Your dad was a chubby kid…I have faith you two can get up to weight.” Rob laughed.

“Where are my babies?!” Victoria said giddily as she entered the room. “Look who it is!” She exclaimed and hugged Rob.

“How’s Meg doing?” She asked and I held my breath.

“She’s hanging in there…She’ll be back to her old self soon enough,” He smiled and almost sounded hopeful.

“Awesome. I’ve been thinking about her a lot. She’ll be back and kicking ass soon,” Vic smiled.

“Can we hold them?” Rob asked.

“You just have to change into some stuff…” I said and turned to grab them some smocks and masks and ones for Gabe and myself.

“We don’t need to wear these anymore, babe.”Gabe said lightly.

“I know, but until they are released we are all wearing them.” I snapped a bit. I didn’t mean to. I knew he was trying to help me adjust to holding them and treating them like normal babies.

“Sorry, you can wear the smock, but don’t have to wear the masks.”
Rob and Vic put the smocks on without hesitation while Gabe and I were bickering. I picked up Atticus and handed him to Victoria and gave Sloane to Rob.

“She looks just like you, Fantasy.” Rob smiled at me as he cradled and rocked Sloane.

“Thank God, right?” Gabe laughed. He put his hand on the back of my neck and massaged a bit, it felt nice and supportive.

“So does Atticus,” Rob said peaking over at him in Vics arms. “Did you even use Gabe to have these babies?”

“Truth be told I don’t know the father.”

“He gave us some cute kids though.” Gabe smirked.

“When Meg gets better…I want this…” Rob said choked up and I started to tear up too.

“They aren’t allowed to date tho. Your kids are not allowed to date my children.” Gabe said matter-of-factly.

“Believe me, the wouldn’t want to.” Rob was obsessed with Sloane and looking at her like she was his. I wanted that for him; for him and Meg if that was the case.

“Switch?” Victoria suggested. I took Atticus and Rob passed her Sloane.

“Hey little man!” Rob said as he took Atticus from my arms. He fussed a little bit and then settled down.

“You’ve both got amazing parents, so make sure you are good to them when you get older.” Rob cooed.

“Stop…you’re making me so emotional,” I half laughed and cried. “You two with the babies is like the greatest thing ever.”

“Well, we can also give them back at any time, so it works better for us.” Vic laughed.

We spent a few more hours with the babies and fed them and I made Rob change diapers to keep him occupied. I think some time with the babies was good, but also rough on him considering Meg’s condition and the possibility she may not be able to have kids of her own.

It was hard, but we all left the hospital and went to get food and adult beverages. It was nice to feel like a real person today. I had been stuck at home or in the hospital the last few weeks and it was nice to be out with friends. it was nice to be out at a restaurant. I wished I had my babies with me, but this sort of normalcy was needed. Very needed.

“No more for you sir,” I laughed taking a shot away from Rob and then Gave. “Sirs.”

They had successfully gotten drunk. I think Gabe got drunk so quick from exhaustion, but he was trying to distract Rob. Rob probably got drunk so quick from the same and being sad. I had two beers and was now the “Mom” of the group, which made me laugh because now I really was.

“Lets go boys,” I stood up and offered my hands to them both. “Victoria had the right idea leaving early,” I smiled as pulled Gabe out of the table and then Rob.

“Sorry, Sadler…” Rob tried to stay straight faced, but busted out laughing.

“Sorry, Sadler,” Gabe mocked him. I just shook my head.

I called and Uber and it was just pulling up outside. Thankfully, both of the boys could walk and got themselves into the car. I sat up front with the driver and we took off for our place.

“Come on,” I opened the door for Gabe and Rob to get out as we pulled up to home. They clumsily stumbled out.

“I gotta go home,” Rob said.

“You’re staying with us and you can go home tomorrow,” I linked arms with him and pulled him with us.

“Thank you. Don’t tell Meg or her parents…” He squeezed my arm.

“You know Meg’s parents would not care,” I laughed. “I won’t tell either of them though, don’t worry.” Meg’s parents were very laid back and loved Rob so much.

I filed my drunk men into the apartment and grabbed them waters first. I grabbed some blankets from the closet to make up a bed for Rob.

“Babe, stop — you are not supposed to be doing a lot,” Gabe came and took the blankets from me.

“Babe,” I mocked with a smile. “I can make a bed though.”

“Okay, okay, make that bed,” He smacked me on my ass and watched me walk away. I felt a little embarrassed, but also turned on that he still finds me sexy with all the extra weight and all.

I made up Rob’s bed and he laid down and was out like a light. I put a cover over him and turned out the lights and walked into our bedroom.

Gabe was a sleep in the middle of the bed with his pants half off and only one shoe off. I took off his other shoe and took off his jeans and put them in the hamper. I gazed at him as he was sprawled out. He was so handsome and so sexy and I loved him despite everything.

I crawled up the bed next to him and kissed his chest lightly and then his neck and the side of his head. I felt his arm come around me from behind and pull me in. I gave him a kiss on the lips and he kissed back.

“You’ve not been asleep. You just wanted me to undress you,” I laughed into his lips.

“Mmhmm,” He smiled and opened his eyes. “I’m not even that drunk,” He put his hand not he back of my head and pulled me back to him in a passionate kiss.

“That I don’t believe,” I teased.

“I could show you, but I can’t…” He kissed my neck.

“You don’t know how badly I want you to show me, but I can always help you…”

“You’ve helped me in so many ways over the last two weeks. I have a lot of making up to do to you,” He caresses my back with his hand and squeezed my butt.

“You certainly do, I’ll just add this one to the bucket,” I kissed him deeply.

***
“Welcome Home!!” The crowd gathered in my living room exclaimed as we came in with the babies.

“Oh my God!” I immediately teared up. I put Sloane’s baby carrier down and went and hugged Meg. She looked frail, but better than I had imagined.

“You are hugging me like I almost died or something,” She cried and held me tighter.

“Too soon,” I laughed.

“Welcome home,” She whispered. “Can I see those little cherubs or what?”

“Welcome home to you! Why didn’t you tell me?” I was mad that we didn’t get to do something for her.

“All the fussing around me for the last month has been too much. I’m low-key now,” She smiled.

“Low-key doesn’t mean you’re not high maintenance, you know that right?” Rob teased her and they both seemed happy.

“Oh, of course not, Rob. Don’t be silly,” She turned to him and he came to her side, kissing the side of her head.

Emily, Rob, Meg, Ian, Levi, Meg’s parents, and mine and Gabe’s parent’s all crunched into the living room. We put the babies seats on the coffee table and everyone immediately circled them to say

“Hello.”

The moment seemed so perfect. I gave Gabe a look who was on the opposite side of the group and smiled at him. He looked up and we both smiled at each other.

“Love you,” I mouthed to him and he said it back.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know it's taken me a million years, but I do hate leaving things unfinished. I have 1 more chapter.