I Don't Want It, I Just Need It.

Five

“ ‘Owzit feel to be ‘ome?”

I’d been dreading the question ever since I’d stepped off the plane. I took a long, deep drag of my cigarette as I searched for an answer. Sensing Curtis growing impatient at my side. All I could muster was a shrug.

“Christ, don’ be too enthusiastic love” He smirked, “Don’t want you ‘urtin ye…” He winced as I nudged him playfully in the side, giggling softly behind my cigarette.

“It’s different” I nodded, finally deciding on some words. “It’s very different”

“Less sunneh” He beamed, standing from the railing and stretching his arms high above his head.

“A lot less sunny” I grinned.

“Sunneh” He teased, eyebrow crooked at me.

“Sunny” I agreed. Flicking the ash gathered at the tip of my Marlboro.

“Sunneh” He argued, poking me in the side.

I rolled my eyes and gave in. “Sunneh” I sighed, putting extra emphasis on my now forced northern lilt. “There, are you happy?”

“Happeh” He nodded, smiling proudly and folding his arms across his chest.“ ‘s one less thing tha’s different” He concluded, “One down, only…” He prompted me with a subtle cock of his head.

“Oh…about, a million to go”I smiled awkwardly as he shook his head in amusement and slung a heavy arm around my shoulders, resting his head against mine.

“Well we should get started” He whispered softly, “Wha’s first?”

“I’d fucking love some marmite on toast” I giggled, chucking my cigarette to the ground. Blowing the last remnants of smoke from my pursed lips out across the Sheffield skyline. “And then I guess I should go back out there”

Curtis smiled eagerly and rubbed his hands together, heading back inside from the terrace.
“Marmite never changes” He chirped, motioning for me to follow him. “That, Verity Ann is a fact”

&&

I felt Oliver’s eyes burning into me as I crossed the kitchen, making a beeline for the refrigerator. “Nu-uh”

I squealed as Curtis collided with me, pushing me away from the fridge and towards the breakfast bar Oliver was perched at. Forcing me to look at him the first time that day, the first time since the heated night before.“ ‘ide the fucking crockery Curt, ye don’ know what this ‘uns gonna d…”

“I’m makin’ ye toast” Curtis proclaimed proudly, glaring sideways at Oliver as he shoved the toaster plug into the socket and made a dive for the bread bin.

“All out mate” Oliver smirked, waving a hand at the crumbs on his now empty plate. Mushed up bread visible in his mouth as he spoke. “It was delici…”

“See, different” I mumbled under my breath, if only to prove the point to myself.

“I’ll jus’ pop to the shops love” Curtis grinned, already heading towards his jacket and shoes. “It’s jus’…”

“You don’t need to go to the store” I assured him, ignoring Oliver’s guffaws at my side.

“Store?” He teased, “Are you gonna take the elevator and…”

“Fuck Off Oliver” I scolded, tapping my fingernails on the counter.

“ ‘ll be what? Five minutes Ol?” Curtis smiled awkwardly, glancing between Oliver and I. Receiving only a meagre shrug from his friend. “ ‘S about two minutes from ‘ere” He nodded, slinging his jacket on and patting his pockets for his wallet.

“Please, Curt, I’m fine….at least let me pay, I’ll grab my…”

“Vee… ‘s fine” He smiled, looking back and forth between us once again. Giving me an apologetic smile. “Jus’ please don’t …kill each other, alrigh’?”

The silence grew ever more awkward with every second Curtis was away. With every second I knew the both of us were counting silently in our heads. I shifted my weight from one foot, to the other. And then back again. Horribly aware of Oliver watching my every tiny move.

“I’m gonna go jump in the showe…”

“ ‘E wont be five minutes” Oli mumbled, smiling weakly as I glanced up at him, my eyebrow raised sceptically. “If ‘e runs, maybe” He smirked, “ But you an’ I both know ‘es not one for that”

I giggled softly and looked back down at my feet, realising I was tracing a circle eight on the hardwood floor with my pointed toes. “Ye use’ to wear my carpet out doin’ that”

I jumped from my daydream, and put my feet back together. My cheeks flushing pink. “Sorry”

He shook his head dismissively and poked his fingertips against the crumbs scattered across his plate, licking them from his fingers afterwards.“ ‘s no bother”

I nodded and wrapped my arms around myself, rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. “So how long do you think Cur…”

“Couldn’ tell ye” Oliver shrugged, flicking his head as hair fell in his eyes. “Could be five minutes? Could be never?”

I opened my mouth to question but he cut me off instantly.

“ ‘E’s got a thing for the lass behind the counter”

I rolled my eyes, smirking to myself.

“She’s alrigh’” He continued, “Not a bad fuc…”

“I really need a shower” I interrupted, knowing only too well where this was headed. “ Tell Curtis that I’ll…”

“Verity”

I winced as he grabbed my wrist. I’d hoped to just bow out valiantly; obviously Oliver had other ideas.

“Oliver?”

“Where’d ye go last night?” I fidgeted awkwardly under his gaze, scratching at my wrist once again. “I….Jake was worried love, ye know ‘e doesn…”

“I went to The Oak” I smiled meekly, “Well what used to be The…”

“Ye got plans today?”

A weird sensation tickled deep within my stomach as his thumb slowly brushed up and down my skin. I fought his eyes for as long as I could, giving in after an embarrassingly short few seconds. Melting the instant that I did.

I hated him an incredible amount, but I knew that I would always love him that tiny bit m…

“Cuz I’ve got ma bird comin over an’ I’ve been on tour f’weeks love. Things are gonna get pretty mess…”

“You’re so fucking vulgar Oliver” I spat. Snatching my wrist from harshly from his grasp and glaring at him. The feeling in my stomach, being replaced by another; another I associated with Oliver.

I could feel the bile rising in my throat rapidly. Only half of me dismissing the idea of just vomiting on the bastard right there and then.

“ Who knew Americans knew such big words?” He smirked.

“Who knew everyone had the right fucking idea about Oliver Sykes?” I retorted. “I wouldn’t bother your girlfriend, love. She’ll only get in the way of you fucking yourself”
♠ ♠ ♠
They'll get nicer to eachother, I promise.
Give it time.

comments please. x