Broken Glass and Bleeding Hearts

Chapter Seven

When I opened my eyes it all seemed like a dream. Part of it too good to be true, the other part too unreal. It took a minute for me to remember everything from last night. But I knew three things.

Matt and I had obviously made it clear we cared about each other as more than just friends. He’d kissed me, and I really liked it. And he was a vampire? But I knew it wasn’t a dream. It had happened.

I could hear my mom and Star talking downstairs and then I heard Matt’s voice. Matt was here!? I flew out of bed and to my closet and had gotten dressed and was brushing my teeth when it hit me. How could I hear them talking from the kitchen downstairs in clearly in my room? I thought about it all the way down the stairs. “She lives!” Star joked when she saw me.

Matt’s eyes met mine and I knew there was something he wanted to say. “Yeah I do.”

“Do you understand now sweetie?” My mom asked.

“Yeah.” I looked at Star and Matt spoke.

“She knows everything.” He told me.

“So when do I start changing?” I asked looking at my mom.

“Around your 16th birthday. It can vary from a week before to a week after.”

“I could hear you guys crystal clear in my room.”

“That happened to me a week before my birthday. If you hear whispers then your vampire hearing kicks in.” Matt answered. That is when I realized that September 30th was in a week.

“You aren’t freaked out yet?” I asked star. Her birthday was in two weeks.

“Not yet.” She shrugged.

“It’s worse after you sleep.” I sat down and looked at the pancakes my mom was making. One of the many things Matt had told me was that we still needed food and always would. The adult vampires would give us blood from animals or human donors as often as we needed it.

“I’m hoping that it doesn’t. I don’t want to freak out.”
“I hope you don’t. I thought it was all a dream.”

“All of it?” Matt asked trying to hide his laugh.

“Well not all of it. At first it seemed too good to be true. But that only lasted a few seconds.”

“Okay I have one thing to say to you two. Since you are obviously more than friends now I have one rule. No being mushy and affectionate are me. Got it? Got it. Good.” We both laughed at her.

“Pancakes are ready.” My mom told us and we all went to go get our food.

***

I couldn’t help but wonder how Monday morning would turn out. I was planning on walking to school that morning and when I went outside I was shocked to see Matt waiting for me. “You ready?” He asked me with a smile.

“Uh yeah.” I ran over to him and he kissed me quickly. I decided to ask as he drove towards the school. “So uh Matt? Do the guys know? About us I mean?”

He laughed at my nervousness about the subject for a second before answering. “Yeah they know. Which means that they are all waiting to welcome you and Star back into every thinkable thing we’ll drag you two along for. They’ve missed you two.”

“Well that’s good to hear.”

“I’ve really missed you Ellie.”

“I’ve missed you too Matt.” At school the first thing Zacky did was hug me. And it was a bear hug. “Zacky I missed you too. But I can’t breath!”

“Zack, man let her go!” Matt told him with a laugh.

“Sorry.” Zacky released me and Jimmy hugged me next. I felt so short next to him. Next was Brian, and finally Justin. Everyone was the same except for Justin, who seemed different and distant. They greeted Star the same way and things were as close to normal as they’d ever be. I’d asked Matt to hang out after school and he’d agreed.

“So what do you want to eat?” I yelled from the kitchen that afternoon as I looked for food. He was waiting for me in the living room as I looked for some snack food.

“Whatever you want.” I looked over to see him calmly standing in the kitchen doorway, where he had been no where near half a second ago.
“Damn it Matt! You scared me!”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. It’ll just take some getting used to. Does a sandwich sound good?”

“Sure. Let me help you.” This time he walked at human speed to come help me. A few minutes later we were on the couch watching TV as we ate. As usual there wasn’t much on TV to watch so we were flipping between music videos and cartoons. Once I finished eating my food, which was a few seconds after Matt, I moved and got settled into a good position for an afternoon of television.

I squirmed my way under Matt’s arm and settled myself against his side as I drew my legs onto the couch and bent them so my knees were in the air. Half my back rested against Matt’s side and the other half on the couch.

Matt didn’t sat anything, instead he gently rubbed my arm with his hand and I saw him smile a bit from where I was. But then I remembered what he had confessed about my blood to me the other night. “Matt?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you want me to move?”

“No. Why?”

“Because I was thinking about what you told me about how my blood smells to you. I don’t want to make it harder on you.”

“It won’t. I wont hurt you.”

“Okay. Let me know if you want me to move.”

“Will do.” About an hour later I realized there were more questions I wanted to ask Matt. I wanted to look at him, but I didn’t want to get up. So I just moved myself so that my head was on his leg by he knee. “Hi.” He laugh.

“Hi. So I have more questions Mr. Vampire.” He laughed and I smiled at him.

“Okay, well go on.”

“First off how badly do you want to drink my blood?”

“A lot.”

“On a scale of 1 to 10.”

“10.”

“Wow. Okay. Second, will I want your blood that much?”

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

“How good do I smell to you?”

“Scale of 1 to 10?”

“Of course.”

“12.”

“I must smell good. And for my final question. Will you ever drink my blood?” He looked away from me with a sigh.

“I can actually do that without getting in trouble. They say it is safer to drink blood from another young vampire or full-grown vampire instead of humans. And it’s just as good for us. But I don’t know if I could stop.”

“I know you would.”

“You smell like a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 to me remember?”

“True. But I trust you.”

“Are you offering me your blood?”

“Not today. But maybe someday.”

“Don’t worry about it Ellie.” I sat up and moved closer to his face.

“But I can’t not worry about it. You know me.”

“Good point. But Ellie as good as your blood smells, I’d rather just spend time with you like this. Without the vampire complications.”

“Okay. I know. Just thought I’d ask. You know what you should do though?”

“No what?”

“Kiss me.”
“Now that I will do.” I liked the way Matt kissed me. It was better than I’d ever dreamed it would be. That might have just been because it is real though instead of a dream. After he pulled away I settled back into my spot to finish watching the music videos.

I wasn’t sure what was going to happen in the future but I didn’t care at the moment. As long as I had Matt there with me. Regardless of if he was there as a best friend, a boyfriend, or some of both. Just as long as he was there.

But I really didn’t know exactly what was coming for us.