‹ Prequel: Weather Patterns.
Status: Finished 4/08/2009. Do not read this. Please.

The Stars Are Fading Away

Chapter Thirty-Six.

Think twice before you touch my girl
Come around, I'll let you feel the burn


I stared open mouthed, not believing he was here. No one noticed I had come into the
room until Wren’s eyes flickered to my face, holding my gaze.

What was he doing here? Couldn’t he just leave me alone?

Derrick halfway turned around, following Wren’s stare.

“Amber!” He rushed to my side, pulling me back into Mason’s room, away from Wren.

“Let her talk for herself, Cutner.”

Derrick stopped walking to glare at Wren, then turning back to me.

“Come on, Amber, it’s okay. He won’t hurt you,” he murmured to me. He tugged my hand harder in the way of the door.

“Get the hell out, Fletcher. No one wants you here.”

“Why don’t you let her speak for herself.”

This time both Derrick and Mason glared at Wren. I would have thought he’d buckle under their gaze, but he stood his ground.

Mason suddenly turned to me, walking over to where Derrick had froze. He rested his hands lightly on my shoulders and beckoned me foreword, my back to his chest, facing Wren.

“Alright, Amber, speak for yourself,” he urged.

I quivered slightly, and took a deep breath. “Wren I– I–”

“Are you coming?” he cut me off.

“You wanted her to talk, let her talk,” Derrick growled harshly. Wren fell silent, staring at me.

“I… I don’t want this. I don’t need it, and I don’t want it. You– All you’ve done is make my life miserable. For months. And I can’t put up with it anymore. I can’t live like this, I can’t–” I cut myself off, taking another deep breath. Mason gave my shoulders a small squeeze.

“I’m not doing this anymore, Wren.”

He continued to stare at me, the same expression on his face.

“So,” Mason stated, in a surprisingly calm voice. “I think you should go.”

“Not doing what anymore?” Wren said, still addressing me.

“Putting up with you.”

Anger flashed in his eyes, and I took an involuntary step backwards, into Mason.

“Bitch,” he spat. “You’re fucking lucky I even kept you around. Cheat.”

Mason’s hands tightened, then let go of my shoulders, pushing me behind him.

Wren kept talking.

“You deserved everything you got. You think I enjoyed it? You think I enjoyed being with a fucking whore? You’d fuck anyone off the street. You’ve probably blown everyone in this house and–”

He was cut off by Mason and Derrick, lunging at him at the same time.

I tried to tell myself I didn’t care, but his words hurt me. I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to fight off tears. I closed my eyes, not wanting to watch a fight.

I felt another pair of arms wrap around me, and was surprised to look up and find Coby, who had been standing off to the side earlier.

“You’re okay,” he whispered. “You’re okay. Don’t listen to him.”

I leaned back into him, burying me face in his shirt. I ignored the sounds in the room, and was vaguely aware of Coby half-dragging me into Mason’s room.

I could make out the shouting, but I didn’t want to process the words. My brain did anyways.

“GET OUT! DON’T EVER TOUCH HER AGAIN!”

I heard the loud slamming of a door, and I looked up. I cold see into the living room through the open door. Derrick was leaning over the sink, his hand holding his bleeding nose. I immediately felt guilty.

Coby’s arms were replaced by someone else’s.

“It’s okay. You’re okay now, Amber,” Mason said, quietly whispering into my ear. I took a deep breath and nodded.

“He’s gone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics are from Think Twice by Eve 6.

How do you like the layout? I went on a layout-making spree late last night.
I'll post the epilogue later this week. This is it, lovers :)