‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Divided In Two

Marcus sat in silence with the stone on his bed before him. The stone divided him in two – one part of him wanted to listen to what his father was saying and kill Anne before she could reveal his secret to other people. The other part of him wanted to destroy the stone so that he could never contact his father again and no-one else would ever be able to use it.

He closed his eyes and clenched his jaw tight. Both sides of him screamed against one another and battled for his attention. Marcus shook his head roughly and lay down with a thump onto the pillows.

Marcus could feel that one day he would have to make a decision about what he was going to do. Would he listen to his father and kill Anne and then Harry Potter? Or would he forget about his father in favour of Anne?

Everything was so much easier before her, the darker side of Marcus snarled. Get rid of her and then life can go back to the way it was. You can kill Harry Potter and be justified.

But why would you want to do that when it would mean losing Anne? the other part of Marcus was just as loud and desperate. Could you really kill her? I don’t think you can.

Marcus snarled and sat up, his eyes still tight shut. The two opposing arguments continued to debate violently as Marcus ripped open the curtains surrounding his bed and hurried out of the dormitory, through the common room and the dungeons to get outside.

The sun was beginning to set but there it was still light. Marcus slowed as he walked down towards the lake, towards the log beside the lake.

Other students were beginning to head back inside as Marcus walked past them. They each glanced at his thunderous face and wondered why he was so angry.

Everyone knew that Marcus and Anne were together. It had been obvious at the ball last year and even before then some people had suspected something. At first most people had been surprised. Marcus had never shown any interest in any of the girls at school; he had hardly paid attention to any of the people there. There were some people who to whom it had not seemed so entirely unexpected – they had assumed it would happen some day, but for reasons they could not quite explain.

The students raised their eyebrows and smiled slightly at each other as they passed Marcus. No-one could figure him out. His mood would change so rapidly and sometimes without any reason whatsoever that some students just thought him to be a spoilt brat.

Marcus let his fingers trail along the smooth wood as he walked around the log to sit down on it. The sun cast its setting rays across the lake and Marcus watched as the beams of light and the rippling surfaced of the lake met and seemed to dance together in harmony.

Harmony, something he doubted he was ever destined to achieve. Nothing in his life would ever just settle and be still for one moment. He did not know what would enable him to achieve this. Would he have to kill Harry Potter to be completely calm and without thought for the rest of his life? Or should he forget everything except Anne?

The two parts of him clamoured for his attention as his thoughts paused for a moment. Or maybe he would never achieve it, no matter what he chose.