Sequel: Worth Waiting For

It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On

Forever and Ever and a Day

Image

I hummed to myself as I strung garlands on the tree in mine and Lauren’s apartment. Christmas is my favorite time of year and in just one short week; the Jonas’ would be back in California until January 3rd. Good enough for me. That gives me a week and a half with them… mainly Joseph, until they have to go back to Australia until mid February. Today’s date is the 13th of December. Lauren was out, doing some last minute Christmas shopping. Around 7 at night my cell rang…

“Hey,” I said, excitedly answering my phone.

“Hey are you watching it?” Joe asked.

“What?”

“The meteor shower.”

“What meteor shower?”

“It was on the news. They said there’s some huge meteor shower tonight. Well… last night for me. I don’t want you to miss it since I did.”

“Joe, I’ve been decorating for the past nine hours. I don’t know anything about any meteor showers. I could use a regular shower though.”

“Well, go up on the roof and check it out.” He said.

“Now?”

“Yeah, it’s supposed to start in like two minutes. Lyss! This is a once-in-a-lifetime celestial event. Get going.”

“Okay, okay. I’m getting. I’m going.” I said, standing up from the couch and grabbing my keys and locking the apartment door behind me. I went to the stairs and started climbing up to the roof.

“Are you running?” he asked.

“I’m running! I’m running! Who knew you were such an astronomy buff?”

“Hurry!”

“What has gotten into you?” I asked, clearly miffed. I opened the door to the roof and looked up at the sky.

“Nice night.” He said, though his voice sounded much closer. I looked to the left and there he was… standing there. Joe. My Joe. Here… in California. Early!

“Oh, my God!” I exclaimed, hanging up my phone. “You’re here! What are you doing here?”

He smiled at me as I spoke and laughed at how excited I was. I closed the door and walked to him.

“Happy to see me?” he asked, as I ran the last few feet.

“Beyond happy! Ecstatic!” I exclaimed jumping into his arms. “I can’t believe you’re here! And look at me I’m covered in loose strands of garland, and I smell like pine needles and hot cocoa.”

“It’s an aphrodisiac.” He said setting me down.

“You’re here and you did all this?” I asked, looking around the roof. He had set up white lights and a table set for two with a single rose in a vase.

“You like?”

“I love, but you didn’t have to do this. I mean, you’re here. It’s enough. It’s more than enough. It’s…”

“Could you shut up now so I can kiss you?” he asked, smiling. I smiled and took his face in my hands and kissed him.

“So there is no meteor shower?” I asked.

“No meteor shower.” He said, shaking his head.

“So you used the entire cosmos to trick me?”

“I like to think big.”

“So what is going on? Why are you here?”

“I’m kissing my girlfriend on the roof.” He said simply, putting his arms around my waist and pulling me closer. He leaned in and kissed me again. I pulled away smiling.

“But why?” I asked, bouncing on my toes.

“It’s the pine needles and hot cocoa thing. I told you, huge turn-on.”

I leaned up and kissed him again. I can’t believe he’s really here.

“Explain yourself.” I said. A permanent smile attached to my face.

“They gave us an extra week off so we came back early. I arranged the whole thing with Lauren. She’s been with Kevin the past few hours while I was setting this up. The rest of the family is back at the house.”

“Wow… I can’t believe it.”

“Believe it baby.” He said, smiling at me.

“What is that smell?”

“All your favorite Chinese food.” He said, bringing me to the table laden with food. “You open the sparkling cider and I’ll fix you a plate.”

“Okay,” I said, grabbing the bottle as he walked to get our plates. “I’m so glad you’re here!” I exclaimed, putting down the bottle and running into his embrace again.

****

“I’m so happy,” I said. Joe and I were lying on a blanket on the roof looking up at the non meteor showered sky. My head was on his chest as his arm was wrapped around me.

“Me too,” he said, kissing the top of my head. “You know you can’t do this in Australia. The lights in Sydney are so bright you almost never see the stars.”

“Yeah, but it’s Australia.” I said.

“Yeah,” he groaned.

“Wait, are you tired of Australia?” I asked.

“I’m tired of not being around you.” He said.

“Yeah, but you can’t be tired of Australia.”

“Just a little bit.” He said, holding his thumb and forefinger less than an inch apart. “Now come on.”

“Where are we going?” I asked as he stood up.

“Well… everyone else wants to see you too.”

“And by everyone else you really mean…”

“Yupp, Frankie,” he said, nodding his head. I laughed and followed him downstairs.

****

Christmas Eve day, Lauren and I were at the Jonas household, our bags in the guestroom, set to spend the night. The two of us were sitting in the kitchen with Frankie, stringing together popcorn and cranberries. Denise and Kevin Sr. were making sure all of the lights on the outside were in working order. Nick was stringing the lights on the tree and Kevin and Joe were arguing about the order of which the ornaments should go on the tree; from most important to least. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

“Be very careful with your needle Tank,” Lauren said.

“I know. Geez I’m not five.” He said, rolling his eyes at us.

“Okay, because it’s really, really pointy.” She said.

“Geez, Laur, I know!” he said, throwing his hands in the air. “See? Look!”

“Very nice Tank,” I said, smiling at him.

“You know what I really like?” Lauren asked. “Your cranberry-to-popcorn ratio… Mel’s more of a one-to-one kind of gal, but I’m like you. I like a lot of cranberry, a little popcorn thrown in for flair.” She said, “Yours is pretty, too.” She whispered to me.

“Thank you.”

“Yeah… okay… moving on…” Frankie said, grabbing for more popcorn.

“It’s weird you know?” Lauren all of a sudden whispered to me.

“What’s weird?” I whispered back.

“I don’t know. It just hit me. These could be the ones.” She said, glancing up at Kevin.

“The ones?” I asked, looking at her confused.

The ones, you know?” she asked, looking at me and smiling.

“Yeah,” I said slowly, “The ones,” I said, looking up at Joe. At that moment he turned and looked towards the kitchen where he caught my eye. He winked and I smiled.

“What are you guys talking about?” Frankie asked.

“Nothing Tank. Absolutely nothing,” I said, ruffling his hair.

****

Christmas morning I woke up to the sound of laughter coming from downstairs. I opened my eyes and sat up in bed and looked around the guest room Lauren and I were staying in. Lauren was gone from her bed and the door was open a crack. I climbed out of bed and put my robe on and slid my feet into my slippers and walked downstairs. Everyone was in the living room talking.

“Good morning Melissa,” Denise said, walking out of the kitchen, a tray of mugs in her hands.

“Good morning, why didn’t anyone wake me?” I asked, sitting down in between Joe and Frankie. I leaned over and gave Joe a kiss.

“Because it’s Christmas morning… we wait for everyone to wake up on their own before opening anything.” Joe explained.

“Really, you could have woken me up.” I said, taking a coffee mug.

“We weren’t waiting long. Joseph came down only five minutes before you.” Kevin Sr. said.

“Alright then, we can begin!” I exclaimed, smiling at everyone. They all laughed and we started the Christmas festivities.

I watched anxiously as Joe opened his present from me. I have a strong feeling he will love it.

“Lyss! No way, no way!” he exclaimed, his jaw dropping open. “Thank you!” he said, pulling me into him and kissing the top of my head.

“So you like it?” I asked sarcastically.

“I love it. You know, this only gives me more reason to follow you around with the video camera.” He said teasingly.

“Yeah… didn’t think of that.” I said, tapping my chin. “I’m kidding! I’m glad you like it.”

“What is it?” Nick asked.

“It’s a video editing software that I download on my computer to make all those videos I make of us even more fantastic than they already are.” Joe said excitedly.

“Cool,” Nick said, then continued to open his presents.

“Open yours now.” Joe said, handing me his present.

“Teeny, tiny box.” I observed.

“Must be jewelry.” Lauren said.

“Oh yes, it must.” I said.

“Open it already!” Joe said.

“Geez. Didn’t your mother ever tell you patience is a virtue?”

“Yes. And I never believed her.”

I rolled my eyes and unwrapped the present. It was a velvet jewelry box. I wonder if it actually contains jewelry… I opened it up and gasped at the marvelous piece of silver in front of me.

“Joe… it’s… beautiful.”

“It’s a promise ring. It means that, I promise to love you forever” he said, taking it out of the box and slipping it on my finger.

“Forever and ever?” I whispered.

“Forever and ever and a day.” He whispered back, placing his forehead on mine and giving me a kiss.

****

Midnight. Everyone else was in bed asleep. I however couldn’t sleep; I got out of bed and silently walked downstairs. I could see the glow of the lights on the tree from the bottom of the stairs. I also saw someone’s silhouette which startled me at first but then I recognized its familiar shape. I walked over, making some noise so I wouldn’t startle them.

“Hey,” I whispered, slinking my arms around his neck and kissing his cheek.

“Come here,” he whispered. I walked around the couch and went to sit next to him but he pulled me onto his lap. “Lyss, have you ever seen snow for Christmas?”

“No, I wish I could.” I said, leaning into Joe’s warmth. We sat together, staring out the window behind the tree at the dark California night.

“Next year, I’m taking you to New York for Christmas.”

“Oh, Christmas in the city!” I quietly exclaimed, turning to face him. “That would be absolutely wonderful.”

“I thought so,” he said gazing into my eyes. “I love you.”

“Yeah, I know,” I said, smirking at him. He rolled his eyes and smiled. “I love you too. So much.” I said, leaning in and kissing him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okayyyyyy Gilmore-ness

A. The very beginning between Joe and Melissa is from season 7... the episode is called "The Great Stink". Logan (Joe) is in town from London (Australia) and surprises Rory (Melissa).
B. The part at the Jonas house between Lauren, Melissa, and Frankie is a combo of scenes. The first part about the popcorn-cranberry thing is from season 7 episode "Santa's Secret Stuff" where Lorelai (Lauren) and Rory (Melissa) are talking about something in front of GiGi (Frankie). The second part about "the ones" is from season 6 "A Vineyard Valentine" where Lorelai (Melissa) and Rory (Lauren) (yes that's right... I switched them around) are talking about Luke (Joe) and Logan (Kevin) being the ones. Figure it out ;D

So, do you like how Joe surprised Melissa like that?
What do you think of Joe's present for Mel?

C/R/S

~Steph <3

P.S.
SEQUEL coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!