‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

I Need You

Marcus entered the Great Hall the next morning with bags under his eyes. He stared at the floor as he walked, completely exhausted. He slumped against the table, pushing his plate aside to rest his head. Richard and Arnold sat beside him and talked in hushed whispers.

Anne made sure that there were several students between herself and Arabella when she sat down. Arabella had been watching her ever since they had walked out of the common room with the other Gryffindors in their year and Anne was becoming more annoyed by the minute. Every time she asked Arabella about it she would avoid the subject or talk about something different.

As she poured herself some pumpkin juice Anne looked over at the Slytherin table. She set the jug down with a thud and bit her lip. She could see Marcus resting his head on the table and next to him Richard and Arnold were watching him nervously. Richard glanced up and saw her staring. He looked away again quickly and said something to Arnold. Richard gently nudged Marcus who sat up immediately and rubbed his eyes slightly. Anne could see how tired he was from where she sat. Arnold poured pumpkin juice into a goblet and pushed it towards Marcus.

Marcus picked it up and drank the juice steadily, his eyes still half closed. Anne sighed and picked at the bacon infront of her, she would have to wait until break to be able to speak to Marcus. Students around her stood and made their way for the door. Anne stood also when she saw Arabella making her way towards her. She hurried from the hall to her first class.

Anne caught Marcus just before he walked into the dungeons to the Slytherin common room at lunch. He turned and his eyebrows rose in surprise when he saw her there.

“Are you okay?” she asked quietly, pulling him away from the students who were trying to get past them.

Marcus allowed himself to be manoeuvred outside into the cool air. “Tired.”

Anne smiled slightly, just the corners of her mouth turning up. “Yeah, I can see that.” She looked up at him and placed her hand on his cheek. “But why? What’s wrong?”

Marcus frowned faintly and took her hand in his. “Just tired. I didn’t get much sleep last night, that’s all.” He suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at her when she quirked her eyebrow disbelievingly. “Honest.”

Anne let out her breath in a huff and glared at him. “Fine. That’s all.”

“Exactly.” He whispered and leaned down and kissed her cheek. “We’ll talk later.” He kissed her again and then walked away.

Anne stamped her foot and walked back into the castle. She wanted to help him, but she couldn’t if he wouldn’t let her.

“Anne!” Arabella called from behind as Anne made her way up the stairs.

Anne ignored her but Arabella chased after her and tapped her shoulder roughly. “What?” Anne snapped as she turned.

“Feeling better?” Arabella asked rather smugly. “I didn’t get to ask you this morning.”

“Much.” Anne replied shortly and kept walking. Arabella lengthened her stride to keep up and Anne’s nails bit into her palms as she clenched her fists.

“I don’t think you are. I really think you might be coming down with something.” Arabella spoke sympathetically but Anne could hear the falseness in her voice.

Anne stopped suddenly and spun to face Arabella. “What do you want?” She shouted. Several students started and stared. Anne glowered at them and they moved on, talking to each other excitedly.

“Anne, I’m just concerned about you.” Arabella replied. This was the truth, she was concerned about the effect Anne’s relationship with Marcus was having.

“Like hell you are Arry,” Anne spat and glared at the girl who used to be her best friend. “I’m sick of you constantly hounding me. Stop it. I’m sick of it. Just leave me alone!” Anne wheeled around and ran towards the Gryffindor common room.

Arabella stood there, stunned. She swallowed and walked slowly after Anne. From her perspective, Marcus was the worst thing that had ever happened to Anne. All she had to do now was find a way to make Anne see that as well.

Richard and Arnold sat either side of Marcus on the long green sofa in the common room. Marcus was slouched over, his head in his hands. Arnold held a Daily Prophet in his hands but wasn’t reading it. His eyes flicked between the writing and the figure beside him. His forehead crinkled as Marcus sat completely still. He didn’t know what to make of Marcus these days. He seemed to be completely losing the plot.

Richard placed his hand on Marcus’ shoulder and shook him gently. He cleared his throat and spoke in his deep voice, “Are you okay?”

Marcus forced himself to sit up and he swivelled slightly to look at Richard. “Yeah. Just a little tired.” He turned back to stare into the fire. “Not much sleep last night.” None actually.

Arnold raised his eyebrows at Richard behind Marcus’ back. He wanted to ask about the dreams the Marcus was obviously having. Some kind of mental break down, Arnold thought as he turned back to the paper. I wonder what’s causing it. His thoughts drifted to Anne but he shook his head, sure that that would never be the answer.

Marcus watched the small flames licking the sides of the large fireplace. Students around were talking happily about the upcoming holidays. Perhaps he would convince Anne to stay at school with him. That would surely help.

They sat in the grass just behind the castle that afternoon. Marcus lay with his head in Anne’s lap, staring at the sky above. Anne slowly ran her fingers through his hair as she stared down at him.

“Anne,” he spoke quietly and Anne leaned down to hear him better. “Would you stay at school with me for the holidays?” His voice was hesitant and he fixed his eyes upon her face.

Anne smiled sadly at him. “Oh, Marcus I would, but I have to go home. We’re taking a family holiday.”

Marcus stared back at the sky and sighed slowly.

“Why?” Anne asked after a few minutes silence. “Can’t you go home?”

Marcus grimaced. “Of course I can. I just wanted to stay here,” he paused and looked back at her. “With you.”

Anne bit her lip and her hands stopped their movement. “Marcus,” she said and stopped, not knowing what to say.

Marcus pushed himself up from the ground and turned to face her. “Anne, you make everything better. Everything goes away when you are near me.” He took a deep breath and searched her face. “Everything is…right.” His heart raced as she just stared at him, bewildered. “Anne, please.”

“What?” Anne forced herself to speak.

Marcus’s forehead creased with nervousness and he gently stroked her cheek. “Please don’t ever leave me.” He looked around furtively, not knowing how to say what he wanted to say. He had never put anything like this into words before and he didn’t know how to continue. “Please, always stay with me somehow.” He pulled her to his chest and held her with a force that was almost painful. “I need you.” It was whispered so quietly that Anne only just heard it.

Anne wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. Her heart ached at the intensity of his words and she had to force herself not to speak the words she wanted so badly to say.